• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roister the Oyster

jamiemaw

Thank you everyone for your kind words :wub:

I am touched.

I just wanted to share one of my oyster experiences with the group and I am pleased it was so well recieved.

Thanks!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Count me in as an OG groupie-I always enjoy your passionate, literate posts. I agree with Canucklehead that your photos and text above are top notch. As someone who gets sick as the proverbial dog in boats, I'm happy to be an armchair traveller on your virtual voyage. I have eaten oysters off the beach in Storm Bay, and your photos brought back happy memories.

That shack is a heritage site! I love it.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Thank you Oyster Guy for the tutorial - I didn't understand so much of the process until now! What a wonderful, sustainable industry. Are there any environmental downsides to oyster harvesting, and what are the environmental challenges you face in these waters?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Thank you Oyster Guy for the tutorial - I didn't understand so much of the process until now!  What a wonderful, sustainable industry.  Are there any environmental downsides to oyster harvesting, and what are the environmental challenges you face in these waters?

The only downside they encountered was the waste product that all living creatures produce as a part of the digestion of the food they eat.

But, recently a good number of oyster farmers have been suspending trays under their oyster rafts and raising sea cucumber on them.

The sea cucumber seem to thrive quite nicely on what the oysters send their way and provide another cash crop for the farmer :wink:

This was thought up at the Pacific Research Station in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Thank you to all the researchers and marine biologists working there.

British Columbia is leading the way in oyster and other shellfish aquaculture.

There are various problems that oyster growers run into, overflowing septic tanks from vacation properties, boat owners who dump their toilets into the bays they anchor in overnight are the preventable ones I can think of.

Road construction by estuaries and pulp and paper mills aren't good either.

But the awareness is growing and people are trying to consider the lowly oyster.

Shellfish aquaculture is the only sustainable aquaculture there is at this present time.

They not only clean the water they are in but also provide food and shelter for other marine life.

In essence, when you have an oyster raft, you are creating an artificial reef.

And it's a lot cleaner than sinking some old nasty battleship or plane :laugh:

Glad it helped Laura

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

I'm glad to hear I can eat all the oysters I want with clear conscience! BTW - you mentioned upthread that my favourite Kusshi oysters may not be readily available for much longer - why?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I spoke with Brent the Oysterman the other day. Oyster farming is becoming less prevalent in British Columbia because of the fact that farmers are not able to make a descent living at the trade. Many oyster farms are being replaced by honey mussels, or just being phased out as farmers take up another form of employment.

In Vancouver, suprisingly enough, prices are too low and the various oyster sellers are not willing to pay a little extra for oysters. Vancouver is not doing it's part in terms of oyster consumption either! Shame on us!

Many of our BC oysters go off to Calgary and Toronto where, suprisingly enough, consumers will pay a fair market price.

Brent compared the problem to fair trade coffee. If we were able to pay 10 cents more per oyster, oyster farming in BC will survive. If not we will see a huge decline in BC oysters and availablity.

I, for one, will gladly pay more (oysters are usually around 70 cents to $1) to keep my favourite bivalve readily on hand.

So - get out there, get slurping and demand that your local supplier bring in more BC product.

Gastronomista

I spoke with Brent the Oysterman the other day.  Oyster farming is becoming less prevalent in British Columbia because of the fact that farmers are not able to make a descent living at the trade.  Many oyster farms are being replaced by honey mussels, or just being phased out as farmers take up another form of employment.

In Vancouver, suprisingly enough, prices are too low and the various oyster sellers are not willing to pay a little extra for oysters.  Vancouver is not doing it's part in terms of oyster consumption either!  Shame on us!

Many of our BC oysters go off to Calgary and Toronto where, suprisingly enough, consumers will pay a fair market price.

Brent compared the problem to fair trade coffee.  If we were able to pay 10 cents more per oyster, oyster farming in BC will survive.  If not we will see a huge decline in BC oysters and availablity.

I, for one, will gladly pay more (oysters are usually around 70 cents to $1) to keep my favourite bivalve readily on hand.

So - get out there, get slurping and demand that your local supplier bring in more BC product.

Thank you! :biggrin:

I also support an increase of the dockside price of oysters to cover not only the increased fuel prices that we all suffer from but the simple fact that guys like Brent and others are putting their ass on the line to fish and farm them.

I am petitioning as well as other oyster shuckers across this fair land, to get the farmers their request of a mere 10 cents an oyster more.

Right now, fish distributors in this province (who shall remain nameless) pay the oyster fishermen as low as 18 cents an oyster.

3 years or more of back breaking work for 18 cents?

I'd like to see a 25 cent increase personally but I want it to happen.

I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread how I thought it was a shame that a city with Vancouver's proximity and product availability was home to only 2 hardworking oyster houses. (Joe's and Rodney's) :shock:

I am glad you talked to Brent. He is a true oyster revolutionary!

He is also a wealth of information, if you can get a word in edgewise :laugh:

Laura, the reason the Kusshi is an expensive oyster to produce.

Not only for the reasons above but also the fact that to get that plump little oyster to look the way it does involves a technique called "tumbling."

They put the oysters in a tumbler (basically a cement mixer) and tumble the oysters in order to limit the length and increase the depth of the oyster by constantly chipping the external growth of the oyster away.

The Pacific or Japanese oyster (Crassostrea gigas) will naturally grow longer and with a shallower cup. The Kusshi is a member of this species.

But, tumbling causes the oysters to smash together and the thinner shelled oysters frankly don't stand a chance.

They can lose up to 40% of their crop by using this method sometimes and that is why you usually have to pay more.

It is more labour-intensive to grow and the yield is less.

I, for one hope that they continue to grow the Kusshi but we will see.

I am trying, in my own small way, to try to educate the public to what is happening to a lot of oyster growers on the Coast and making people aware.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

Eleanor Clark

OG - is the reason they tumble certain species like the Kusshi just for perceived aesthetics, the mouthfeel of a deeper, plumper oyster, or would it actually affect its taste in any way?

Are there other ways of curbing these oysters in growing in length or inducing more growth in depth other than tumbling? And I am unclear - do they tumble one species together at a time, or mix up various species when tumbling?

Thanks!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Thanks for the very visual tutorial and the welcome, OG! (Although that makes me think of hippity hop and not bivalves for some reason.)

I had no idea there was such disparity between what oyster farmers are paid and what we as consumers are paying for them. Is this a case of prices being regulated externally, or competition between different farmers resulting in harm for all? (as in the case of truckers and construction contractors back in the 90s)

I personally believe Vancouver consumers are becoming more educated and cosmopolitan about food and dining out all the time, but are oysters the one point where I'm mistaken? Are we bargain basementing ourselves out of locally grown treats?

I wonder if competition plays a part in this as well... when I think of places that serve oysters in Vancouver, Rodney's, Joe Fortes, and Blue Water are the only three that spring readily to mind. If more places served them, I think that people would become more accustomed to ordering them, and less inclined to regard them as a luxury food. Wouldn't that also then benefit farmers, by increasing the volume of product they're selling?

Could any restaurateurs here address part of my (growing embarrassingly long) list of questions? Why do you, or don't you serve oysters?

Also, in my previous post, I forgot to give mad props to the Whistling Oyster in Toronto. Yummy!

OG - is the reason they tumble certain species like the Kusshi just for perceived aesthetics, the mouthfeel of a deeper, plumper oyster, or would it actually affect its taste in any way?

Are there other ways of curbing these oysters in growing in length or inducing more growth in depth other than tumbling?  And I am unclear - do they tumble one species together at a time, or mix up various species when tumbling?

Thanks!

They do it for a deeper, plumper oyster. The water it is grown in actually affects the taste and the Kusshi are grown in the Gorge Harbour near Brent's rafts.

It's in the pictures.

The main oyster species grown out here (in fact in the world) is Crassostrea gigas.

There are some of the native oysters, Ostrea lurida, the Olympia oyster left and they are growing some European Flats up in Powell River.

There are other ways of achieving the same round shape and depth of the Kusshi.

Cylindrical nets in the intertidal zone.

Place the oysters inside. Tide comes in, oyster lift up.

Tide goes out over 6 hours, wave and tidal action tumbles the oysters slowly but with much less product loss.

They never mix species in a tumbler.

Oysters, like snowflakes, are never alike.

Some will grow thicker shells faster than others. And using mechanical means is always anything but gentle and subtle.

This is a living creature after all. It would be the equivilent of getting in the clothes dryer and going around for a few spins.

Not a lot of fun :sad:

And you're welcome :smile:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S. Some of the kids I've worked with have called me "The Original Gangsta." :laugh:

Eleanor Clark

They do it for a deeper, plumper oyster. The water it is grown in actually affects the taste and the Kusshi are grown in the Gorge Harbour near Brent's rafts.

It's in the pictures.

The main oyster species grown out here (in fact in the world) is Crassostrea gigas.

There are some of the native oysters, Ostrea lurida, the Olympia oyster left and they are growing some European Flats up in Powell River.

Tide goes out over 6 hours, wave and tidal action tumbles the oysters slowly but with much less product loss.They never mix species in a tumbler.

Some will grow thicker shells faster than others. And using mechanical means is always anything but gentle and subtle.

This is a living creature after all. It would be the equivilent of getting in the clothes dryer and going around for a few spins.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S.  Some of the kids I've worked with have called me "The Original Gangsta." :laugh:

Original Gangsta:

Is it that the process takes so much longer with this way of encouraging the deeper cup growth that prevents it from being used widely? If there is so much less product loss, wouldn't the net (sorry!) gains be the same as tumbing and losing 40% product? Is it still an unsustainable financial loss then to produce Kusshis et. al. this way?

And Claudiak, I think that oysters are available at many establishments even those that are not billed as 'seafood' places, of which there are many in this city. Perhaps the reason we are unwilling to pay fair market price for oysters in particular is that we are in general spoiled by the price point vs. quality we have experienced for years in Vancouver vs. other cities. It is a point of pride for our city, but perhaps we are eating ourselves alive??

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

It's in the pictures.

Tide goes out over 6 hours, wave and tidal action tumbles the oysters slowly but with much less product loss.They never mix species in a tumbler.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S.  Some of the kids I've worked with have called me "The Original Gangsta." :laugh:

Original Gangsta:

Is it that the process takes so much longer with this way of encouraging the deeper cup growth that prevents it from being used widely? If there is so much less product loss, wouldn't the net (sorry!) gains be the same as tumbing and losing 40% product? Is it still an unsustainable financial loss then to produce Kusshis et. al. this way?

And Claudiak, I think that oysters are available at many establishments even those that are not billed as 'seafood' places, of which there are many in this city. Perhaps the reason we are unwilling to pay fair market price for oysters in particular is that we are in general spoiled by the price point vs. quality we have experienced for years in Vancouver vs. other cities. It is a point of pride for our city, but perhaps we are eating ourselves alive??

That's it in a nutshell. It takes too long using the net method when demand for the oyster is so high.

So you are forced to use mechanical means in order to meet market demand.

They all need the price increase not just small boutique farmers like Brent.

But the bigger aquaculturing operations as well. Fanny Bay went out of business last year and they were huge.

Keep on shucking (and eating BC oysters)

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

takes too long using the net method when demand for the oyster is so high.

So you are forced to use mechanical means in order to meet market demand.

They all need the price increase not just small boutique farmers like Brent.

But the bigger aquaculturing operations as well. Fanny Bay went out of business last year and they were huge.Keep on shucking (and eating BC oysters)

Oyster Guy

I didn't know that - what were the particular reasons why Fanny Bay went out of business? And on my orginal comment - why are we Vancouverites not willing to pay a higher price-point for our own shore-raised oysters? Is it because we are too spoiled by the overall price point of our dining options here? Jamie, maybe you have some insight here?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I can't tell you why they went out of business but the lack of a domestic market does have a lot to do with the present problems in the industry.

Let's just hope that people become a little more aware of what we have and more importantly, what we have to lose.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Oyster mania! Last night Rick Mercer was oyster fishing off the coast of PEI on his show on CBC. He was in fine form, cracking jokes about oysters having a sex change in mid life (covered by health care, of course) and that when Harper finds out about this he'll put a moratorium on oystering. He also had the North American oyster shucking champ showing off his skills. Tonight on CBC Radio One the show "Ideas" at 9 p.m. is all about the oyster.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Oyster mania! Last night Rick Mercer was oyster fishing off the coast of PEI on his show on CBC. He was in fine form, cracking jokes about oysters having a sex change in mid life (covered by health care, of course) and that when Harper finds out about this he'll put a moratorium on oystering.  He also had the North American oyster shucking champ showing off his skills. Tonight on CBC Radio One the show "Ideas" at 9 p.m. is all about the oyster.

That was my buddy John Bil who is also the 3 time Canadian Oyster shucking champion and one of my co-shuckers way back in the day.

Check out his website www.keeponshucking.com

Johnny Flynn is an oyster grower who grows the incredible Colville Bay oyster in PEI.

I emailed him after watching the show telling him to work on his razor opening! :laugh:

I highly endorse the CBC Radio One show. Both my buddy Adam and Brent appear on it and it is very well done and researched.

I hope you listen to it, Zuke.

Great show.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S. Zuke, my friend and I will be on Bob Blummer's new show coming out this year.

It is called "Glutton for Punishment." He starts this show with plenty of punishment!

He sets out to become a champion oyster shucker in just 1 week!

Yeah, good luck on that, pal! :laugh:

John and I got to harass him while he shucked oysters at Joe Forte's oyster bar where he learned the trade under the educated knife of "Oyster Bob" Skinner.

He at one point reminded us that it was his show not ours!

Hey, if you can't take the heat...........

Eleanor Clark

I heard that program on CBC- I was entertained by it and laughed hard about the sex thing about oysters- the history of oysters as our food source- it is one of my favs.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I've had but precious few experiences with oysters: one raw on the half shell during a tasting menu, a few appetizers of "fully disguised" oysters (meaning Rockefeller, etc), and then just last night a salad topped with cornmeal-crusted pan-fried oysters.

They had nice crunch from the coating, but many of them had a slightly bitter edge to the taste. Is this normal when an oyster is cooked? Did I have "not so fresh" specimens?

Do tell.... thanks!

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I've had but precious few experiences with oysters:  one raw on the half shell during a tasting menu, a few appetizers of "fully disguised" oysters (meaning Rockefeller, etc), and then just last night a salad topped with cornmeal-crusted pan-fried oysters.

They had nice crunch from the coating, but many of them had a slightly bitter edge to the taste.  Is this normal when an oyster is cooked?  Did I have "not so fresh" specimens?

Do tell....  thanks!

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

No, what you had is very common.

It was a totally overcooked oyster.

Most chefs ( and I mean no disrespect) have very little experience with oysters, especially cooking them.

They always tend to deep fry them but for way longer than they should.

You just want to see the gills start to curl up (about 30 seconds in a deep fryer) and that's it, they're done.

Oysters Rockefeller has always been a way of moving second rate oysters out of the walk-in.

If they were any good, they would have been served raw.

I have never eaten a good cooked oyster anywhere with the exception of Rodney's in Toronto and Vancouver and Oyster Boy in Toronto.

I will generally not eat any cooked oysters anywhere else as they are always disappointing and overcooked.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Best recommendations on buying oysters (retail) in this city? here's a photo taken at the City Super food market in the IFC building in Hong Kong and just around the corner from this display was a nice wine shop with loads of amazing Sake and French Champagne :rolleyes: There were over a dozen types of oysters available from around the world. I have not seen this many for sale in Vancouver. Any secrets?

Cheers,

Stephen

gallery_19417_1648_1865518.jpg CitySuper IFC Centre Hong Kong

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Best recommendations on buying oysters (retail) in this city?

Lobster Man on GI has the best oyster selection in the city I have seen. I can't comment on the quality as there is a serious bi-valve alergy in my household ... but Lobster Man always seems to have many many tubs of them.

A.

Albion Fisheries has an off sales desk that is open 7 days a week ~ cash only. I do not think you can break pack size...but a great selection of oysters and fish at almost wholesale pricing.

oysters listed today:

1-5301-145 OYSTER N/SHELL BEACH SM 1 DZ DZ 1/1 DZ Fresh

1-5301-148 OYSTER N/SHELL BEACH XSM 1 DZ DZ 1/1 DZ Fresh

1-5301-150 OYSTER N/SHELL BEACH XSM BC DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5301-160 OYSTER N/SHELL BEACH JUMBO DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5306-110 OYSTER N/SHELL OLYMPIA USA DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5307-110 OYSTER N/SHELL HAMA HAMA USA DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5308-110 OYSTER N/SHELL KUMAMOTO USA DZ 1/25 DZ Fresh

1-5309-105 OYSTER N/SHELL MALPEQUE 1 DZ DZ 1/1 DZ Fresh

1-5309-107 OYSTER N/SHELL MALPEQUE LG DZ 1/5.83 DZ Fresh

1-5309-110 OYSTER N/SHELL MALPEQUE PEI DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5309-111 OYSTER N/SHELL CARAQUETS DZ 1/8.33 DZ Fresh

1-5309-114 OYSTER N/SHELL BEAU SOLEIL DZ 1/8.33 DZ Fresh

1-5309-115 OYSTER N/SHELL MALPEQUE WC DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5309-120 OYSTER N/SHELL STANLEY BRIDGE DZ 1/11.67 DZ Fresh

1-5310-105 OYSTER N/SHELL CRYSTAL BAY XS DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-106 OYSTER N/SHELL CRYSTAL BAY SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-107 OYSTER N/SHELL CRYSTAL BAY ME DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-115 OYSTER N/SHELL GOLD MANTLE 1'S DZ 1/1 DZ Fresh

1-5310-120 OYSTER N/SHELL GOLD MANTLE S DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-130 OYSTER N/SHELL GORGE INLET XS DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-132 OYSTER N/SHELL GORGE INLET SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5310-140 OYSTER N/SHELL SUMMER ICE SM DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5313-110 OYSTER N/SHELL CHEF CREEK SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5313-120 OYSTER N/SHELL CHEF CREEK XSM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5314-110 OYSTER N/SHELL ROYAL MIYAGI DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5315-110 OYSTER N/SHELL BELON BC DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5316-110 OYSTER N/SHELL SKOOKUM XSM U DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5319-120 OYSTER N/SHELL YAQUINA BAY SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5321-103 OYSTER N/SHELL SINKU XSM DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5322-110 OYSTER N/SHELL OKEOVER ARM X DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5322-150 OYSTER N/SHELL PENROSE BAY XS DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5322-160 OYSTER N/SHELL PENROSE BAY S DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5323-010 OYSTER N/SHELL PEARL BAY XSM DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5323-020 OYSTER N/SHELL PEARL BAY SM DZ 1/10 DZ Fresh

1-5323-050 OYSTER N/SHELL BEACH MED OW CS 3 DZ/CS Fresh

1-5326-110 OYSTER N/SHELL KUSSHI DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5328-110 OYSTER N/SHELL ST BAY GOLD XS DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5328-120 OYSTER N/SHELL ST BAY GOLD SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5328-150 OYSTER N/SHELL EFFINGHAM XSM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5328-160 OYSTER N/SHELL EFFINGHAM SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

1-5329-120 OYSTER N/SHELL PAC ROYAL SM DZ 1/5 DZ Fresh

Edited by Chef Fowke (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Here are a few tips when buying oysters from anyone.

1. I would stay away from buying the ones from the States.

The main reason is that due to the ongoing softwood lumber dispute, the Canadian Government decided in all it's wisdom to retaliate against the Americans by slapping a 15% duty on all US oysters.

So they are higher priced (they were free of duty before under the NAFTA Agreement) and really not that good a deal right now.

A note to Chef Fowke. You can only buy the Olympia oyster from Albion in 20 dozen lots.

They will not sell you anything less than that and it being a thinner shelled oyster, doesn't have as long a shelf life as others.

2. Pick a fishmonger who is busy. The busier the place, the more turnover in stock and the fresher the product.

3. Pick up the oyster. It should feel solid and heavy in proportion to it's size.

If it feels somewhat light, discard it and choose another.

4. Smell the oyster. You can usually pick up the unmistakable smell of a bad oyster even if the shell is closed tightly.

Oysters contain sulpher and when they go off will usually smell like rotten eggs or sewer gas.

5. When buying what a lot of people are mistakenly calling Belon oysters, some of the shells naturally gape open. This doesn't mean the oyster is bad and if you tap it, the shell should quickly snap shut. If it doesn't, don't buy it.

(Belons come only from the Brittany coast of France. If they are grown somewhere else, they are called European Flats or Plate oysters.

Sort of like Champagne and sparkling wine)

Store the oysters properly when you get home.

They should all be put "cup" down (The rounded bottom of the oyster) and covered with a damp cloth and stored at an ideal temperature of between 1 and 4 degrees Celsius.

With Euro Flats and Belons, you have to weight them down to prevent them from opening their shells and losing precious oyster liquor from evapouration.

Hope this helps

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark