• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Burgers anyone seen them?

From an article in todays Toronto Star:

Japanese rice burgers join our foodscape

"Burger lovers have been devouring them in Japan for 18 years — and Richmond Hill for 14 weeks. They are rice burgers — two all-rice patties shaped like buns and used to envelope tempting combos of meat and veggies."

Has anyone seen these in the Lower Mainland? They look very tasty.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...ol=969048867839

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

never seen them but it's a great concept...I just had a flash of that fabulous looking horse sashimi that Ling and DaFonz had the other night...drapped over a rice bun with something pickled and zingy...yeah, okay, I would buy them.

I wonder if it's a commercially produced item or if you could make them yourself..probably work pretty well with some sushi rice and one of those tupperware hamburger patty making doo-dads.

Hmmmm....who do we know that has a restaurant that would be willing to try these...hmmmm....do we know anyone in the food business?

I have one of those tupperware doo-dads somewhere...

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I wonder if it's a commercially produced item or if you could make them yourself..probably work pretty well with some sushi rice and one of those tupperware hamburger patty making doo-dads.

I doubt it's a commercial product as I don't recall seeing them in Japan. If anything, the rice burgers are closer to yaki onigiri (grilled rice balls) than rice cakes.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Diamaru Shushi at Number Three and Ackroyd in Richmond, same mall as Chapetrs next to the Starbuck has had them for years.

And I'll let you read between the lines, the only good thing about that place is the music. Seriously, the sushi chefs have absolutely phenomenal taste in music, contemporay bossa nova played at loud volumes is the most attractive part of the restaurant.

I have seen something similar to the photos posted. There was a short-lived Japanese restaurant - in Victoria - that served a glutinous rice patty. That's pretty much all they served for lunch.

I think the photos show a better concept. It's kind of like the forerunner of the rice krispie square. But savoury.

Daidoco here in Victoria serves a roasted onigiri that I adore. Basically pressed sushi rice, brushed with their house soy sauce and roasted under the grill so you get a crispy coating. Delicious.

I have used wild rice in the past as a savoury pie crust. Mix cooked rice with egg and parmesean and press it into a pie mold. Bake until set and then use a quiche mold or whatever.

I've veered off topic a bit, but I think what they are serving in Toronto would fly in Vancouver.

Get cooking, Vancitygirl.

I've had them as well, but not in Vancouver. I think it's an interesting twist, and if you life rice, you'd probably like them. The rice bun definitely resemble glutinous rice balls more so than rice cakes--it's chewy and sticky.

I doubt it's a commercial product as I don't recall seeing them in Japan. If anything, the rice burgers are closer to yaki onigiri (grilled rice balls) than rice cakes.

Rice Burgers are popular at the Japanese Fast Food Chain Mos Burger

I'm only too well aware of that, having lived there for 6 years. I believe Badiane was referring to whether you could buy the rice "buns" as a wholesale/commercial item. I am not aware of any such product.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Ugh. Don't remind me. When I was living in Taiwan, MOS Burger was everywhere--even McDonalds served rice burgers. I never felt the urge to try one, but heard from people that did that they taste something like a rice cake sandwich filled with risotto. (Decide for yourself whether that's good or bad.)

• 2 weeks later...

TRIVIA - Rice under the golden arches

The iconic McDonald's burger on a bun has been reinterpreted for a different ethnic clientele. Reuters reports that the 124 Singaporean outlets of the fast-food giant have joined 346 eateries in Taiwan as places where a Big Mac (or any other McD burger) can be ordered sandwiched between two rice cakes rather than a wheat-flour roll. No word on mustard and ketchup.

Wonder if Vancouver will follow.

I'm guessing unlikely.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista