• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Music and the Beastie Boys

Thanks for spending some time with us, Sara.

I'm not sure anyone has pointed this out to you yet, but there's an entire discussion on the eG Forums focusing on the Beastie Boys' apparent infatuation with food, and that you have been mentioned in one of their songs. Click here for the discussion. In that discussion we learned about your husband's connection with the music industry, but we really don't know all that much about why the band (and Ad-Rock in particular) have such an infatuation with food and you!

Could you shed some light on this most important topic? While you're at it, do you have any favorite rhymes from the Beastie Boys? And what type of music do you listen to when you're cooking?

Thanks!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean,

Isn't it nice to know that Ad-Rock started watching food shows on his own -- including mine on the Food Network -- apart from the fact that my husband was the Beasties's publicist during their "Licensed To Ill" days?

I wasn't aware of Ad-Rock's culinary interests until my husband and I attended Cey Adams's 40th birthday party a few years ago. Cey, an old friend of the Beasties, was head of creative services at Def Jam between 1984 and 1995. so naturally the Beasties were on hand. Bill (the husband) pointed out Ad Rock, but I didn't think too much of it except to note that he was rawther good looking. Then before I knew it, he came over to tell me that he watched my show and had a bunch of questions. We talked for nearly an hour as Bill twiddled his thumbs by my side. Afterwards I told Ad-Rock that he could call me anytime.

The next thing I knew he shouted out "Sara's Secrets" in the liner notes to "To the 5 Boroughs," the Beasties 2004 album. He also rapped a funny rhyme about "Baked Alaskan" in a song called "Rhyme the Rhyme Well" -- which inspired me to put a recipe for same in "Sara's Secrets for Weeknight Meals." (See p.328.)

When the Beasties were on tour last year we got great tickets to their show at Madison Square Garden. I have to admit that I had not been to a rock show since college. Short as I am, I can't see much and start to worry about getting trampled. (When I was younger this didn't bother me so much. I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore East when I was sixteen -- and somehow lived to tell about it.) But anyway the Beasties show was incredible. Bill tells me they'll have a new concert film out soon that includes footage shot at MSG. I'm sure it's great.

Sara Moulton

When the Beasties were on tour last year we got great tickets to their show at Madison Square Garden.  I have to admit that I had not been to a rock show since college.  Short as I am, I can't see much and start to worry about getting trampled.  (When I was younger this didn't bother me so much.  I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore East when I was sixteen -- and somehow lived to tell about it.)  But anyway the Beasties show was incredible.  Bill tells me they'll have a new concert film out soon that includes footage shot at MSG.  I'm sure it's great.

Bet your kids thought that was way cool! :cool: (or whatever they say)

From Julia to Jimi .... Sara spans the spectrum of popular culture in the late 20th Century!

SB :wub: