• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

C Restaurant

fud

I was actually not planning on reviewing C since I like eating there and I usually don't have much more to say than mmmm. But this time I'd like to mention my experience because it quite frankly blew me away.

We arrived at 7:20 for our 7:30pm reservation. The place looked busy with the weird stand up lean back chair thingies packed full of people. Standing room only. I didn't see Leonard but a very very friendly gentleman with confident cadence came right up to us and asked if we'd like to have a drink. We opted to leave the madness for a walk while the rest of our party arrived.

I should mention here that as I was peering into the window of C I saw a familiar face. Dan! He was one of the professional students at the Northwest Culinary Academy who helped a buch of fellow egulleters during our cooking class (Serious Foodie). Anyways I popped in to say hi but he looked REAL busy (duh - Dineout!). It was nice to see you Dan and Way to Go! C! Wow!

Anyways after our walk we got back to the restaurant at around 7:30 and our table was still not ready (no biggie, our party hadn't fully arrived). We were offered drinks again which was nice and we got a lot of personal attention which I was surprised about considering the madness of the house at that hour.

Two tables for 2 were seated before us (twosomes were churning out of the place faster I guess). When we finally got seated we were given a really great table by the window - well worth the wait.

The waitor was very helpful and attentive. The bread was marvellous. I really like their house bread with seaweed embedded. As a foursome we had the power to have everything they had to offer (pretty much). So I managed to get a tase of:

Porcini Mushroom and Yukon Gold Potato Soup smoked sablefish, creme fraiche, fennel pollen

- I tasted it and got brought back to the parsnip soup with smoked kippers we made in class. Of course this was much richer, darker and full bodied with the amazing aroma of Mushrooms mmm.

Prawn and Leek Ravioli on a seared scallop

- Scallop was delish, the sauce under it was a bit too sweet - I wasn't a fan - the ravioli was pretty good (a bit hard) but the filling was really good.

Roasted Sun Valley Trout butternut squash, dungeness crab, scallion blackstrap molasses gastrique

- I had this last year at Dineout and I can never go wrong. SO GOOD. The fish was just flakey and moiste and the skin was crispy. Complete deboned - it was a lazy eaters paradise. The bed of butternut squash with crab was the pefect consistency (I saw Dan making the squash so maybe I'm biased :biggrin: )

Trumpet Royal Mushroom Risotto sidestripe shrimp, spinach, lemon parmesan broth

- Foam!! I'm such a sucker for things like foam. But the flavour from the foam was so light and yet so complex. There was a LOT going on in the risotto and I was so happy to see that they didn't "cheat" by adding a lot of cream to finish it off. It was creamy but not overpowering. I don't know what else to say. So much going on and it all worked with that zest of lemon. We didn't do the shaved truffels, there was enough going on in there for us.

Grilled 'AAA' Beef Striploin goat cheese gnocchi, parsnip, rapini red wine jus

- Seared on the outside, beautifully pink on the inside, nuff said.

Ginger and Brown Butter Financier caramel, pears, figs

- Pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Ok Actually I managed to do a food review when I really wanted to mention the service. Absolutely above and beyond everything I've experienced in this city ( the other spot I had this kind of service was The Wikininnish).

From arriving at C (mentioned above) to the attentive waitor and even the bread guy and the people refilling water. Perfect. When I wanted another slice of bread, boom the guy was there magically. When I went to the bathroom, my napkin was picked up, folded and placed on the table. When Sandy went, he napkin was replaced with a fresh one (messy girls :biggrin: ).

And the pièce de résistance, the perfectly choreographed waiters in line, fluidly walking around the table and simultaneous placement of the appy's, mains and dessert. Flawless. A 10 for synchronized plate placement. The french judge would probably give a 8.5.

And this. All done DURING DINEOUT VANCOUVER! I sit here speechless now. Did someone mistakenly tip them off that I was the Sultan of some oil rich country?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Thanks for the write-up Wes, but something caught my eye and I must ask...

Trumpet Royal Mushroom Risotto sidestripe shrimp, spinach, lemon parmesan broth

- Foam!!  I'm such a sucker for things like foam.  But the flavour from the foam was so light and yet so complex.  There was a LOT going on in the risotto and I was so happy to see that they didn't "cheat" by adding a lot of cream to finish it off.  It was creamy but not overpowering.  I don't know what else to say.  So much going on and it all worked with that zest of lemon.  We didn't do the shaved truffels, there was enough going on in there for us.

Did I just read that you turned down shaved truffles?!?

PS: Congrats to Dan the Man! A stage at C, nicely done.

Thanks for the write-up Wes, but something caught my eye and I must ask...

<snip>

Did I just read that you turned down shaved truffles?!?

PS: Congrats to Dan the Man! A stage at C, nicely done.

Hey it's not like I turned down duck fat! :raz: But actually it was mostly because I wasn't the one ordering the risotto therefore I was not given the pleasure to actually make that call.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Roasted Sun Valley Trout butternut squash, dungeness crab, scallion blackstrap molasses gastrique

- I had this last year at Dineout and I can never go wrong.  SO GOOD.  The fish was just flakey and moiste and the skin was crispy.  Complete deboned - it was a lazy eaters paradise.  The bed of butternut squash with crab was the pefect consistency (I saw Dan making the squash so maybe I'm biased  :biggrin: )

I had this dish last year at C during Dineout as well, but I find the trout at La Regalade way WAY better. My trout at C was a bit overcooked, & they left 5 or 6 little bones in the fish (I hate having to move food around in my mouth to feel for bones). The skin wasn't crispy enough for me, either... Maybe they were having an off night with the trout? My friend's trout also seemed a bit overcooked that night.

The trout at La Regalade, on the other hand... Moist, just cooked to perfection, in a light lemon butter sauce, with the skin sitting atop the fish in a neat little roll.

Well, my hope that good service and good food is possible during DOV has been realised! I had an absolutely phenomenal meal at C tonight - I'm still reliving the meal even as I type this review.

First of all, the food was sublime. It was not only the best DOV meal I've had, but one of the best meals I've had in quite some time. The service was impeccable from the hostess who took our coats, to our server Ken, to the many other staff who attended to our needs. Everything was seamless and I left floating on a happy cloud of excellent food, great ambiance, and gracious attention to detail.

I won't go into great length about each of the dishes since earlier reviews have already elaborated on them. Although I have to say that I savoured each of the courses. I was also incredibly impressed that my striploin was cooked to perfection. For once, someone knew how to cook (or in my case, uncook) a cut of beef. Overall, I was wowed by the experience.

Edited by tarteausucre (log)

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Just a quick question.

You go to one of the best seafood restaurants in the country, with a fantastic view of the water. Your meal is cooked by a team led by a couple of the most forward thinking seafood chefs in the country, driving sustainablilty and fresh locally sourced product into our heads, Rob and Rob are huge Oceanwise supporters, trying to get other chefs to follow suit etc. You look in the kitchen and there are bins of fresh oysters and clams, mussels and lobsters...................................

and

you order steak.

Why ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

^ Neil,

Perhaps they are the new Swimming Cows? :biggrin:

Actually what better way to be ocean wise than to eat something from the land! But seriously tho tarteausucre, go back and try the seafood it really is amazing (unless of course you're allergic).

My wife and I went the other night and had a wonderful meal. We went all out (adding the shaved truffles and lobster to the risotto, and an order of foie gras - an impressive portion served on a toasted brioche). The meal was excellent, but what blew my wife and I away was the bread that accompanied it. I rarely eat the bread as I'm usually saving myself for main event (and quite a main event it was on this night), but after hearing my wife oooh and aaah, I had to try some. Three delicious selections baked right on the premises (I made a point of asking). Next time, I'm just going to make a meal of the nori scone.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

If I eat seafood at C, what am I going to eat at Gotham and Memphis? :) Seriously though, I'll make sure I have many more opportunities to take advantage of the sea at C.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

We had a fabulous meal at C last night: food was the best I've had at DOV so far, and the service was seamless and well-choreographed, as amply described by the previous posts.

All the food was delicious, and A's trout was cooked to perfection, with no bones.

I had the risotto but passed on the truffles - what was I thinking? - and also appreciated the blend of flavours and consistency.

Desserts were also good,but the ginger and brown butter financier would have benefitted from the extra side of ice cream.

Only minor, minor gripe were the portion sizes, as I was nowhere near full. But the quality of food and cooking were standouts for the prices.

Interestingly, they are having a sale on the gift certificates too during Dine Out.

If I can accurately recall they are selling at 40% off i.e. purchase $100 worth for $60. Definitely an incentive to go again soon. :biggrin:

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

I had the risotto but passed on the truffles - what was I thinking?

Apparently we're both nuts.

Interestingly, they are having a sale on the gift certificates too during Dine Out.

If I can accurately recall they are selling at 40% off i.e. purchase $100 worth for $60. Definitely an incentive to go again soon. :biggrin:

Just remember to read the fine print. The gift certs are not usable on friday/saturday. Regardless still a really good deal and well worth not going during the busy times of the week!

^^ooh, thanks for that reminder about the gift certs! we saw that when we were there a couple of weeks ago and commented that we should stock up. :laugh:

just wanted to also add that so far, during this dov, c was our favourite, hands down. i loved watching the service in the room. such a well oiled machine!

Quentina

just wanted to also add that so far, during this dov, c was our favourite, hands down.  i loved watching the service in the room.  such a well oiled machine!

You are pretty observant. C consulted with Ballet BC to improve their service and acheive that "well oiled machine" you experienced. Here's a quote from their news release:

Believing that space and movement are equally important to dance and restaurant service, C restaurant worked with Ballet BC to coordinate the delivery of diners meals, clearing of the tables and the idea of table service as an understated performance. Guests have noticed the difference, asking, “What do you call this type of service?” With well coordinated delivery of meals, diners at once notice the difference at C. Plates are delivered together, cleared together and “customer space” is well respected.

Cheers,

Anne

just wanted to also add that so far, during this dov, c was our favourite, hands down.  i loved watching the service in the room.  such a well oiled machine!

You are pretty observant. C consulted with Ballet BC to improve their service and acheive that "well oiled machine" you experienced. Here's a quote from their news release:

Believing that space and movement are equally important to dance and restaurant service, C restaurant worked with Ballet BC to coordinate the delivery of diners meals, clearing of the tables and the idea of table service as an understated performance. Guests have noticed the difference, asking, “What do you call this type of service?” With well coordinated delivery of meals, diners at once notice the difference at C. Plates are delivered together, cleared together and “customer space” is well respected.

very impressive indeed. i did notice that dishes were served at the same time regardless of size of table. also, there was probaly never more than a minute after finishing my dish that it was cleared away. although the room was packed, i never felt overwhelmed. i also noticed that they (the servers) all helped each other out and worked the whole room. also, the hostesses and host up front were friendly and very welcoming. never once did i feel like i was in a snooty room.

Quentina

very impressive indeed. i did notice that dishes were served at the same time regardless of size of table. also, there was probaly never more than a minute after finishing my dish that it was cleared away. although the room was packed, i never felt overwhelmed. i also noticed that they (the servers) all helped each other out and worked the whole room. also, the hostesses and host up front were friendly and very welcoming. never once did i feel like i was in a snooty room.

Elizabeth

I went to C Restaurant tonight, reservations courtesy of OpenTable. I liked how someone from C actually called me to ask for confirmation, made me feel more relaxed that the reservations did in fact go through. :biggrin:

I'm addicted to the nori scone bread they had. If I had my way, there would be a big basket of it right at my table. The other breads were ok but nothing special.

IMG_0225.jpg

I didn't drink any alcohol because I'm taking medication that I can't mix with alcohol soooooo instead I had one of thier non-alcoholic ones, I think it was called something breeze? or wave? Can't remember. It looked like this though.

IMG_0226.jpg

For appys, I chose the Ultra Rare Albacore Tuna Loin fresh coriander, crispy 'sauce'. My friend had the Porcini Mushroom and Yukon Gold Potato Soup smoked sablefish, creme fraiche, fennel pollen. I really enjoyed the albacore tuna, it went very well with the crispy "sauce". The soup on the otherhand, I wasn't too fond of. It was too mushroomy ( I do love mushrooms though) which is odd since I do like mushrooms.. maybe just not in soup. The soup didn't look so appetizing either. :raz:

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Since I was feening for oysters my friend and I also shared 6 oysters. These weren't so great (maybe because I had just gone to Joe Fortes less than a week ago and had some AWESOME, ORGASMIC INDUCING oysters. Well you get the picture.

IMG_0241.jpg

For the mains, I had the Trumpet Royal Mushroom Risotto sidestripe shrimp, spinach, lemon parmesan broth with the additional truffles. I didn't pass that up, while my friend had the Roasted Sun Valley Trout butternut squash, dungeness crab, scallion blackstrap molasses gastrique. How shall I describe the risotto? Wonderful? I am always iffy about trying risotto because very few places can cook it the way I like. The grains weren't soggy nor very hard, just perfect. The shrimp and lemon broth were simply delicious. I also loved the trout too. It was very light and smooth going down, very sweet. None of the "fish" taste that I was afraid would be present. Both the mains passed with flying colors.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

And then we have dessert, my favorite part of any meal (usually). I chose the Milk Chocolate and Cinnamon Mousse Cake white chocolate ice cream, dried cherry and my friend had the other option, Ginger and Brown Butter Financier caramel, pears, figs. My dessert was a perfect finale for my meal, not too rich just heavy enough to give me that satisfied full feeling. I would have liked another scoop of the white chocolate ice cream. Haha. :raz: I wasn't too fond of the other dessert though, I could taste ginger and I don't like ginger maybe thats why. :rolleyes:

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Overall, it was a pleasant dining experience. Servers were quick and efficient, a very good first impression for me. I'm still quite disappointed about those oysters though, aside from that good job C Restaurant. No snotty attitude from a restaurant I expected see a lot of said attitude.

Thanks for the pics Julixer!

Reminds me of the dinner we had. As for the Ballet BC thing...NO WONDER! I don't recall it being like that last time! Wow. Way to go. That is something a 'little different' for sure. So I guess I'm not a sultan afterall :biggrin:

I checked the expiry date and terms of use for the gift certificates: they can be purchased at the discounted price of 40% off until February 9th and are valid from Sunday to Thursday until April 30th. Time to stock up! :smile:

Elizabeth