• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

People Just Starting Out

Hi Sara, sorry iposted in the wrong thread lol anyway i would like some advice from someone who has been around the industry. As a culinary student just starting out, one who has the passion, the drive and the skill what kind of advice would you give to me in search for a job. I am competent in my abilities but it is hard to find someone who will gove you the opportunity. I've worked in a few frestaurants but it's time for me to step into restaurants that challenge, inspire and excite me. I live in Vancouver Canada and we have an excellent culianry scene but i do intend to travel and work around the world but what advice can you give me that will help me start off on the right track at the right restaurant? Your advice is greatly appreciated

It is hard to break in but what you should remember is the most important thing is attitude. At the end of the day nobody cares how much you know, they care that you are passionate about food, want to learn, will do any job, don't care what hours you work. Every time I have hired someone new that is why I hired them.

Sara Moulton