• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roister the Oyster

jamiemaw

Last issue of the Art of Eating did a large article on the Oyster farms in Olympia Washington. The olympia oyster was mightily praised - I must admit when I am out - I usually stick to the kunomotos. Is the oly oyster fairly common in Vancouver? And was we are in May now - should I be waiting for colder months again before I eat oysters?

I have never eaten a good cooked oyster anywhere with the exception of Rodney's in Toronto and Vancouver and Oyster Boy in Toronto.

I will generally not eat any cooked oysters anywhere else as they are always disappointing and overcooked.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Last week the always reliable Go Fish was serving what they called BBQ'd Oyster Tacos. There's no "r" in May but I threw caution to the wind. Lightly BBQ'd, well accompanied. Mmmm good..

Last issue of the Art of Eating did a large article on the Oyster farms in Olympia Washington.  The olympia oyster was mightily praised - I must admit when I am out - I usually stick to the kunomotos.  Is the oly oyster fairly common in Vancouver?  And was we are in May now - should I be waiting for colder months again before I eat oysters?

No, the Olympia (Ostrea lurida) is not common at all in Vancouver. I can only get a limited supply every year as it is a very popular oyster south of the border in Washington State. And rightfully so.

The Olympia oyster, for it's size, packs a whallop in the taste department.

It has a surprisingly crunchy texture with a slight metallic edge and a finish like Portabello mushroom.

If you get the chance to try this oyster, Canucklehead, definitely do so.

Due to modern refrigeration and deep water growing techniques you can enjoy oysters all year round. The only real exception is the European Flat or Plate oyster (also known as the Belon) which is only good till May.

This is the oyster the whole "month with an R in it" saying was written about in the first place.

The Euro Flat (Ostrea edulis) has the unique ability to change sex up to 4 times in a regular breeding season and unfortunately this talent does not lend anything to the taste and texture of this oyster during this period. (May-late September)

I would be going after some Malpeques right now as they just started shipping the freshly fished ones last week.

The East Coast varieties are very good during the summer months as well as certain cold water conditioned West Coast varieties.

Don't wait for the cold weather, Canucklehead.

Enjoy an oyster today.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 5 months later...

I was in SF this weekend and wanted to share with you guys my favorite place in the world for oysters. Swan Oyster Depot

I got off the plane feeling groggy and tired but the first thing to do was to hit Swan Oyster Depot. Very popular with the tourists but who cares. The place is good old fashiond seafood bar and does not pretend to be anything else. It is totally what the Only should be - instead of the piss stinking, rat infested frozen fish fry up that it has turned into.

The gates of paradise:

gallery_25348_1380_1406.jpggallery_25348_1380_4155.jpg

Usually their is a long line up to get in - trick is get there before noon - or do like I do and get closer to closing time (I arrived at about 4pm). The lobsters in the window are local pacific spiny lobsters and the roe is fresh salmon caviar.

Old school! Place was opened in 1912 - and the marble counter looks like it has been around for decades. This is the real deal. I've been to Rodney's only once and the waitstaff's Tom Cruise fratboy antics and super loud music have kept me far far away.

gallery_25348_1380_13986.jpggallery_25348_1380_3708.jpg

First couple of courses - Clam chowda and a mixed seafood salad with crab, prawns, and shrimp with a Louie Sauce (basically a house made thousand islands style dressing). I really like the chowder - I think they use milk instead of cream (you can see that soup has 'broken') - but the taste of fresh clams was ringingly sweet and clear. The salad is fantastic - chopped iceberg lettuce topped with house made dressing and fresh sweet cold seafood - fucking look at the crab! I can't tell you how good this salad is - it's what all those chopped retro-salads aspire to be.

gallery_25348_1380_2994.jpggallery_25348_1380_10249.jpg

Here is the main event - I had 1/2 doz Miyaga oysters (3 from Washington State, 3 locally sourced) - beautifully shucked (each half shell was swimming in oyster liquour). Sweet briny metallic flavors served perfectly cold - I favored the house mignonette (cocktail sauce is the ketchup of oyster eating if you ask me).

gallery_25348_1380_4567.jpggallery_25348_1380_6647.jpg

gallery_25348_1380_4351.jpggallery_25348_1380_14112.jpg

Ahhhh - all gone! All this food for about US$35 - an incredible deal. Oh how I wish that someone would rescue the Only and return it to the glory that it deserves. Swan Oyster is in an edgy part of town - but it holds true to its purpose. Selling lotsa fresh oysters and seafood.

Outstanding. Went to a similar old school hole in the wall in Orlando and got a bucket (3 doz approx.) and a staff member shucking in front of me for about 20 minutes on and off for $13.95. Looking at your photos makes we want to drive to Buffalo and fly down this weekend. Nothing like the old school places that are few and far between these days.

officially left egullet....

• 3 months later...
http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php/20070202183450789

Is this good or bad news? I'm sad to see a local company sold to a us one.

While I also hate the idea of an American company owning a Canadian and local company, this merger is actually not altogether a bad thing either.

Bill Taylor, head of Taylor Shellfish, is like the Bill Gates of the oyster world.

In that he owns a huge amount of shellfish operations on this coast.

In the last 2 years he has purchased 11 other farms in BC alone, both oyster and mussel farms. He has had to start a Canadian division just to handle them.

He runs a good clean operation and is partly responsible for making sure that the Kumomoto oyster is still around.

He is very heavily involved in keeping the waters of Puget Sound clean as well as everywhere else he has his farms and he always expands whatever operation he takes over, increasing the number of jobs and keeping the locals employed.

And personally speaking, I would rather see a farm like Fanny Bay owned by Bill than to see it disappear entirely and go out of business permanently.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Hey Oyster Guy,

A while back in this thread you mentioned Kegan Bay oysters from South Moresby Island. Do you know if you can get them in Vancouver? Preferably from a fish store because i like to bring them home and shuck them myself most of the time!

Thank you!

M

Hey Oyster Guy,

A while back in this thread you mentioned Kegan Bay oysters from South Moresby Island.  Do you know if you can get them in Vancouver?  Preferably from a fish store because i like to bring them home and shuck them myself most of the time!

Thank you!

M

Unfortunately, as with a lot of oysters I get, they are not readily available to the general public.

I buy mine direct from the farm and it is quite a pain to get them shipped from such a remote location.

Sorry about that but you might try asking your local fishmonger about them.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Hey Oyster Guy again.....

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, but you just seem to know so much about oysters!

we are having an oyster party and are trying to choose a few varieties to serve.

we like smallish size oysters and have the following to choose from, just wondering which you would recommend (we will probably get three or four different varieties)

kegan bay chef creek

beach belon

crystal bay yaquina bay

gold mantle effingham

gorge inlet

hopefully this isn't too much trouble for you?

thanks!

Megan

Hey Oyster Guy again.....

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, but you just seem to know so much about oysters!

we are having an oyster party and are trying to choose a few varieties to serve.

we like smallish size oysters and have the following to choose from, just wondering which you would recommend (we will probably get three or four different varieties)

kegan bay            chef creek

beach                  belon

crystal bay          yaquina bay

gold mantle          effingham

gorge inlet       

hopefully this isn't too much trouble for you?

thanks!

Megan

Hi Megan,

No, I don't mind the questions. It's part of the job really.

And I am always happy to help a lady out.

Now to answer your question......

Out of all the varieties you have listed (and by the way, good choices)

I would pick the following.....

The Gorge Inlet, grown by David Nikleva of the Below Sea Level Oyster Company and winner of a gold medal at the BC Oyster and Wine Festival this year.

The Effingham Inlet, a gorgeous plump little deep cultured gem from Effingham Inlet on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

The Yaquina from Oregon, A lantern net raised little gem from pristine waters is always a good choice.

Sorry for the late reply but I have been getting my ass handed to me on a nightly basis because of our insane oyster special. Oh and yeah the snow too..... :raz:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

I'll be up in Whistler in a few weekends.  What's the oyster :wub: special?

9.95 for a dozen freshly shucked locally grown BC oysters.

Beat that, Rodneys or Forte's!

Available at the Bearfoot Bistro between 3-6 p.m.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

We're so there! Save a couple of stools at the bar for us! :wink:

Quentina

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

$9.95? Are you crazy? No way we could beat that. Nor could we ever beat the cost of your wine or champagne :wink:

Derek

$9.95? Are you crazy?

Eleanor Clark