• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cru

makanmakan

This is just a quickie post on our lovely dinner last night. (work is beckoning :rolleyes: ) I'll post some pics later as i have a few!

We had a 9:30 reso last night and arrived to our table of 6 ready and waiting for us. I'd only been once before and for the rest of our party, it was their first. Just like my previous experience, the service was attentive, but not breathing down our necks. The food, of course, was the star of the meal.

A couple of us did the $35 menu and the rest of the table did the $25.

We started with an order of oysters (which i can never resist) and an order of fries. Both were polished off pretty quickly. I love their fries. Perfectly salted and crispy and the aioli, well, garlicky mayo. 'nuff said! The oysters were exquisite. Half a dozen of little oysters, didn't ask what they were, so sweet and so fresh. Topped with an orange ginger mignonette that also had some sesame oil goodness in it. Delicious. I had all this with a glass of the Blue Mountain Brut. Yummy!

My first course was the smoked tuna carpaccio. I had this the last time I was there on the recommendation of Mooshmouse and I couldn't resist. Smokey, tender, slightly salty, melt in your mouth albacore tuna with some beets and baby greens on top. I could eat this everyday and be a happy woman. The wine pairing was very nice as well, although i can't recall what it was.

For my second, i chose the lamb loin. Oh my god, this was sooooo good. The lamb was very tender, perfectly done med rare, and a lovely rich sauce was cradling it. It came with a little tart of puff pastry topped with some sauteed veggies. Nice, just not mind blowing. Paired with a glass of the Cru blend by Tinhorn Creek.

My dessert was the bitter chocolate torte. Oh, this could be my new favourite chocolate dessert. The texture was a bit truffle like, maybe a bit firmer and the flavour was rich rich chocolate and just slightly sweet. The stewed fruit under it was a nice accompaniment with it. So was my glass of Fonseca port.

Other starters ordered was the ceasar salad (always so good), the mushroom bruschetta, the beef carpaccio (so good) and the carrot ginger soup (also very good).

Other mains were the duck confit (crispy skin atop very flavourful, tender meat and sitting on top a very nicely sauced papardalle), the seared albacore tuna, and the wild mushroom risotto (so very good, rich, creamy sauce). The risotto could be my new favourite mushroom risotto. Previously, my favourite was Parkside's.

Half the table had the chocolate torte, and the other half did the creme brulee. The creme brulee was very creamy, soft, and with a nice crust on top. Classic and very nicely done.

We all had a great night and left with full bellies and a new favourite restaurant. I now am nursing a little bit of a headache from all that I drank. Ouch :wacko:

Just an extra note on the people there. We were the last table there and as we were getting ready to leave, had a chance to chat with the staff there. They were so friendly, very gracious, and quite amusing. We definitely didn't feel like they were trying to get us the hell out of there. :cool:

Quentina

Paired with a glass of the Cru blend by Tinhorn Creek

Actually, Mark Taylor worked with Township 7 to create his House Red blend.

Glad that your meal was stellar on all accounts!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks so much for the comments, Makanmakan: you've made my decision on what to try tonight so much harder, as it all sounds so good!

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Paired with a glass of the Cru blend by Tinhorn Creek

Actually, Mark Taylor worked with Township 7 to create his House Red blend.

Glad that your meal was stellar on all accounts!

lol, you're right! in my fuzzy state this morning, i know i was thinking Township 7, but apparently, my fingers had other plans. :rolleyes:

Hope you have fun tonight, ElizR! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Just returned from a delightful first meal at Cru. What a charming little restaurant: it was small and cosy but not cramped, and the atmosphere was one of intimacy and warmth.

Service was attentive and professional but unobtrusive, and we did notice that the servers all seemed to be having a good time: it looked as if everyone working there thoroughly enjoys their job. This is hard to find, and that "extra something" added enormously to customer goodwill without any obvious effort. :smile:

We both had the $25 menu and for appetizers my friend had the wild mushroom on grilled crostini and I had the carrot and ginger soup. We loved both.

For the main course my friend selected the butternut squash spaetzle, and she was impressed with the quantity of food and the complexity of the flavours. I polished off the duck confit in no time: sometimes there's nothing quite like a nice bit of duck skin to hit the spot!

We ordered a side of fries: they were thin cut and seemed to have a garlic coating. Along with the garlic mayo it was a bit much for me. I prefer fries to be thicker cut with nothing added, and the mayo to be "straight". But it's just a question of personal preference.

The creme brulee was extra creamy, yummy!

I also ordered an extra chocolate torte from the $35 menu, and ate it all, but found it a little dry.

We each ordered a glass of wine, and the total came to exactly $100 - an excellent deal.

I'd happily go back any time. :wub:

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

better late than never! here are some pics from our cru night. ok, not all the courses are documented and i blame the alcohol!

the herb crusted lamb loin. simply delicious

gallery_32080_2465_62149.jpg

'shroom risotto. awesome

gallery_32080_2465_40314.jpg

duck confit. crispy skin, oh duck skin. :wub:

gallery_32080_2465_37728.jpg

dark chocolate torte. chocolatey goodnes

gallery_32080_2465_32815.jpg

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina