• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portuguese Egg-Wraps

gallery_40488_2237_10911.jpg

This one is another typical portuguese dessert. Along with the Custard Tarts this is one of our most well-known pastry items.

It has its origin - along with almost every egg dessert here - in the old monasteries and convents.

Click here for the recipe

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I read the recipe, but I'm still unsure of what to do. Does the egg form a ball with a sugar crust? You say to take two layers and wrap together, does that mean they form sheets? :unsure:

Any chance that next time you make this, you could take step by step photos? They look very interesting and delicious, but I think I need more hand holding on this one.

I read the recipe, but I'm still unsure of what to do. Does the egg form a ball with a sugar crust? You say to take two layers and wrap together, does that mean they form sheets? :unsure:

Any chance that next time you make this, you could take step by step photos? They look very interesting and delicious, but I think I need more hand holding on this one.

You're right Rachel, when you drop a small amount of yolks in the syrup the yolgs start to clot, forming sheets.

I'll do a step by step photo session and I'll post it, but for that I need to have someone else in the kitchen to make the photos :)

Filipe A S

gallery_40488_2237_102367.jpg

I've decided to bake half recipe tonight. And here is the promissed "step by step". My cam's baterry got exhausted so I didn't had a chance to get some pictures while wraping them, but that's easy to do. Hope this to be helpfull.

Filipe A S

Wow, Filipe. I am very excited to try these. I can imagine using them in all kinds of unusual ways.

You bet! Yesterday while I was baking them I had several ideas as well...for example to replace some jelly layers on some truffle cakes for it, or to use them in petit-fours alternating layers of egg wraps with some lemon mousse for example. One of my purposes with sharing this recipe here was exactly to achieve new ways to apply it

Filipe A S

This looks like a very interesting technique. What is the texture like? Are they crisp, soft, light, or chewy? Are they very sweet from being cooked the sugar syrup?

Well Neil, they're very soft and light...and sweet as well (that's why eating them with some citrus fruit or flavour at the side is a very nice combination)

They're almost jelly-like. They seem like plastic layers. But they taste all but plastic :)

Filipe A S