• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Pound Cake

helenjp

I have made that cream cheese pound cake many times and it is always a big hit with the customers and does well by me with ease of preparation. I'll have to give Gale Gand's pound cake a try. Her recipes are always winners.

Ling, try the Cold Oven pound cake I posted. One of the things I love about it is that it is slightly lighter than most pound cakes, while still being a pound cake.

The flavor also is so buttery and strong.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I made your cake this afternoon, Becca. I did like it a lot more than the Elvis Presley pound cake...it's amazing what a little less egg and a little leavening can do! It is much lighter. However, I don't think I beat the EP cake long enough when I made it on Monday, b/c I was in a big rush. So perhaps the comparison isn't 100% fair, but I do like your pound cake recipe a lot. It would be great with a tart lemon glaze!

link to a photo of Becca's cake

I tried your pound cake recipe, Becca. I love it! I halved the recipe to make 1 9x5 loaf. I've been on a vanilla kick lately, so I doubled the amount of vanilla the recipe called for, plus added some tahitiensis vanilla beans. My cake was done in about 53 minutes. I'll try to add some pictures later.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Here's what the pound cake looks like. Several days later, and its still great stuff. Sweet, dense, vanilla goodness.

gallery_23736_355_15856.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

After viewing this thread I decided to make Becca's recipe. But after putting the baby to sleep I realized I used all the cream for ice cream a few days ago & didn't want to wake him. So I substituted some coconut creme fraiche I had leftover from a dessert I made over the weekend. I did thin it out with some coconut milk & I added the zest of 3 lemons. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I also used smaller loaf pans..7x3 I think they are.

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

^Becca, could you tell us which other recipes you tested against your Cold Oven pound cake? Did you try the sour cream and cream cheese variations? I remember doing a few recipes that had sour cream and cream cheese...but can't remember which ones I liked the best. Thanks!

Do you think you can use Becca's recipe in any other type of pan? I bought all the stuff to make the recipe only to find out I don't have a loaf pan in the house. *grumble* I'd really like to try it but the thought of running out to the market just for a temporary loaf pan (a friend has mine so I don't really want to get a new one).

Do you think you can use Becca's recipe in any other type of pan? I bought all the stuff to make the recipe only to find out I don't have a loaf pan in the house. *grumble* I'd really like to try it but the thought of running out to the market just for a temporary loaf pan (a friend has mine so I don't really want to get a new one).

Do you have a bundt pan? I think you would need to make the full recipe to fill it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Ling, off the top of my head:

Cooks Illustrated

Cake Bible

Fine Cooking (sour cream and cream cheese versions)

Martha stewart

That along with a couple that were so forgettable I forgot them :rolleyes: .

OnigirlFB, It works fine in a bundt pan. Just increase the baking time some.

-Becca

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

The cakes came out great. Moist & light. The lemon & creme fraiche give it a nice tang. I'm sure some thinned out sour cream can be substituted. I put a lemon glaze on it as well. My kids ate almost a whole loaf by themselves.

gallery_29777_2519_47776.jpg

I used the smaller pans & they came out damn near perfect.

I'm going to try a marble version today and the girls definitely want more lemon. I might use yogurt in place of the creme fraiche to see how that turns out.

Edited by sugarbuzz (log)

I think smaller pans are key. Mine tasted great, were very moist, but the 1/2 I put in the large loaf pan sunk, while the ones I split over three loaf pans did better. Although, I'm wondering if my baking powder is kaput. Could that be a factor in a sinking center, or would it be more like overcooking?

Edited to day: This recipe is much better than the Perfect Pound Cake recipe in the Cake Bible. I think the heavy cream is key.

Edited by skyflyer3 (log)

Here's the marble version of Becca's recipe. It was very dense but still very moist. I added 1/2 c. scharffenberger cocoa & 1 1/2 oz melted unswtnd chocolate..also Scharffenberger.

I started with only the cocoa but the batter tasted a bit too sweet so I added the unsweetenend chocolate to cut it a bit.

gallery_29777_2519_31737.jpg