• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monterey?

skoolpsyk

Amirʼs House of Kabobs (794 Lighthouse Ave) is a great Afghan restaurant we went to in December. The food was wonderful, the service was very friendly and the price was a bargain. It is only a few blocks away from Cannery Row but it's definitely not a tourist trap. I would definitely eat there again the next time I'm in Monterey.

We had a nice lunch at Abolenetti on Fisherman's Wharf a few months back. It's situated near the touristy spots, but I thought the food & prices were both quite good. If you'd like an upscale meal, Fresh Cream has been around for nearly 20 years, and continues to do well. Also, Sardine Factory and Whaling Station (another John Pisto establishment) have both been around since the '70's and are quite consistent.

None of this is true **** dining (closest being Fresh Cream). If you'd like a rec for that and can venture south of Monterey into Carmel and Carmel Valley, I can make some other recs.

Enjoy!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

As a local - I would recommend the Sea Harvest Market and Restaurant in Monterey(on Foam or Wave Street)- not very fancy, but this is the place locals like to stop in for something fresh - either to eat there or take home to cook. While the Sardine Factory is good, it is quite high-priced (but they have a great wine list). I try to stay away from John Pisto's restaurants - just because I think they are to formula-oriented and don't have the same level of creative cooking that I crave. I also like Passion Fish out in Pacific Grove and the Monterey Fish House in Monterey on Del Monte. While I would never recommend Gump's - a lot of the places out on the warf do have good food at reasonable prices. Try the Sand Bar on Old Fisherman's Warf - or even make the short trek to Carmel and try Flaherty's. (Just don't have their chowders - never served really hot, just warm.)

Sara (of the otters)

Where to locals eat?  We would like to avoid the tourist traps...(no we won't be dining at Bubba Gump)

Is there anywhere to get inexpensive raw oysters?

As a former local (I lived in the area for 12 years) and still a regular visitor, the following are my current favorite places in Monterey and Pacific Grove. I should add that I am a Professor at a community college, so budget is always at least a partial consideration:

Passionfish - not super fancy, but imaginative preparations of sustainable seafoods and a wonderful, reasonably priced wine list. Great value. Make a reservation.

Taste Bistro - interesting food, good prices, varied menu, not touristy at all.

Red House - usually packed; much like Taste, but located in an old red house in downtown PG.

A bit fancier is Robert's White House, the latest restaurant by Robert Kincaid who founded Fresh Cream and was its chef in its glory days. Very nice atmosphere in an old Victorian in PG.

Massaro & Santos - the food here is not great, but is typical old style Monterey cuisine. This is my favoriste "view" restaurant, located on the coast guard pier between Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. But since it is between these two spots, it is primarily a locals place. And the clam chowder is the best anywhere. And I have eaten chowders all over the West Coast.

For a good, but not gourmet, southern European style meal, I really enjoyed a dinner last visit at Norma Jean's, a small place located on Fremont in North Monterey. Again, definitely not a tourist spot.

For truly fine dining, all my friends say that Bouchee in Carmel is now one of the area's best venues for a truly gourmet meal. It is on my list for my next visit.

Sea Harvest - Simple fresh fish preps at good prices.

Good eating!

ed

One point . . . was his ability to recollect the good dinners which it had made no small portion of the happiness of his life to eat.

--Nathaniel Hawthorne "The Custom House"

I've heard good things about Passionfish as well.

If you have a chance to go to Carmel as well, there are a few good threads on here with recommendations.

Thanks, SJ Shappee and Ed Davis, for your 'local' recs and welcome to egullet too!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The White House in PG is very nice. We just returned from a four day visit to the area last month. Bouchee is very good, but if you would like some outstanding views with excellent gourmet food, go to Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn. Very elegant, first-class place.

We celebrated our anniversary at the Sardine Factory. The abalone bisque was very good as were the grilled sand dabs. They offer a fixed price deal here for about $30/pp. Casanova in Carmel is also very quaint with excellent food and wine. The Georis wines are served here, they make a really great Sauv Blanc that I never miss while dining here.

We also enjoy Wickets, the casual restaurant at the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. Marinus if their formal place that we would like to try sometime also. Cheers! :)

• 4 weeks later...

i cooked professionaly in carmel for a few years some of the local chefs favorite spots are:

pho king in seaside for pho ect.

gutierrez in salinas for the best mx food on the peninsula

peppers in pacific grove for california mexican food

phils fish market in moss landing, not really a tourist spot

bouchee is great for more expensive food

stay away from pistos restaurants, all of the pepple beach restaurants, as well as spanish bay

taste used to be great, but i havent been in years, i hear its slipped a bit

wickets bistro at brenardus lodge is a great lower price option to marinus

passion fish is decent, kinda fun /relaxed

cal market/ pacific edge are prettty good $$$

dont even consider wasting money at fresh cream, go to marinus at bernardus lodge if you feel like spending money,

stay away from pistos restaurants, all of the pepple beach restaurants, as well as spanish bay

It really bothers me when someone discounts an entire group of restaurants without even a "fare thee well".

John Pisto is a self-promoting, overbearing boor, per his TV personna (he may be a very nice person in real life...I don't know), but I DID have a VERY NICE, REASONABLE lunch at Abolenetti's on the wharf. I think it's a real shame to bad-mouth an entire group of restaurants with no back-up, other than you were a cook somewhere in Carmel.

BTW...I hope your cooking is better than your spelling!

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

yes i was the pastry chef at marinus for several years , if you eat out often and are truly into food then i should not have to explain why these places are to be avoided, yes my spelling is terrible, lets be a little more petty.

As a former local, I pretty much agreed with your previous post - though I am sure that Sam did have a decent meal at Abolonetti's. I also know folks that have had good meals at Domenico's. But I also know folks who felt ripped off - overcharged and poorly served - at both spots. And one of the worst experiences I've ever had on the peninsula was at Blue Moon which is/was a Pisto restaurant on Cannery Row (yeh, I shudda known better).

One point . . . was his ability to recollect the good dinners which it had made no small portion of the happiness of his life to eat.

--Nathaniel Hawthorne "The Custom House"