• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Plastic

In2Pastry

Does anyone have a recipe for a chocolate plastic that will cover cakes nicely that they would be willing to share? I have been testing different ratios of corn syrup to chocolate but still haven't came up with anything that would cover a cake. Does anyone have a favorite purchased plastic they like to use?

Thank you.....

I use a recipe out of the Chocolate Paste Cakes from the Sugar Inspirations series to cover this cake. The modelling chocolate was a joy to use. Liquid glucose and liquid sugar are used instead of corn syrup. The recipe has been paraphrased.

To make liquid sugar, bring to a rolling boil 4 parts granulated sugar with 3 parts water. Boil for a further 3 mins. Cool and store in a glass container in a cool place, not refrigerated.

Modelling chocolate

500g/1 lb chocolate (milk, dark, white)

150g/5oz liquid glucose

50g/2oz liquid sugar

Melt chocolate, using the method you like best, but do not overheat. Warm glucose and liquid sugar in a bowl and add to the chocolate. Stir mixture with a wooden spoon. Put this into a plastic bag and store at room temp overnight before using. Do not refrigerate or condensation-->bloom may occur. Knead before using until pliable.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Thank you very much Tepee, I wil give that a shot. Do white chocolate plastics work differently than the milk or dark chocolate plastics?

Although for this particular recipe, they indicated that the same amount of chocolate is used (whether white, milk, or dark), I've read in other places that for white chocolate, you should add an extra oz. or 2.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Fatmat, chocolate plastic = modeling chocolate = chocolate clay. Used for covering cakes and also some modeling. It can also be combined with fondant (or sugarpaste) 1:1 for even better handling.

Pix as promised.

Note: The pros should be able to explain it better...I'm just a homebaker. Have been off cake-decorating for a while and was in a hurry...so the cake's not as well executed as I would have liked. Be kind.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

What do you mean, "Be kind" ?!! That cake looks terrific, Tepee. :smile:

I didn't notice this thread before....here's what I use. I believe I got this formula from Geraldine Randlesome many years ago.

500 grams white or bittersweet chocolate, chopped small

5 ounces light corn syrup

(this is rather similar to Tepee's recipe that she posted... the glucose + liquid sugar in hers would be approximately equivalent to the water content in the corn syrup in mine.)

I've noticed in humid weather I do need to add about an extra 50 g of white chocolate, or it's just too soft to work with.

For rolling it out, use powdered sugar for white or cocoa powder for dark.... you can also knead a little it in if it's just too sticky.

It can be nuked for 5 seconds at a time on HIGH if it's too tough to work with.

Unused portions should be kept tightly wrapped, preferably in a shrink-wrapped bag. It's just like rolled fondant in the sense that it'll crust and eventually harden, so protect unused portions from air. But it is a little tougher to model things with than fondant, and you can't roll it as thin.

To colour, start with white plastic and add paste colours to tint.

Heat chocolate over a double boiler until just melted; approx. 125F.

Remove bowl from double boiler and pour corn syrup in all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Let rest/cool approx. 5 minutes.

Turn out onto a cool surface such as marble and knead a few minutes, just untl blended.

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap in a *package*; let rest in a cool place for at least 1 hour.

Return to slab and roll out, fold 3 times, roll again, etc..... the same as giving puff pastry 4 turns. This develops the plasticity of the chocolate.

And you're done.... play away!

• 3 years later...

I'm going to make this over the weekend. I'd like to know the shelf life. If it's long enough, I'd like to make it in bulk and store it.

How long should I be able to keep it outside the fridge, in the fridge or in the freezer?

Cheers,

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im bumping this because I really would like to know the difference between chocolate plastic/clay made with corn syrup or glucose syrup :)

Ummm.

According to Kerry Beal's "Confectionery 101" 'white corn syrup' is glucose ...

Dunno whether there's a Canadian white vs light thing here, but it sounds very much like the same thing with different labels.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan