• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Fusión 2006 - Ferran's manifesto

AlexForbes

My media expert took a ton of pics. Unfortunately due to airline complication I missed most of Madrid Fusion so I really dont know what happened. I will try to post as many images as I can.

gallery_8428_2518_16720.jpg

Chef Ferran Discussing His Manifesto

gallery_8428_2518_29264.jpg

Chef Ferrans Demo

gallery_8428_2518_26368.jpg

Arzak, Ben & Homaro

gallery_8428_2518_6196.jpg

The Cantu Designs Food Replicator

gallery_8428_2518_62625.jpg

Ben Roche setting up the Food Replicator

gallery_8428_2518_33796.jpg

Ben Roche operating the Replicator

All in all this was a great experience for us. We were very fortunate to have attended. My goal is to have a US version of this conference. What is appealing to me about Madrid Fusion and Lo Mejor is that its a conference about art & science in food and it clearly is not an awards based gathering. My hope is to help start a US based gathering. No awards, no "best chef" or "outstanding anything". Just a discussion of gastronomy. Well, maybe we will have a "best line cook" or "best dishwasher" category but thats about it. I think Henry Rollins will be the logical choice for the host. If youre interested and Im dead serious about this, shoot me an email.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

My media expert took a ton of pics. Unfortunately due to airline complication I missed most of Madrid Fusion so I really dont know what happened. I will try to post as amny images as I can.

Welcome back (I'm U.S.-side right now)!! Can't wait to hear all about what you were able to catch of Madrid Fusion... sorry to hear about the airline complications...

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

For those wanting to read more about the Madrid Fusión, I stumbled upon a food blog written by a Panamanian chef, half in Spanish, half in English, with a scathing review of her experience there (and lots of great photos). I had a very different experience than hers, but anyways, for those of you interested,

here's the link http://elenahernandez.blogspot.com

(sorry, couldn't figure out the hyperlink feature).

scroll down a lot and you'll find her post Madrid Fusion 2006 - The Spanish Inhospitality , among others.

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

For those wanting to read more about the Madrid Fusión, I stumbled upon a food blog written by a Panamanian chef, half in Spanish, half in English, with a scathing review of her experience there (and lots of great photos). I had a very different experience than hers, but anyways, for those of you interested,

here's the link http://elenahernandez.blogspot.com

(sorry, couldn't figure out the hyperlink feature).

scroll down a lot and you'll find her post Madrid Fusion 2006 - The Spanish Inhospitality , among others.

I thought the organizers of MF were very kind to us. They even provided a tour guide for our team. Javier Zaccagnini is the owner of Aalto winery and he did an awesome job of taking care of our needs while in Madrid. Id say MF was more hospitable than any other event I have been to. Sure every event could be ran better but this one sets a very high standard. It shouldnt be slammed for one or two individuals having a bad day.

www.motorestaurant.com

I also found that the organisers and press office went to extraorrdinary lengths to be of help. It would be fantastic to see it reproduced, though I don't see where the funding could come from. It was my impression that the Spanish govt really gets behind this event. I couldn't imagine another western govt allocating those kinds of resources.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I also found that the organisers and press office went to extraorrdinary lengths to be of help. It would be fantastic to see it reproduced, though I don't see where the funding could come from. It was my impression that the Spanish govt really gets behind this event. I couldn't imagine another western govt allocating those kinds of resources.

I agree, although there are plenty of commercial dollars that could exceed the funding pumped into MF. Those dollars are easy to come by and are seen every day in food mags. Its not a contest but I believe something huge could be put in place if a group of chefs were willing to work at it.

www.motorestaurant.com

I think it would be a great thing. Although I am an interested diner, I would be very interested in attending such an event if I could somehow make my schedule co-incide with it. Rather than taking away from the madrid Fusion, i think it would add to it as a complimentary piece.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

ditto. i'm more of an emotional rather than intellectual eater - but i definitely think that attending such even could only enhance my eating experiences.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It was my impression that the Spanish govt really gets behind this event.

Wrong impression, AFAIK. This is financed through commercial sponsoring and registration fees. The ol' capitalist way. I do think ICEX, the government department devoted to promoting Spanish food and wine exports, covered part of the traveling expenses for a bunch of foreign wine writers and organized the series of tastings of Spanish wines held especially for them - but this was not properly a Madrid Fusión event.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Hmm, not too sure about that, Víctor. Madrid Fusion site shows under the label of sponsors a bunch of local, regional and national governmental departments.

I seriously doubt that this is a 100% privately funded event, without any facts to support it other than the aforementioned site. Albeit, we all have to remember that tourism is Spain's first industry so it's not totally out of place that some public money is allocated to its promotion. At least by European standards, but that's an off topic matter.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Me again. I just wanted to clarify that I had a wonderful time at the MF, and posted that hyperlink of that blog only to allow those who didn't go to the event to be exposed to different points of view. It did help, of course, to be there on official assignment, having access to great seats, a fully-equipped press room (which chefs like Keller used as well, to check their email), the chef's room, where participating chefs had lunch and mingled, a bus to take us journalists to and fro our hotel, the new and ultramodern Puerta America, etc. etc. etc. But above all, it was an amazing opportunity to chat with and interview some of the chefs I most admire.

And as for the blogger's complaint that food was served too late in the afternoon, I agree, which is why I hung out at Joselito's stand, munching on some of the world's best jamón. :)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website