• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Restaurant DOV Experiences

winegeek

Andy,

Yup, it was as good as it sounds.

It was a phenomenal event. 5 courses. Paired wines. One of the top restaurants in Canada. All eGulleters (i think 40). Service (and I never say this lightly), was absolutely first rate. Price: $35 a head (without wine, taxes, grats).

We all sat at different tables in groups of four and ordered separately so we were delivered our courses separately. We were served in different sections by different servers. Lots of mingling, plate sharing, and table hopping.

I guess we will never plan an event like it again here * sigh * which in light of this particular evening seems to border on the criminal! :rolleyes:

But geez, out with a bang!

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Rest assured, we will never plan an event like it again here, which in light of this particular evening seems to border on the criminal! :rolleyes: 

But geez, out with a bang!

Andrew ... is this in reference to the new Events Policy? Cuz if it is, we'll be planning LOTS more events (I hope!) They just need to have some "tweaking" done to them ... but we'll be eating again ... oh yes, we'll be eating!

If it's because you just don't want to join us ... well *niff* :sad: ... you'll be missed dude!

A.

No Arne.

i simply meant i'd miss the discussion and the planning of events on eGullet. :wub: because the West dinner was the last one that got in under the radar. It was how I was introduced to the whole thing and for a while really enriched my day to day, is all.

Now, with the dust settled, it's a different kettle of fish.

BTW, when is the ISO operational?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

It's all pinned up there, if you want to do a meetup or whatnot then you be the guinea pig, Andrew! :raz:

I have so many meals planned for the next two weeks, I will probably have to wrap myself in potato sacks or something as my clothes will stop fitting.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

WOW everyones meal and evening sounds amazing, I wish so much I could have attended, but with all members of the family sick I couldn't seem to sneak off. Hopefully next time though!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

i simply meant i'd miss the discussion and the planning of events on eGullet.  :wub: because the West dinner was the last one that got in under the radar.

I'm sure if you re-read the policy, FAQ and user guide you'll understand that future events will be able to be planned on the forum, as long as they meet the criteria of the policy. Please refer to this thread for the (now closed) discussion of the events policy. Thanks.

Andy, surely you remember how spoiled we are out here! 

I do, but this is something else. I have no wish to bad mouth UK restaurateurs, but I would seriously doubt you would find anyone over here operating at a similar level to David (which probably equates to 2 Michelin stars) who would consider holding a similar event for that sort of money.

I'm right of course to assume that you all gathered around the pass and chanted "We are not worthy, we are not worthy" and then backed out of the restaurant, bowing as you went?

Now I know how all those people who missed the AB dinner felt after reading our posts. Just sitting here having a "pity party" that I missed out on this West event.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Now I know how all those people who missed the AB dinner felt after reading our posts. Just sitting here having a "pity party" that I missed out on this West event.

I'm starting to think we should organize a pity party event for those who had to miss either this one or the AB Big Night. I'd certainly be on board. :cool:

I'm starting to think we should organize a pity party event for those who had to miss either this one or the AB Big Night. I'd certainly be on board. :cool:

Just make sure you do it in the ISO thread! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A.

Here is a mixed bag of my feelings on the subject

Amdy, comparing West to a two-Michelin star...

I find that most europeans restaurants working at that level will use produce that are local and of extreme freshness. There also is a level of dedication (make the best out of what's around you) and professionalism that is hardly matched here. I mean, you'll have 20 or 30 chefs doing 60-80 covers per service. Over here, most will do 3 times as much guests with a crew 3 times smaller...

Because of geography constraints, it is hard, i mean really hard, to get good products. Fish is the biggest issue: Boats go out for weeks and tend to flash-freeze all their catch. Right now, basically all the fish you see on menus are frozen, which does alter the quality of the delicate product. (T&T probably is your best bet right now).

halibut, salmon, scallops, shrimps...

The best food i've had in Van has been coming out of West's kitchen.

But what really strikes me in the city is that we do not have, yet, a truly fantastic restaurant on par with what you could find in the States or in Europe.

There are many skilled and experienced chefs in Vancouver. They could probably do 2 or 3 star food, given that they get out there and seek the best of BC. But they tend to work in restaurants that will do 100 to 200 covers a night... Or they tend to catter to what people want.

One do not go The French Laundry or L'Arpege to eat what they want. They go there to eat someone's cuisine, someone's take on the surrounding terroir, with confidence, excitement and anticipation.

Whatever the chef cooks, they'll have.

I do envy Montreal' s culinary scene. When will we have a event comparable to "Montreal en lumiere". I mean, we can both promote our own backyard AND invite the world to our city.

Why not a festival where top Japanese, Chinese and Aussie chefs (for exple) come here and enlighten us whith their visions?

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

I find that most europeans restaurants working at that level will use produce that are local and of extreme freshness. There also is a level of dedication (make the best out of what's around you) and professionalism that is hardly matched here. I mean, you'll have 20 or 30 chefs doing 60-80 covers per service. Over here, most will do 3 times as much guests with a crew 3 times smaller...

Because of geography constraints, it is hard, i mean really hard, to get good products. Fish is the biggest issue: Boats go out for weeks and tend to flash-freeze all their catch. Right now, basically all the fish you see on menus are frozen, which does alter the quality of the delicate product. (T&T probably is your best bet right now).

halibut, salmon, scallops, shrimps...

The best food i've had in Van has been coming out of West's kitchen.

But what really strikes me in the city is that we do not have, yet, a truly fantastic restaurant on par with what you could find in the States or in Europe.

There are many skilled and experienced chefs in Vancouver. They could probably do 2 or 3 star food, given that they get out there and seek the best of BC. But they tend to work in restaurants that will do 100 to 200 covers a night... Or they tend to catter to what people want.

One do not go The French Laundry or L'Arpege to eat what they want. They go there to eat someone's cuisine, someone's take on the surrounding terroir, with confidence, excitement and anticipation.

Whatever the chef cooks, they'll have.

I do envy Montreal' s culinary scene. When will we have a event comparable to "Montreal en lumiere". I mean, we can both promote our own backyard AND invite the world to our city.

Why not a festival where top Japanese, Chinese and Aussie chefs (for exple) come here and enlighten us whith their visions?

Here is my first attempt at adding a link. I just thought I would add this as I just finished the article and then clicked in here

Michelin Article

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I find that most europeans restaurants working at that level will use produce that are local and of extreme freshness. There also is a level of dedication (make the best out of what's around you) and professionalism that is hardly matched here.

Having interviewed David, I understand the sort of limitations he faces working in Vancouver in terms of supply chain and human resources. That said, I think West is an outstanding establishment, and if the chef were to return to the UK and open a similar place, I believe it would rate 2 stars in the Micheln guide.

I finally had a chance to upload my photos today and you can find them here West

As I have said before, the entire evening was brilliant. I am so glad that so many people made it and no one cancelled. (well, except for 1 family that fell ill, but I had enough notice that I wasn't scrambling, I'm sorry you couldn't make it Danielle and I hope everyone is healthy again. Don't worry, there will be more of these nights.)

Since everyone has said so many wonderful things already, I'm just going to say thank you to Chef Hawksworth, Brian, Jay and the rest of the staff for making it a wonderful night and working their asses off.

I now pass the planning torch.....so, who's planning the next one :laugh::raz:

to add to the west restaurant michelin debate ...

and i say this with the up most respect for mr hawksworth and his brigade , and the food and restaurant scene in vancouver ...

i dont believe that west is a two star restaurant , i think its a great restaurant, in my opinion the best the provence can offer . if we are to compare vancouvers restaurants to european ( michelin graded ) restaurants , which is a futile pastime at best . west would be a well regarded 1 star , ( ducks and hides from mr hawksworth ( sorry chef )) .

i have travelled and worked in europe and experienced some true wonders of gastromony from both sides of the swing doors , michelin starred or other wise.

and i think that there is alot to be gained from these establishments .

but lets get back to where its at , and where we`re at . one thing that i love about north america is that its free from the old school dogma of the michelin system. pleasing customers and satisfying guest is , to me , of paramont importance , not trying to impress some french tyre manufacturers praise or to inflate ones ego in doing so.

tt

• 1 month later...

After resolving some issues with my camera's memory card, I've finally posted my photos from the eGulleter DOV dinner at West in this album. My only complaint is that the pictures uploaded backwards, so you're viewing them from finish to start as opposed to the right way 'round. Oh well.

Though they're long overdue, I hope you enjoy the photos. With all the fallout surrounding DOV hoopla, I thought it'd be nice to reminisce about good meals!

Edited to add some positive DOV sentiment.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

one thing that i love about north america is that its free from the old school dogma of the michelin system. pleasing customers and satisfying guest is , to me , of paramont importance , not trying to impress some french tyre manufacturers praise or to inflate ones ego in doing so.

Check this out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/23/dining/23guid.html

Is it now only a matter of time till your favourite euro rubber makes it to Vancouver to judge West restaurant?

A.

• 10 months later...

We were at West last night and had a wonderful meal! The atmosphere was good, our server was fantastic, I wish I knew her name...tall, slim, short blond hair. My husband was taken with their beautiful wall of wines, etc.

We had resos for 5:15 so it was pretty empty when we arrived but hopping by the time we left.

For appetizers I had COCO BEAN SOUP WITH CHORIZO AND PARSLEY OIL and my husband had WILD SALMON GRAVLAX WITH A OYSTER BEIGNET AND CRÈME FRAICHE DRESSING. The soup was smooth and peppery, I really enjoyed it. My husband said he could have eaten about 10 servings of the salmon and oysters. The oyster was deep fried but not greasy and still tender.

Entrees - we both had ROAST RACK OF PORK WITH NUTMEG GNOCCHI AND QUINCE. It also came on a bed of sweet and sour cabbage. Delicious! The pork was absolutely perfect texture. With the gnocchi a bit salty and the great flavour of the cabbage, all the elements complimented each other well.

Dessert was a hard decision. I would have been happy with sharing one of each but my husband wasn't as excited about the cheesecake so we went with CHOCOLATE SEMOLINA CAKE WITH CINNAMON CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BANANA ICE CREAM and MAPLE ROASTED APPLE WITH BUTTERMILK PAIN PERDU MAPLE WALNUT SAUCE AND APPLE TARRAGON ICE CREAM. I only got a tiny taste of the chocolate cake but it was good. The apple dessert was very good! I'm a major chocolate fan but I would choose the apple dessert again. The apple icecream was a bit tart and offset the sweet apple and sauce very well.

Our table saw at least 5 staff over the course of the evening but we never felt hovered over. Their timing was excellent and we never waited too long for anything. All in all, a very good evening! Will definitely go again.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I had dinner at west tonight, was absolutely fantastic. I had the duck salad, sablefish and chocolate cake. I'll be dreaming about the sablefish for a while! Hubby had coca bean soup, pork and cheesecake. We loved everything. What on earth are coca beans anyways?

What on earth are coca beans anyways?

I think they are the beans typically used in cassoleut...? :unsure:

Yup. Also known as coco white beans, they are the beans customarily used by the French in cassoulet. Navy beans (haricot blanc/pearl haricot) are used as a substitute.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled West DOV fangirliness.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I just got back from an amazing meal at West. I echo the comments of the earlier posters in that the food at West is simply top-notch. I had the Yalumba Y Series Viognier while perusing the menu, and the Hillside Merlot with my pork. Service was attentive and gracious, though I neglected to ask for our server's name.

COCO BEAN SOUP WITH CHORIZO AND PARSLEY OIL

This was my friend's choice, and my pick for the best starter tonight. Rich, earthy flavours...if only I could make this at home! :smile:

soupr.jpg

CRISPY DUCK SALAD WITH WATERCRESS AND RADISHES

I ordered this salad because I noticed it was part of the regular menu. The fat from the duck had been mostly rendered out, leaving a bit of chewiness to the seasoned flesh and crisp skin. The salad (cress, carrot, daikon, bean sprout) was lightly dressed. A very refreshing foil to the rich meat.

duckr.jpg

WILD SALMON GRAVLAX WITH A OYSTER BEIGNET AND CRÈME FRAICHE DRESSING

We got the third appetizer compliments of the kitchen (thank-you, thank-you!) Our server told us about the curing process without any prodding napkin-sniffing questions from yours truly. :wink: The salmon was cured for 12 hours in your standard cure mix (salt, sugar, pepper, etc.), then spent the next 6 hours curing in beetroot for that beautiful jewel-like colour. The salmon spent the last 6 hours under a mixture of lemon balm and mustard seed. This was my friend's favourite appetizer, and a very VERY close second for me.

salmonr.jpg

ROAST RACK OF PORK WITH NUTMEG GNOCCHI AND QUINCE

I drank the Hillside merlot with this dish on a recommendation from our wonderful server and the jamminess from the wine was indeed a wonderful pairing with the intense fruit. The quince compote was deliciously tangy. The pork was cooked to an even medium right from the edge to the center (no easy feat for a humble home cook like me, so needless to say, this was a great treat!) The white vegetable that was with the carrot is called "go bak suen" in Cantonese, but I don't know the English name for it. I believe it's a type of bamboo shoot. The gnocchi were incomparably light, and the subtle spice married beautifully with the autumn flavours on the plate.

porkatwestr.jpg

YUKON GOLD POTATO RAVIOLI WITH BLACK WINTER TRUFFLE BUTTER

My friend got the shaved truffle with his main ($12 dollar supplement, I believe) and we both enjoyed this dish immensely. The creamy sauce envelopes each parcel and the tangle of wild mushrooms (including chantrelles!) underneath was so generous. :wub:

truffler.jpg

MAPLE ROASTED PINK LADY APPLE WITH BUTTERMILK PAIN PERDU MAPLE WALNUT SAUCE AND APPLE TARRAGON ICE CREAM

This was my favourite dessert of the three choices--great height, beautiful colour, nice contrast of temperatures and textures. The flavour of the apple ice-cream added brightness to the plate, and the soft roasted apple and pain perdu harkens back to familiar childhood sweets. A beautiful dessert fit for a blustery Vancouver night.

appler.jpg

VANILLA CHEESECAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR OAT CRUMBLE CRUSHED PINEAPPLE SAUCE AND GRAPEFRUIT ESPUMA

The cheesecake was very creamy and not nearly as dense as the NY versions. I loved how it was delicately flavoured with the sweet acidity from the pineapple and grapefruit. The combination of the cream and fruit lightened the overall taste. Wonderful.

cheesecaker.jpg

CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE WITH CINNAMON CHOCOLATE MOUSSE BANANA ICE CREAM

I ordered the third dessert because I couldn't bear to leave without trying all three. This cake was served on a milk chocolate/crushed cereal base, which I usually really enjoy as a crisp foil to a dessert with a softer mouthfeel. The cake itself was a bit dry and the chocolate and banana flavour didn't come through for me as well as I would have liked. The banana ice-cream, however, was delicious.

bananar.jpg

mignardise (fennel seed and cherry biscotti, sour cherry truffle?) and coffee

I apologize in advance if I these items are described incorrectly...I'm relying on my memory after two glasses wine at this point :blush: The biscotti were wonderful--crisp and not as dry and hard as they are traditionally. The truffles are made with Valrhona. (And no, I did not ask! :raz: )

biscottir.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)