• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do They Eat In Seattle?

My Seattle thoughts are:

wide varieties of oysters, which fleurish in the waters

ivar's---just always makes me smile, since I grew up eating their fish-n-chips

Teriyaki, the pizza of Seattle

Asian influence, found everywhere from Flying Fish to Dahlia Lounge

Vivace coffee, simply the world's best steamed milk in their lattes, must be sipped while shivering at one of the sidewalk tables with umbrellas

crab, which we put our pots out to catch ourselves

geoducks, enormous clams that look like the private parts of a male horse

the smell of mussels on the piers

bread from macrina eaten while still hot

salmon, hardly ever ordered in a restaurant but bought at mutual fish and perfectly grilled at home

corn in very late summer

blackberries covering entire hillsides in july

strawberries that taste like strawberries in june

mushrooms that just soak up all the rain and overcastness

the world's best yellow cherries--literally

clams steamed in beer with bacon and butter

100s of small local wineries, from Vashon to Walla Walla

I could go on....I miss seattle.

I would add pho (pronounced fuh) to the list and second or twentieth mushrooms, oysters, fish, mussels, coffee, and smoked salmon. I would also add lamb prosciutto, because you can't get it anywhere else - it is unique to Salumi, and definitely the wine.

Rocky

Here's Food Network's Seattle Super Bowl eats (I cringed when I first saw the headline, wondering what the FN would include, but I'd be pretty happy at a Super Bowl party eating the following):

Seattle Style "Bouillabaisse"

Grilled Dungeness Crabs with Kicked Up Seasoned Butter

Spaghetti with Crab Sauce: Spaghettini al Sugo Gronchio

Raw Oysters on the Half Shell

Cedar-Planked Salmon with Washington State Merlot Reduction and Garlic Spinach

Hazelnut, Coffee and Chocolate Ice Cream Bombe

The Seattle Superbowl party I am going to go to will be grilled steaks, hamburgers, and hot dogs, the menu above, delicious as it sounds, seems like too much work during a Superbowl I ACTUALLY want to watch.

Who makes the salmon sandwich that you always find at Bumbershoot and other Seattle eating events? That is one of the few salmon sandwiches that I think rock.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Others have made perfect reccos for the food, but only two people have mentioned the wine. That's just one more thing that makes us so very special... :raz:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

The only famous food I can find from Pittsburgh is Heinz. Considering they make my favorite ketchup and steak sauce I will not denegrate them (except during the game).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

You Salumi fans, I'll have it on the line every Saturday and another day to be determined....tell you what....what other day do you want it? Most votes is the second day...

I vote that this be served on the UW campus so I can buy it using my food plan :biggrin: God forbid I should have to spend any of my own money...

I'lll second everything everyone else said. Thai and Teriyaki, though they may not be representative of native Seattle food, are definitely ubiquitious and occasionally good.

ivar's---just always makes me smile, since I grew up eating their fish-n-chips

Oh yeah--ya just gotta mention Ivar's, and its colorful founder and totally Seattle original, Ivar Haglund. "Keep Clam!" :biggrin:

And there's the Blackened Salman Caesar that everyone loves at Bumbershoot, the Bite, and every outdoor event with food stands.

Which reminds me--festival foods at Bumbershoot and Folklife and the like definitely deserve a mention. My personal favorites are the humongous strawberry and blueberry shortcakes from Biringer Farms. And I suppose if we're going to mention these foods, we should also give a shoutout to the scones at the Puyallup Fair (and the associated rite of passage for all newcomers to the Greater Seattle area--learning the correct pronunciation of Puyallup :laugh: ).

Building on the Puyallup issue, Humptulips is not something you do with a Dutch woman up in Lynden, and celebrate afterward at the Dutch Mother's.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I sometimes feel like one of the few natives left in the city. (everyone else left when it became too expensive) I have a couple of books written by a local author that were published in the forties and she talks about food in the book and she writes quite a bit about the seafood that was/is available. She even shared some recipes for clam fritters and clam chowder. Those are two things I grew up eating quite a bit of -that and fish and chips.

It is really all about the clam-digging and harvesting oysters and mussels.

I was even able to change my Mother inlaw's mind about raw oysters. She is English and the last time she touched them was about 1974 in a restaurant somewhere near Canterbury and she thought they were awful. But then English cuisine wasn't exactly at its acme so it is understandable that she might be a bit wary of such things.

Edited by Mrs.Jenner (log)

You Salumi fans, I'll have it on the line every Saturday and another day to be determined....tell you what....what other day do you want it? Most votes is the second day...

I vote that this be served on the UW campus so I can buy it using my food plan :biggrin: God forbid I should have to spend any of my own money...

I'lll second everything everyone else said. Thai and Teriyaki, though they may not be representative of native Seattle food, are definitely ubiquitious and occasionally good.

Oh...Don't Worry...The UW locations will be running it...(When, I dunno, but they'll have it...)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Out of curiousity, I searched for and found the article:

<a href="http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060201/LIVING03/602010302&SearchID=73234452738633">Flavor Super Sunday with themed menus

by Rick McDaniel</a>

Is it just me, or is anyone else strangley curious about the taste of the Primanti Brothers Sandwich? I might have to add that to my Super Bowl Menu.

Is it just me, or is anyone else strangley curious about the taste of the Primanti Brothers Sandwich? I might have to add that to my Super Bowl Menu.

That sandwich is a myocardial infarction waiting to happen! :biggrin:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Believe me, it's all that!

:biggrin:

Out of curiousity, I searched for and found the article:

<a href="http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060201/LIVING03/602010302&SearchID=73234452738633">Flavor Super Sunday with themed menus

by Rick McDaniel</a>

My group has decided (for some unknown reason) a Mexican potluck for Super Bowl Sunday.