• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about freezing sauces

Kim Shook

In another thread I mentioned that I am going to attempt the Keller skirt steak from the Bouchon book. It involves (operative word - involved :laugh: ) making a veal stock and a red wine jus. The veal stock is veal bones, a calf's foot, tomato paste, carrots, leeks, onions, garlic, herbs and tomatoes. The wine jus is wine, onions, carrots, leeks, shallots, mushrooms, herbs, garlic and some of the veal stock. Can I freeze either one of these finished sauces. It would make my life so much easier if I could. If not, how much in advance could I make and then refrigerate? Thank you!

In another thread I mentioned that I am going to attempt the Keller skirt steak from the Bouchon book.  It involves (operative word - involved  :laugh: ) making a veal stock and a red wine jus.  The veal stock is veal bones, a calf's foot, tomato paste, carrots, leeks, onions, garlic, herbs and tomatoes.  The wine jus is wine, onions, carrots, leeks, shallots, mushrooms, herbs, garlic and some of the veal stock.  Can I freeze either one of these finished sauces.  It would make my life so much easier if I could.  If not, how much in advance could I make and then refrigerate?  Thank you!

both sauces freeze just fine. i keep pint upon pint of veal stock and essences in my freezer for use. Can you imagine making all that everyday?!?!

I find though that it freezes better without the tomato paste involved. Tomato in stock i believe is a throwback to old sauce techniques... could be wrong though...

Feezing is fine as long as you freeze properly.

Use Airtight containers.

Tomato presents no problem.

Bring the sauce back to a boil for 45 seconds and swirl the pot around.

You would whisk gently too.

UP to One month :

Simply freeze in airtight tupperware.

Up to 3 months:

You can pop out the frozen blocks from above after they are solid and cryovac them almost indefinitely without discernible quality loss. (Stock only not sauce).

Reduced wine and stock freeze wonderfully. I freeze everything in baggies. They're permeable as heck, but I don't keep stuff frozen for that long. If I do run into stock that's been frozen for a while/burned, I'll wash off the outer 1/8" with warm water. I lose a little this way, but what's leftover is flawless.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Thank you all so much!  Now, if only my butcher comes through with a calf's foot and skirt steak, I am in business!

The reason the recipe calls for a calves foot and skirt steak is because classically stock should be 2/3 bone and 1/3 meat... if i were you i would forgo it and just use veal breast instead. relatively inexpensive cut nobody uses and makes an awesome stock...