• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian food

sadistick

Just thought I would share a discovery of mine, as I am always on the lookout for good ethnic fare.

Bombah Bhel at Yonge and Eglington east of yonge...went there a couple nights ago with the GF...although the server was a tad forgetfull, he was very pleasant, and the food was fantastic.

I would highly recommend the eggplant curry, it was out of this world...also had the Vindaloo with lamb which was delicious, and the GF had chicken curry, also very good.

The Naan was great (half of the reason i go out for indian) and it was very reasonably priced ($45) with a beer and 3 main courses.

Interesting. Just for my point of reference, what are your other Indian faves, and how spicy do you eat your vindaloo? I've been told the ones at Bombay Bhel are quite bland....thoughts?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Cuisine of India (at yonge and sheppard) is my other go to...

I told em to make it how the chef makes it, they didnt really offer an option, but it was quite hot, and tastey, not bland at all...

And I sent my mom and her friend (who considers herself an indian food guru) and she said that Bombay Bhel was right up there with the best...

You go in and try their Eggplant Curry or their Chickpea Curry and you wont want to go anywhere else, at least...I dont!

I've never been to Brampton but I imagine that's where you'll find the best places. Same as with Chinese or lots of other 'ethnic'* foods where there is a large associated population in the suburbs. I imagine the greater affluence there will support better restaurants. Can anyone confirm?

I don't know where Bombay Bhel is. I've gone grocery shopping and shalwar kameez shopping (ahem, the kameez for a female, not me) along Gerrard in the East End, but aside from having a paan I haven't eaten there in over a decade. My impressions are that the food is fairly straight-ahead.

(*'ethnic' - for lack of a better word - I don't normally like this word)

I don't particularly like Indian Rice Factory, in fact, the meals I've had there have been only so-so, no reason to go back. Cuisine of India is really good, been there when I'm in the area. Siddartha on Gerrard is one I frequent and has always been excellent. KevV, not sure what you mean by the food being "straight ahead"? and you're probably right about Brampton having some good places, but it is a little too out of the way for me most days.

I don't particularly like Indian Rice Factory, in fact, the meals I've had there have been only so-so, no reason to go back.  Cuisine of India is really good, been there when I'm in the area.  Siddartha on Gerrard is one I frequent and has always been excellent.  KevV, not sure what you mean by the food being "straight ahead"? and you're probably right about Brampton having some good places, but it is a little too out of the way for me most days.

One of the worst ones I have been to is the Tandoori house on Yonge, north of Sheppard. Slimy butter chicken and over-cooked naan. Cuisine of india is not bad, but nothing that I would rave about.

I have yet to eat any restaurant east indian food that compares with indian home cooking.

For the record, I prefer west indian roti and rice dishes.

Mark

I'm not sure I'll be helping here as I find Bombay Bhel to be run-of-the-mill. Also find Indian Rice Factory expensive for what you get. Also not overly impressed with Tandoori House - but buffet lunch is cheap and filling.

My regular is Trimurti on Queen st - especially for the cashew paste dishes which are not common elsewhere. And a killer Onion Bhajia too. I also find their breads exceptional (including the stufed ones).

But, given that I don't really enjoy those recommended above, you'll probably not be too interested in the one I do like!

^Au contraire, estufarian. I love Indian Food (especially home cooked when I am lucky enough to get it) and Trimurti sounds like something I will try. Onion Bhajia can be awful at many places, like lead, but when it's good, it's heaven. Look forward to trying something new. My biggest complaint about a lot of the Indian in Toronto is that it is run of the mill and/or greasy. I find there are certain different dishes I order at different places. I used to love the stuffed naan at Royal Kashmir on Yonge, and the channa masala, but it's gone now.

I strongly recommend Ghandi (Queen Street just a few store fronts East of Bathurst) for their roti's. Three or four small tables are crowded in the front of the small shop, cutlery is plastic and the dishes are aluminum foil trays. But the food is available for takeout. You can phone ahead and your order will be ready for you. There are over a dozen rotis available ranging in price from $6 to $12 for the most expensive, a chicken korma, which is boneless with a delicious sauce wrapped of course in roti. One could feed two people.

Half of the rotis are vegetarian, the others are mostly lamb and chicken. I hear the butter chicken is really good, but I haven't tried it. I particularly like the potato and cauliflower. You have a choice of mild, medium, or hot. And hot is HOT. Even the mild has a quite pleasant burn to it. Tropical juices are available, as are some pakoras and samosas for a buck and a half. Good eats!

I strongly recommend Ghandi (Queen Street just a few store fronts East of Bathurst) for their roti's. Three or four small tables are crowded in the front of the small shop, cutlery is plastic and the dishes are aluminum foil trays. But the food is available for takeout. You can phone ahead and your order will be ready for you. There are over a dozen rotis available ranging in price from $6 to $12 for the most expensive, a chicken korma, which is boneless with a delicious sauce wrapped of course in roti. One could feed two people.

Half of the rotis are vegetarian, the others are mostly lamb and chicken. I hear the butter chicken is really good, but I haven't tried it. I particularly like the potato and cauliflower. You have a choice of mild, medium, or hot. And hot is HOT. Even the mild has a quite pleasant burn to it. Tropical juices are available, as are some pakoras and samosas for a buck and a half. Good eats!

I have eaten at Ghandi myself and liked the veggie rotis. Too bad I am rarely in the area.

Mark

Absolutely! Ghandi is great. But for some reason I still end up at New York Subway (same ownership and a block east) who also serve great wraps. Again spicing is 'to taste' with the hot being REALLY hot. And NY Subway is even cheaper!

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      This almost had me in tears of nostalgia. My London home is a few minutes walk from here and I love the place. So glad to hear it seems to be being protected from developers, as I had heard it was under threat.   Wonderful food, too. Mostly vegetarian, which I'm decidedly not, but will happily eat from time to time.   London's most authentic Indian food?    

• By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By Deeps
      This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.
      Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Prep Time : 5 mins
      Cook Time: 5 mins
      Serves: 2

Ingredients:
      1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
      1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
      1 green chili, slit
      1 dried red chili
      1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
      1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
      1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
      1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
      1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
      A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
      Few curry leaves
      Salt to taste

Directions
      1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
      2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.
      3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.
      4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.
      5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.
    • By loki
      Sour Tomatillo Achar

Made this one up from a recipe for lemons. It really works for tomatilloes. A unique spice mix, and really sour for a 'different' type of pickle, or achar. It is based on a Marwari recipe - from the arid north-western part of India. Tomatilloes are not used in India (or at least not much) but are quite productive plants in my garden while lemons or other sour fruits are not possible to grow here. No vinegar or lemon juice is used, because tomatilloes are very acidic and don't need any extra.

Ingredients
      3 lbs tomatilloes husks removed and quartered
      1/4 cup salt
      1 Tbs black mustard seeds
      2 star anise buds
      10 dried chilies (I used very hot yellow peppers)
      1 tsp fenugreek seeds
      2 inch ginger (ground to a paste)
      2 TBL dark brown sugar
      1/2 cup sugar

1. In a large bowl, put the tomatilloes and sprinkle salt over them. Cover it and leave for a day, mixing occasionally.

2. Next day drain the tomatilloes.

3. Dry roast the star anise (put in first as these take longer, the black mustard, and the chilie pods (add last and barely brown in places). Cool.

4. Grind the roasted spices with the fenugreek and put aside.

5. Add tomatilloes, ginger, sugars, and everything else to a large pan and heat to boiling.

6. Cook till fully hot and boiling.

7. Fill half-pint jars and seal.
    • By loki
      Sweet Eggplant Pickle

This is an Indian pickle, some would call a chutney, that I made up from several sources and my own tastes. It is based it on my favorite sweet brinjal (eggplant here in the US) pickle available commercially. It has onion and garlic, which are often omitted in some recipes due to dietary restrictions of some religious orders. It also has dates which I added on my own based on another pickle I love. I also used olive oil as mustard oil is not available and I like it's taste in these pickles. Use other oils if you like. This has more spices than the commercial type - and I think it's superior. I avoided black mustard seed, fenugreek, and cumin because almost all other pickles use these and they start to taste the same. One recipe from Andhra Pradesh used neither and I followed it a little. It's wonderful with all sorts of Indian foods - and also used for many other dishes, especially appetizers.
      SPICE MIX (Masala)
      4 Tbs coriander seeds
      3 hot chilies (I used a very hot Habanero type, so use more if you use others)
      18 cardamom pods
      2 inches cinnamon
      24 cloves
      1 1/2 Tbs peppercorns
      MAIN INGREDIENTS
      1 cups olive oil
      4 inches fresh ginger, minced fine, about 1/2 cup
      6 cloves garlic, minced
      1 large onion finely chopped
      3 lb eggplant, diced, 1/4 inch cubes
      1/2 lb chopped dates
      1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
      2 cups rice vinegar (4.3 percent acidity or more)
      2 cups brown sugar
      2 Tbs salt
      2 tsp citric acid
      Spice Mix (Masala)

1. Dry roast half the coriander seeds in a pan till they begin to brown slightly and become fragrant - do not burn. Cool.

2. Put roasted and raw coriander seeds and all the other spices in a spice mill and grind till quite fine, or use a mortar and pestle. Put aside.

Main Pickle

1. Heat half the oil and fry ginger till slightly browned, slowly.

2. Add garlic, onion, and half the salt and fry slowly till these begin to brown a bit too.

3. Add eggplant, turmeric, and spice mix (Masala) and combine well. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add rest of ingredients, including rest of the salt and olive oil and heat slowly to a boil.

5. Boil for about 5 minutes. Add a little water if too thick - it should be nearly covered with liquid, but not quite - it will thin upon cooking so wait to add the water till heated through.

6. Bottle in sterilized jars and seal according to your local pickling instructions. This recipe will be sufficiently acidic.