• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australia Day

Your menu sounds lovely Shal, I wish I am up in sydney so I can invite myself,

in Melbourne we are having another hot one, I was told it is going to be in the 40Cs , last night in the balmy backyard we had garlic prawns , Mussels cooked in a chilli tomato and salami sauce with potato, a green salad with cos, avcocado, and white peach, and a simple dressing of vino cotto and Mt zero organic evvo ( it is the only Australian evoo I like) a nice crusty baguette to dip in those lovely garlic prawn flavoured oil. and a few bottles of Australian sparkling whites, oh and a few james boag Tassie premium largers :wacko::wacko::wacko: , and fruit to finish.

Today, Australia Day, it will be too hot to cook, I might do something with a smoked trout I have in the fridge, may be a salad with horseredish cream, or a sandwish, or a pasta , I don't think there will be many people doing the good O' Australia Day BBQ in Melbourne.

Let us know how you lunch go, and do post some picts, love your cooking class post in the other forum. :smile:

• Like 1

my sister made a pavlova

we had a barbeque

went to the pieman's place for a party to watch all the goings on on sydney harbour, the opera house and everything else on macquarie street (and also got to meet the eggman's wife!!!!)....oddly enuf, the pieman didn't put any pies out, which i thot would be easy enuf for him to do

and had rachel perlow's rainbow jelly, but in australian colours (yellow and green)

sofar, it's been great.

we might top it off with chinese takeaway - more australian than maccas, i say.

After having a great holiday in Australia we had afew friends over an Australian brunch prior to heading off to work rather late :biggrin: I was inspired by the breakfast at Bill's so we went for:

Ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter

Coconut bread

sweet corn fritters

black and white pudding (it was Robbie Burns day on the 25th)

Happy holiday.

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Spent most of the day sailing to avoid 40 degree oven on shore. Ate cold chicken sandwiches for lunch, and massive home delivered Indian with bone-in goat curry, sensational stuff for a hot evening... And to top it all off, a couple bottles of chardonnay and dry and dry's....

• Like 1

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

That looks superb Shal. I'm very envious of those who tucked into all that food.

I don't think there will be many people doing the good O' Australia Day BBQ in Melbourne.

Wimps!

I did the BBQ at lunchtime - just a few sausages, a couple of lamb chops (inspired by that ex-Rooboy, Sam Kekovich, and his TV ad), and a salad.

• Like 1
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

(inspired by that ex-Rooboy, Sam Kekovich, and his TV ad)

and Glenn McGrath and Masterfoods, :biggrin:

How could you ? in that heat ? did your bbq melt to the ground ?

Sam Kekovich > Glenn McGrath.

As for the BBQ, I stood inside under the air conditioner, and raced out every few minutes to keep an eye on things. Needless to say, everything got somewhat overcooked! Hey, I didn't say the food was any good, did I? :raz:

• Haha 1
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

• 4 weeks later...

We had large Australian beef T-bones as we always do on Australia Day, wth a green salad and potato salad made with my own fair hands and of cause home made mayonnaise. All washed down with a few glasses of Australian Red. Followed by nothing, we were too full to eat anything else after those giant T-bones.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

Well, this should be interesting, and maybe should be in the Never Again thread.

Ordered a mixed pack of pork from my DB's hay dude who raises pigs and is trying the direct to consumer thing. Apparently he works with a butcher in Echuca and my communication may not have been really clear. I asked for a rack of ribs and threw the opaque bag in the freezer for Australia Day. After defrosting here's what I unwrapped last night:

IMG_20180125_195504651.thumb.jpg.3a9372255c69c92b6917ce06ba684aa7.jpg

The skin was on the other side and it included the very top of a leg. I don't know much about cuts of meat or pig anatomy but managed to mangle out something that resembles nowhere near enough ribs for 4 people and another piece that might survive an attempt to bbq on the gas grill. There are a couple of other chunks (how did I manage to saw a hidden bone perfectly lengthwise?). One looks like it could be turned into chops or a loin roast and who knows what else was attached. Wish me luck. We can always do burgers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Straya' to me is all about sausage in bread. In fact thats what my kid had for breakfast  today, from Bunnings of course :D. Being as hub is low carb I couldn't do the bread but low and behold I found a low carb Snag! 

Not very Stralian but hey ho. 

20180126_202102.thumb.jpg.55c47b0106093c88efd0b6875fb76ce5.jpg

No wait I lied, he says hes a Snag man, Australian enough! 

20180127_184749.thumb.jpg.e098f3f8b2448c45971bdffd70d36e55.jpg

And so there you have it. Snag on no bread on plate for Australia day 9_9

20180126_205151.thumb.jpg.d4e165e6701bf79e3c7785abe44712c9.jpg

And forgive me, whilst we are keeping it culinary, I have no idea how to 'sex up' a plain old sausage! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

And forgive me, whilst we are keeping it culinary, I have no idea how to 'sex up' a plain old sausage! 

"Kommste vonne Schicht, wat schönres jibt es nicht wie Currywurst" ...

Edited by Duvel
Link (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Sauerkraut and or a good German mustard maybe. I like to fry up the kraut or better yet a mixture of sauerkraut and kimchi. Or at least you could add fried onions to keep it Australian. Nice looking snag, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:59 PM, Okanagancook said:

Serve the ribs as an appetizer and then make burgers with the rest....your description is sirloin.  Include as much fat or bacon into your burgers.

happy Australia Day mate!

Talked to the pig in a poke bloke when he was delivering hay for the ponies, and you are correct that it is the loin (what I thought was a leg was the base of the tail), although he admitted he was just learning about what happens to the pigs after he raises them. Apparently the butcher sells a lot of those sections for pulled pork, although we both agreed that we like shoulder.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A follow up to a post on the Sous Vide thread, I made wattle seed and mountain pepper rubbed lamb on the barbie for Australia Day. It turned out really well in spite of my thermometer not working. The rub is basically ground mountain pepper berry, ground wattle seed, salt and olive oil. I used boneless leg of lamb and cut it open into a slab. so there was a lot of surface to rub.

• Like 6

G'Day,

Lamb Leg smoked low & slow in my Kamado.  Served with grilled veg and a salad, crusty bread and great wine.

IMG_20200126_155726.thumb.jpg.e8f274fa2efd208015e082c0d0ab4370.jpg

IMG_20200126_155729.thumb.jpg.d4419639f986b225b2af9035929548e7.jpg

Wipped up a Lamington Rollup for a touch more Aussie flare.

IMG_20200126_173746.thumb.jpg.7d233f116ced1008fa0ea6701ea29870.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3