• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Weeks in the Heartland

I happened upon this thread and just want to send some info. your way from a patron of a city with a restaurant week - weeks actually. Here in Vancouver, BC we have Dine-Out Vancouver for two weeks in late January/early Feb. We are in the middle right now. It is great for filling up the restaurants, and definately gets us diners out there trying old favorites and looking for new ones. However, it is not exactly the same as just trying the restaurant normally. Many of the restaurants have started putting a variety of rules into the experience, like turning tables every 1.5 or 2 hours - which means that they bring your food faster than normal - or fitting in some extra tables and really kind of stretching themselves. Last year there was some discussion about how for 14 nights, you have Saturdays and a number of places seemed to have had problems with that.

So far my experiences this year have been mixed, but I would have to say that you get a taste for the place maybe not 100% true to reality, and you get a chance to sample the food, but what seems to be true is that it is a week (or two) where one should not be too judgemental and where one may not be right to expect the same experience one would get normally.

So, in short, I recommend that this is a good time of year to go and dine out at your local spots, maybe use a low season time to try someplace new, bring friends and have a good time. Don't wait for a restaurant week special and enjoy what is going on in your cities!

• 1 month later...

moonsnsqrl, please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist. Despite the username, I'm now a KC area resident. And I think there's a patio table at 40 sardines with our names carved on it.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

moonsnsqrl, please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.  Despite the username, I'm now a KC area resident.  And I think there's a patio table at 40 sardines with our names carved on it.

chicagowench!

i have no idea how long you've been in k.c., but welcome to the egullet k.c. "club!"

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

moonsnsqrl, please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.  Despite the username, I'm now a KC area resident.  And I think there's a patio table at 40 sardines with our names carved on it.

Right after I posted that I found out Alex Pryor (head of KC Originals) was out of town and then I promptly forgot about it. Thanks for the offer of help although I'm not even sure what I'm going to do about it, other than contact him which I will do now that I've been reminded. If he's lukewarm about it I may ask others to call/write and help convince him but at this point let's not be pesky.

Oh, and you really shouldn't carve your names in the tables at restaurants! :biggrin:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Right after I posted that I found out Alex Pryor (head of KC Originals) was out of town and then I promptly forgot about it.  Thanks for the offer of help although I'm not even sure what I'm going to do about it, other than contact him which I will do now that I've been reminded.  If he's lukewarm about it I may ask others to call/write and help convince him but at this point let's not be pesky.

... if he even bats a lash of interest - just let us know, i'd love to add to the effort!! :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is late, but Twin Cities Originals are having their restaurant week right now!

Twin Cities Original Restaurant Week

You can check in with local "Originals" chapters to get the word on their plans, or to find contact info to submit your encouragement:

National Dine Originals Page

The latest on many Restaurant Weeks can also be found here:

National Restaurant Week Roundup

These things are difficult to organize, and the tougest part is coming up with a consistent offer to which ALL participating restaurants can adhere. Because of the logistical challenges of rounding up restaurants, generating publicity, ensuring compliance, and dealing with the inevitable diner feedback, not many agencies want to take this on.

The most successful Restaurant Weeks have been run by Tourism Bureaus who manage to garner huge sponsorships (Visa, Amex, etc.) to pay for the overhead involved. It's less likely that heartland cities have these resources at their disposal.

You can see a blow-by-blow account of a fledgling restaurant week (sponsored by Vancouver Tourisn amd Visa) in the Vancouver forum here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...68

and here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...86

And the post-mortem here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...92

That being said, restaurant associations or groups like the Dine Originals can launch some pretty compelling, if not smaller-scale events. I'd encourage you to contact them.

Edited by lizard (log)

Thank you, lizard, for the truly informative post. :smile:

=R=

My pleasure!

By the way, Chicago Tourism tried to launch an effort called "Winter Delights" in 2004 and 2005 that failed miserably. One of the reasons why is because it lasted for 2 months! By the end, even some of the restaurant employees forgot they were participating.

Edited to add: tetsujustin was right - Pellegrino is indeed planning their own events to "backfill" cities that don't have established restaurant weeks (and some that do). Look for "Dine Out Chicago" in August - $20 Lunches, $35 Dinners and a "free" (included) bottle of Pellegrino or Panna. http://www.usadineout.com/

Edited by lizard (log)

By the way, Chicago Tourism tried to launch an effort called "Winter Delights" in 2004 and 2005  that failed miserably.  One of the reasons why is because it lasted for 2 months! By the end, even some of the restaurant employees forgot they were participating.

Edited to add: tetsujustin was right - Pellegrino is indeed planning their own events to "backfill" cities that don't have established restaurant weeks (and some that do).  Look for "Dine Out Chicago" in August - $20 Lunches, $35 Dinners and a "free" (included) bottle of Pellegrino or Panna.  http://www.usadineout.com/

First, here's a link to the Chicago portion of Pellegrino's Dine Out site:

Pellegrino's Dine Out Chicago 2005 (edit: this for the 2005 edition, not 2006)

Winter Delights was also offered this year but it was fairly lackluster. And you're right; it was spread out over way too long a period -- and it wasn't well-promoted or defined either. I ended up finding out about it from a friend who works for AMEX concierge services but never actually saw any promotion about it until that friend directed me to the city's web site.

Thanks again, lizard, for the solid info.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry if this has already been reported elsewhere, but just in case it's been missed:

It seems like my request/wish has been granted. Kansas City Original's have organized a restaurant week - of sorts. See here.

$36 prix fixe dinners:

Monday - Pierpont's, MelBee's, Frondizi's, Bar Natasha, Macaluso's, City Tavern, 40 Sardines

Tuesday - Marina Grog & Galley, V's Italiano Ristorante, The Raphael, Aixois, Café Trio, Café des Amis

Wednesday - Zin, Piropo's, Cafe Maison, R.J.'s Bob-B-Que, Ophelia's, Joe D's, re:Verse

Thursday - Shield's Manor Bistro, Governor's Meeting House, Starker's Reserve, Jardine's, Café Verona

I'll be curious to see whether they offer something other than "pasta, chicken, salmon or beef." Okay, maybe I'm asking too much all at once.

Regardless: Huzzah for KC!! :biggrin:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

yeah, but there is nothing for Saturday night when I could be there. Oh well. I guess I will have to save myself for another day to get up that way.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

yeah, but there is nothing for Saturday night when I could be there.  Oh well.  I guess I will have to save myself for another day to get up that way.

... and I just found out that I'll have to be out of town Tuesday through Saturday of that week! :angry:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm sorry if this has already been reported elsewhere, but just in case it's been missed:

It seems like my request/wish has been granted.  Kansas City Original's have organized a restaurant week - of sorts.  See here.

$36 prix fixe dinners:

Monday - Pierpont's, MelBee's, Frondizi's, Bar Natasha, Macaluso's, City Tavern, 40 Sardines

Tuesday - Marina Grog & Galley, V's Italiano Ristorante, The Raphael, Aixois, Café Trio, Café des Amis

Wednesday - Zin, Piropo's, Cafe Maison, R.J.'s Bob-B-Que, Ophelia's, Joe D's, re:Verse

Thursday - Shield's Manor Bistro, Governor's Meeting House, Starker's Reserve, Jardine's, Café Verona

I'll be curious to see whether they offer something other than "pasta, chicken, salmon or beef."  Okay, maybe I'm asking too much all at once.     

Regardless: Huzzah for KC!!  :biggrin:

u.e.

I will be offering a choices on our menu on the 14th. We are combinding it with our 3 for 34 promotion so it will only be $34 instead of $36. With choices in each course.

It is leading up to the KCPT Childrens Dinner at the Liberty Memorial on Friday and finishing with the KC Origanals Urban Picnic on Sunday Evening at Union Station. It should be a very fun wekend for foodies. Hope to see you all there.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

I will be offering a choices on our menu on the 14th.  We are combinding it with our 3 for 34 promotion so it will only be $34 instead of $36.  With choices in each course. 

It is leading up to the KCPT Childrens Dinner at the Liberty Memorial on Friday and finishing with the KC Origanals Urban Picnic on Sunday Evening at Union Station.  It should be a very fun wekend for foodies.  Hope to see you all there.

For those of me who will be unable to attend the night you're hosting, would be so kind as to post the menu online somewhere - either here or on your website? :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ask and ye shall receive . . . the week of September 11 KC Originals have a variety of activities, special offers and fundraisers scheduled. Get out and support the first KC Originals Week - enjoy some great food and help out some worthy organizations.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Oh, and St. Louis was an obvious NO.

This is an incredibly late response, but if the implication was that St. Louis does not have a Restaurant Week, you would be mistaken as we have had one the last two years. It already came and went in August, however.

http://www.downtownrestaurantweek.net/2006/index.html

And here is my incredibly lateER response . . . UE I hadn't even noticed your posting about restaurant week a week before mine. Duh.

M.F.K. Fisher

Chicago's "Dine Out 2006" begins on Monday September 18. It's sponsored by San Pellegrino and will benefit Share Our Strength.

Here is a listing of participating restaurants:

Chicago

312 Chicago

Allen's New American Cafe

Ballo

Bella Bacino's

Bella Notte

Bistrot Margot

Boka

Brasserie Jo

Café Bernard

Café des Architectes

Café Spiaggia

Club Lucky Restaurant

Coco Pazzo

Coco Pazzo Café

Cyrano's Bistrot Wine Bar & Cabaret

Extra Virgin

Fonda Del Mar

HB A Hearty Boys Spot

Il Covo

La Cantina Enoteca in the Italian Village

Landmark

Leonardo's Ristorante Tuscan Bistro

McCormick & Schmick's

Parlor

Socca

State Restaurant & Café

Tarantino's

The Grill on The Alley

The Park Grill

The Village in the Italian Village

Northern Suburbs

Le Titi De Paris

Oceanique

Va Pensiero

Western Suburbs

18 North

Bistrot Margot

Heaven on Seven

Hemmingway's Bistro

Sweetwater

Tango

Vie

For more information, click here

I hope to hit a few of these places during the 'event' and will report back on the dedicated threads if I do. I hope that anyone else who participates will also report back about their experiences. It seems like a great chance to try some new places -- at a great price -- and also benefit Share Our Strength, a terrific organization.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 4 months later...

Well, it's sort of like a restaurant week...

Announcement in the Freep:

In a word, it's a wow.

The list of 60 restaurants signed on for Detroit's Winter Blast's discount dining program has something for every taste and includes nearly every well-known venue in and around downtown, from Coach Insignia to Coach's Corner.

Promoter Jon Witz, who organized the first-ever Metro PCS Dine in the D promotion, released the list Tuesday, along with other Winter Blast details.

The restaurants range from Mexican eateries and Irish pubs to Greek diners and Italian cafés -- not to mention virtually all the city's high-end, white-tablecloth destinations.

Some of the restaurants are relative newcomers; others have been around for decades.

They'll offer guests discounts ranging from 15% to 30% off meals during the Feb. 8-11 festival.

In some cases, customers must make reservations by Feb. 6, and each guest must bring a coupon from the Winter Blast Web site, www.winterblast.com.

The direct link to the dining page is http://www.winterblast.com/2007/dine.html. Not much information there yet.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 8 months later...

So, last year, I started this thread, and, as moosnsqrl aptly put it, I received - our very own restaurant week here in Kansas City.

Well, apparently, this year's was a flash in the pan, 'cause I missed it. I've been awfully busy lately, so I haven't exactly been keeping my ear to the ground as closely as I usually do, but this year's KC Originals Restaurant week was from September 9-13.

I was OOT for most of that week, so that also explains why I totally missed out. Would love to hear from any members who offered/took advantage of the local Restaurant Week menus.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account