• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Pound Cake

helenjp

I have to resurrect this thread because I read it all the through after deciding I wanted to serve pound cake for New Years eve. I did a 5 course tasting menu and wanted a very simple dessert so planned for pound cake, home made chocolate ice cream, fresh fruit and whipped cream. I did a ton of research looking for the best recipe to come out with what I was imagining: moist, buttery, not too heavy, with a nice crispy/chewy crust.

I made the cold oven pound cake using 5 eggs and one yolk, and 3 tsp of vanilla. It was fantastic! 10 of us devoured both loaves over the course of a couple of hours!

I was alreadfy in a food coma by the time we got to dessert so forgot to take a picture of the cake sliced but here's a loaf fresh out of the pan.gallery_57376_5563_871048.jpg