• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tomato paste

eatrustic

I'm in the middle of making Mario's Ragu Bolognese and his recipe calls for 6 oz of tomato paste. I have the Doppio Concentrato in the tube. Does this mean that I should use half as much (Doppio meaning double)? I would hate to overkill all that veal, pancetta and pork with too much tomato. Thanks

My BIL and I have each done a few Mario recipes with tomato paste, and in our opinions, he calls for too much. We have each wished we had cut the amount in half, or used just a quarter of what he called for.

BTW, not familiar with the product to which you refer.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I actually was making half the recipe so since it called for 3 oz. of t. paste I backed that off (after the above comments) to 2 oz. and the final result seems just fine, not overly tomatoed.

The question still remains though since it may be a case of cutting back on Mario vs. the Dopio Concentrato being stronger. (I also have some triplo!).

Anyone with a definitive answer or do I have to jump to the Italy forum??

I actually was making half the recipe so since it called for 3 oz. of t. paste I backed that off (after the above comments) to 2 oz. and the final result seems just fine, not overly tomatoed.

The question still remains though since it may be a case of cutting back on Mario vs. the Dopio Concentrato being stronger. (I also have some triplo!).

Anyone with a definitive answer or do I have to jump to the Italy forum??

I Googled "doppio Concentrato" and found that the concentration can vary depending upon the maker and the product.

This web site states that theirs is a double concentrate.

If what you have is a similar product, then halving the amount would be correct.

edited to add: I'm thinking that it should say something on the label about the concentration. You could always type the label info into a Babelfish translator on the internet to see what it says.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver