• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is I can't get skirt steak?

Kim Shook

Ok, the Bouchon thread has inspired me and I want to make the skirt steak. I am planning on making it for Valentine's Day. Mr. Kim loves steak (I can only eat a bite or two - gastric bypass surgery). I have asked the butcher at my grocery store if he can get me skirt steak, a calves foot and veal bones. They have veal bones all the time and he thinks that he can probably get me a foot, but they only special order skirt steaks in 40 lb. amounts :shock: ! We told him that we could take up to 10 lb. and what he is going to try to do is pair us up with some other people who want it too. (We live in Richmond, VA and the store is Ukrops - they have amazing customer service).

My question is: if they simply cannot get me the skirt steak, is there another (more available) cut that would work the same way??? Thank you so much!

Kim:

Skirt steak is actually the diaphragm of the cow. Called a "skirt steak" I think because of the confusion with "Faja" or Girdle in Spanish, where the terms "Fajitas" comes from. The skirt steak is the cut of choice for fajitas.

Your grocery store butcher might be confined to purchasing 40 pounds at a time, but are there any other butchers in your area? Perhaps a smaller specialty butcher would have better availability of a cut that apparently isn't popular enough in your area to bother to keep around.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The problem in my area, South Florida and a huge ethnic population, is not availability but cost.

Skirt steak costs as much as sirloin or ribeye. No kidding. I kid you not. They charge that much and don't blink an eye.

When I find it on sale, I generally purchase 10 pounds or so.

Ahhh, the joys of living in Texas. Skirt steak, i.e. fajita, can be found everywhere and is cheap.

If you can't find anyone else to go in on the beef with you and you can't justify spending the money, you can sub in flank steak.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

My question is:  if they simply cannot get me the skirt steak, is there another (more available) cut that would work the same way???  Thank you so much!

The knee-jerk substitution is flank steak or hanger steak.

Disclaimer: Am unsure which thread you're referring to, so I haven't seen the recipe or a description of the dish. Provide a link, pointer or description and we'll be more specific.

skirt steak is readily available at our local Publixs grocery store, but they ask a high price for it.  $5.99/lb now a days.  I remember when you couldn't give this away.

Me too, and it's too darn bad because now I really have a taste for it. Flank steak makes a decent substitute in terms of texture but just can't match the flavor.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Can you get an Angus flank steak? Much better marbeling, and more flavor, as all Angus cuts can boast.

I notice the stores in our area are carrying a larger and larger selection of Black Angus certified beef.

Interesting. The local butcher shops sell it here for about $3.99/lb, but it is frozen, and wrapped, so I don't see what I am getting. If I head to a hispanic market, it is in the case, not frozen nor wrapped, and running $1.99/lb.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Interesting.  The local butcher shops sell it here for about $3.99/lb, but it is frozen, and wrapped, so I don't see what I am getting.  If I head to a hispanic market, it is in the case, not frozen nor wrapped, and running $1.99/lb.

Ug. I envy you.

:rolleyes: