• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do They Eat In Pittsburgh?

rickmcdaniel

Greetings, foodies of the Keystone State-

I have been ordered by my editor to put together a food front on the foods of Pittsburgh and Seattle this week to run before the Super Bowl.

In North Carolina, we have pork Barbecue, grits and country ham. Philly has the cheese steak. What are the native foods of Pittsburgh? Please educate this southern boy.

Thanks a heap!

Rick McDaniel

Senior Contributing Writer, Food and Drink

Asheville (NC) Citizen-Times

"In the South, perhaps more than any other region, we go back to our home in dreams and memories, hoping it remains what it was on a lazy, still summer's day twenty years ago."--Willie Morris

Granted someone who lives there should supersede me but when I went to school just outside of the ‘Burgh it seemed to me pirogues were about the only thing I remembered being somewhat indigenous.

Of course Primanti Brothers is perhaps the quintessential Steele City blue collar place to eat, and their signature is putting the fries on the sandwich. I remembered that a hoagie/sub was ALWAYS cooked and while perhaps is was more of a college thing than a southwest PA tradition, I remember most pizza places had “pizza boats” essentially a poor man’s pizza made on French bread rather than pizza dough.

The Big Mac…or was it the Quarter Pounder was invented just down the road from my alma mater in lil' Uniontown, PA. That’s probably 35-40 miles outside of the Burgh.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Primanti Brothers sandwiches, and/or coleslaw plus french fries on any sandwich. Hoagies (Eye-talian only). Chipped ham, chipped ham BBQ. Pirogies, of course. Haluski. Fish fries on Fridays. Pork and sauerkruat? Hot dogs at The O (which may be out of business soon, but which has a sign advertising that Dan Marino has been eating their hot dogs for 35 years). Cheese and meats from Penn Mac.

ROETHLISBURGERS, heh. These vary depending on where you go; at the place near my house, I think they're just bacon double cheeseburgers with pepper jack, but other places have monster sandwiches with ham and eggs and crazy stuff on them.

Pittsburgh is kind of not the best city for food.

Jennie

Some traditional foods associated with the city according to this web site: http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html#pittsburgh

City chicken, cookie tables, Italian wedding soup, & Pittsburgh-style steaks (black on the outside, red on the inside)

True???

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for all the great info, guys. The working title of the page (it may change) is Super Bowl Food: Sushi Versus The Big Sandwich."

Our food stylist is making a copy of a Primanti Brothers sandwich, and we have salmon and sushi for Seattle.

Rick McDaniel

Senior Contributing Writer, Food and Drink

Asheville (NC) Citizen-Times

"In the South, perhaps more than any other region, we go back to our home in dreams and memories, hoping it remains what it was on a lazy, still summer's day twenty years ago."--Willie Morris

Klondike Ice Cream bars (Invented by Islay's)

Islay's Chipped Ham

Clark Bar candy bars

Devonshire sandwiches (open-face chicken or turkey sandwich invented here in Pittsburgh by Frank Blandi in 1936 at his first restaurant, the Stratford in Oakland)

Iron City beer

Pierogis

Parma Sausage

Heinz ketchup

Frizzled Ham Sandwiches

Fried Bologna Sandwiches