• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australia Day

@Captain, what's in that Lambington rollup, aside from lamb? Your feast looks delicious. Too bad I'm on the other side of the world!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ha!n  I saw (in my mind) "lamington" the cake! I needed a laugh

Aha! No, I think the joke's on me! Now that I look again, I think you're right. xD

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Captain, what's in that Lambington rollup, aside from lamb? Your feast looks delicious. Too bad I'm on the other side of the world!

May have to make one of those. Maybe Swiss cheese for the cream. Grated Parmesan instead of coconut outside, although coconut might taste interesting. 😃

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Thanks Guy's,

The Lamington Roll was for desserts.

2 eggs separated

100g caster sugar

Beat egg yokes with half the sugar till creamy

Add 110g Self raising. A tablespoon of corn flour.  A splash or two of milk and a pinch of salt.

Whisk egg whites adding remainder sugar a little at a time till soft peaks.

Mix egg whites in three stages to the batter. The last portion folded through.

Bake @200c in the appropriate tray.  I let it cool for just a few mins before turning out and then roll up and let it cool to room temp.

Unroll gently spread with strawberry jam then whipped cream, roll back up.

Chocolate icing.

230g icing sugar

50g cocoa

20g butter

1/3 cup milk

In a bowl over simmering water till smooth.  Poor over your rollup that sits on cooling rack over a tray, then cover with coconut.

Enjoy your Fair dinkum Aussie desserts.😉

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1