• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Station recommendations

Partner and I will be training it up to fancy London later this week and although we are on the world's biggest budget after 2 months holiday in the sun, we've promised ourselves a quiet afternoon in the pub after our work obligations.

We are looking for somewhere for a casual late afternoon drink near Victoria Station - freehouse? interesting drinks list? nice beer? Possibility of bar food in the evening, but this is by no means necessary - we're happy to keep this event liquid with the possible exception of a packet of salt and vinegar and a pickled egg -

I'm trying to push for an afternoon visit to the Tate Gallery, so a pub near there wouldn't be a bad option for us either..

Thank in advance!

Go to Boisdale.

It's burns night today.

I was there on monday night for a Burns night supper.

They had a bagpiper play "Scotland the Brave" as the haggis was served and the waiter recited the address of the haggis.

There was a lovely jazz band playing.

They are meant to have the largest selection of whisky in London.

And the rest of the menu is pretty good too I had a lovely 28 day hung piece of sirloin with roast shallots, blue cheese dauphinoise and black truffle jus.

check it out

http://www.boisdale.co.uk/

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Thank you for all the replies - we were left with too many choices in the end, and we'll certainly be going back to check out the places we didn't get a chance to visit.

We decided on the Thomas Cubitt - it sounded slightly less foody than the others and at that stage we thought (money, money, money!) we'd only be wanting a drink. Arriving at about four when it was near empty the staff were incredibly welcoming and we can confirm the beer was great - I had a glass of merlot/grenache blend from the Languedoc and we sat around out of the miserable biting cold really enjoying ourselves. The staff make everything look effortless and really appear to take pride in what they do. It's a great place to people watch - we had a table near the front french windows and watched a stream of rich belgravian women wearing fur drop off their pets at the vets surgery opposite.

The pub rapidly filled up after working hours and their was a nice buzz. In the end (budget be damned!) we couldn't resist eating as the bar menu looked great - we were not dissapointed. Hubby had the organic burger for a £10 - I decided that as it was Australia Day, I needed to show the flag and eat lamb. They had an amazingly tender and full flavoured huge braised lamb shank with wedges of roasted beetroot and mash. Totally fabulous. And £11. In fact -we were stunned by the prices - there we were in Belgravia and we were eating great food in a beautifully restored pub for less than I pay for a bloody pizza here in the heart of Hampshire. What's all that about??? The entire bill - three rounds of drinks and the two mains came to £44 - we decided to be virtuous and walk back to Waterloo station in the tornado/ sub zero temperatures and thus save the tube fare!

Thanks again - it was a great afternoon and exactly what we wanted!

• 2 weeks later...