• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst meal eaten in the UK so far

Without the first thought of a seconds hesitation beginning to think about imagining crossing my mind, my worst meal in the UK was

GORDON RAMSAY @ CLARIDGES

Shoddy Service

Crappy Room

Ordinary Food

Extarordinary Prices

I would rather pour acid over my testes than go through that experience again

S

I would recommend citric or possibly acetic, rather than the more feisty sulphuric or nitric versions.

Not that I have done extensive research regarding acid/gonad combinations of course...

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Ah, the connoisseur's choice...

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Hmm. For the true experience Hydrofluoric is your man.

It is whatever the correct term for hydrophilic is, and so 'burrows' away from the initial site looking for tasty water of which your body has plenty.

I instance this as I heard of a case where someone had actually self-medicated with this, and yes on the genitalia.

Wilma squawks no more

I'll get this thread back on track :wink:

For me it's Locanda Locatelli. Perhaps worst is the wrong description, more disappointing. Food was quite good but small for me, and the tempo of the meal was startling fast.

However (sorry for going outside UK again), most disappointing meal by far was Astrance in Paris - Just didn't live up to the hype for me.

If we can go outside the UK, then my worst meal would definitely be La Regalade.

So many people whose opinion I respect had said it was great and it just wasn't the night we were there.

Scott, if you think Locatelli was fast try being in and out of a three course meal in just over 45 minutes. I don't move THAT fast if immigration is after me.

The food was very ordinary and in the case of a special of crevettes, actively nasty.

I see that some people had a decent meal there recently, so perhaps it was an off night.

raises another question, can a restaurant be allowed to have an "off night" on a Saturday..?

Unquestionably a series of dinners and lunches at a hotel in Liverpool. Gristly meat, vegetables that had been cooked to death, glue for gravy, sandwiches with the bread curling at the edges with unidentifiable paste inside.

A colleague staying in the same hotel was bitten some mysterious bug; the bite became infected and swelled up to the size of a tennis ball.

I don't remember the name of the place and would guess it has been closed for awhile. I trust that this degree of anonymity avoids libel exposure for eGullet...

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Empire -- The subject of a prior thread. I'm surprised the facility has not closed for want of business by now.  :hmmm:

Although it has renamed itself. Now called Myna Bird. Menu still the same, apparently, and so presumably is everything else. Now it has an awful name to fit ... I walked past the other day and there was a waiter pimping outside, which is presumably a sign of sorts.

I can recall several meals which arguably rose to the level of attempted murder: at the Southampton Hilton, at the Hawthorns Hotel in Bristol, and at Hujo's in Soho (which is now the estimable Le Pigalle). Oh, and the Gay Hussar tried to assassinate me once too. :angry:

GORDON RAMSAY @ CLARIDGES

S

Imagine, even before I read all the posts, I had Berkeley in mind. With Claridges, I'd say it is something about Savoy that I cannot put my finger on ....

anil

John Burton Race (October last year). Expensive and quite inedible. I actually wrote & asked for a refund. He refused but invited me back as his guest. The second time was actually worse (detailed elsewhere on the board).

Is Lindsay House the one in Dulwich or environs, which is owned by a guy who lives upstairs? If so, I ate well there for my birthday in 2001. It was nothing over the top spectacular, but it was far, far from my worst meal of the year. Might have been partly the setting and the weather (both memorable, as only a nice day in England can be memorable!) Service was nothing special but nothing bad, either.

Everybody´s worst meal of the year seems to be from a high end or name restaurant. Seems weird that nobody´s worst meal is from a local crappy joint or doner kebab house where you got trichinosis or food poisoning. I suspect those meals get deleted from the mind, whereas as someone else mentioned, upscale or celebrity places disappoint because you expect so much more,