• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian food

sadistick

Just thought I would share a discovery of mine, as I am always on the lookout for good ethnic fare.

Bombah Bhel at Yonge and Eglington east of yonge...went there a couple nights ago with the GF...although the server was a tad forgetfull, he was very pleasant, and the food was fantastic.

I would highly recommend the eggplant curry, it was out of this world...also had the Vindaloo with lamb which was delicious, and the GF had chicken curry, also very good.

The Naan was great (half of the reason i go out for indian) and it was very reasonably priced ($45) with a beer and 3 main courses.

Interesting. Just for my point of reference, what are your other Indian faves, and how spicy do you eat your vindaloo? I've been told the ones at Bombay Bhel are quite bland....thoughts?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Cuisine of India (at yonge and sheppard) is my other go to...

I told em to make it how the chef makes it, they didnt really offer an option, but it was quite hot, and tastey, not bland at all...

And I sent my mom and her friend (who considers herself an indian food guru) and she said that Bombay Bhel was right up there with the best...

You go in and try their Eggplant Curry or their Chickpea Curry and you wont want to go anywhere else, at least...I dont!

I've never been to Brampton but I imagine that's where you'll find the best places. Same as with Chinese or lots of other 'ethnic'* foods where there is a large associated population in the suburbs. I imagine the greater affluence there will support better restaurants. Can anyone confirm?

I don't know where Bombay Bhel is. I've gone grocery shopping and shalwar kameez shopping (ahem, the kameez for a female, not me) along Gerrard in the East End, but aside from having a paan I haven't eaten there in over a decade. My impressions are that the food is fairly straight-ahead.

(*'ethnic' - for lack of a better word - I don't normally like this word)

I don't particularly like Indian Rice Factory, in fact, the meals I've had there have been only so-so, no reason to go back. Cuisine of India is really good, been there when I'm in the area. Siddartha on Gerrard is one I frequent and has always been excellent. KevV, not sure what you mean by the food being "straight ahead"? and you're probably right about Brampton having some good places, but it is a little too out of the way for me most days.

I don't particularly like Indian Rice Factory, in fact, the meals I've had there have been only so-so, no reason to go back.  Cuisine of India is really good, been there when I'm in the area.  Siddartha on Gerrard is one I frequent and has always been excellent.  KevV, not sure what you mean by the food being "straight ahead"? and you're probably right about Brampton having some good places, but it is a little too out of the way for me most days.

One of the worst ones I have been to is the Tandoori house on Yonge, north of Sheppard. Slimy butter chicken and over-cooked naan. Cuisine of india is not bad, but nothing that I would rave about.

I have yet to eat any restaurant east indian food that compares with indian home cooking.

For the record, I prefer west indian roti and rice dishes.

Mark

I'm not sure I'll be helping here as I find Bombay Bhel to be run-of-the-mill. Also find Indian Rice Factory expensive for what you get. Also not overly impressed with Tandoori House - but buffet lunch is cheap and filling.

My regular is Trimurti on Queen st - especially for the cashew paste dishes which are not common elsewhere. And a killer Onion Bhajia too. I also find their breads exceptional (including the stufed ones).

But, given that I don't really enjoy those recommended above, you'll probably not be too interested in the one I do like!

^Au contraire, estufarian. I love Indian Food (especially home cooked when I am lucky enough to get it) and Trimurti sounds like something I will try. Onion Bhajia can be awful at many places, like lead, but when it's good, it's heaven. Look forward to trying something new. My biggest complaint about a lot of the Indian in Toronto is that it is run of the mill and/or greasy. I find there are certain different dishes I order at different places. I used to love the stuffed naan at Royal Kashmir on Yonge, and the channa masala, but it's gone now.

I strongly recommend Ghandi (Queen Street just a few store fronts East of Bathurst) for their roti's. Three or four small tables are crowded in the front of the small shop, cutlery is plastic and the dishes are aluminum foil trays. But the food is available for takeout. You can phone ahead and your order will be ready for you. There are over a dozen rotis available ranging in price from $6 to $12 for the most expensive, a chicken korma, which is boneless with a delicious sauce wrapped of course in roti. One could feed two people.

Half of the rotis are vegetarian, the others are mostly lamb and chicken. I hear the butter chicken is really good, but I haven't tried it. I particularly like the potato and cauliflower. You have a choice of mild, medium, or hot. And hot is HOT. Even the mild has a quite pleasant burn to it. Tropical juices are available, as are some pakoras and samosas for a buck and a half. Good eats!

I strongly recommend Ghandi (Queen Street just a few store fronts East of Bathurst) for their roti's. Three or four small tables are crowded in the front of the small shop, cutlery is plastic and the dishes are aluminum foil trays. But the food is available for takeout. You can phone ahead and your order will be ready for you. There are over a dozen rotis available ranging in price from $6 to $12 for the most expensive, a chicken korma, which is boneless with a delicious sauce wrapped of course in roti. One could feed two people.

Half of the rotis are vegetarian, the others are mostly lamb and chicken. I hear the butter chicken is really good, but I haven't tried it. I particularly like the potato and cauliflower. You have a choice of mild, medium, or hot. And hot is HOT. Even the mild has a quite pleasant burn to it. Tropical juices are available, as are some pakoras and samosas for a buck and a half. Good eats!

I have eaten at Ghandi myself and liked the veggie rotis. Too bad I am rarely in the area.

Mark

Absolutely! Ghandi is great. But for some reason I still end up at New York Subway (same ownership and a block east) who also serve great wraps. Again spicing is 'to taste' with the hot being REALLY hot. And NY Subway is even cheaper!