• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

one bad apple (grape)

Wiener

I am new here on the wine forum and hope someone can answer a question. I bought a case of Rose de Regali (2004) from Sicily because I enjoyed it so much in a restaurant last summer. I find that it has many of the enjoyable light aspects of a rose with a light tendancy toward a light red wine. I've enjoyed about half of the case and came across a bottle last week that tasted "off" a bit watery. When you buy a case of wine, aren't they usually consistant? I am sure there are several factors that cause the change but I wonder if the rest of the case will be "off"...thanks for any feedback....

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

There is always a chance of having one bottle that is off. Depending on the wine or the region or the type of cork used, it could be more than one. I'm never surprised when I have a "corked" bottle (that musty smell and taste). Watery sounds like it could be a cork issue. I certainly wouldn't expect the rest of the bottles to be blown.

I would not be too concerned. Wine is a living thing so it could have been comtaminated by a dirty bottle, cork, or seal issue. Unfortunately one in twelve is not a bad ratio for wine spoilage. The wine by the way is pretty tasty. Enjoy :biggrin:

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I am new here on the wine forum and hope someone can answer a question.  I bought a case of Rose de Regali  (2004) from Sicily because I enjoyed it so much in a restaurant last summer. I find that it has many of the enjoyable light aspects of a rose  with a light tendancy toward a light red wine.  I've enjoyed about half of the case and came across a bottle last week that tasted  "off"  a bit watery.  When you buy a case of wine, aren't they usually consistant?  I am sure there are several factors that cause the change but I wonder if the rest of the case will be "off"...thanks for any feedback....

I have encountered this a few times.

The most striking example was the 1976 BV-Georges de Latour Cabernet.

I bought a case when this wine was about ten years old.

There was quite a bit of variation from bottle to bottle.

None was bad-but the range was from good to exellent.

Some people whose opinions I respect-noted they had similar experiences with this wine.

Bottle variation is probably more prevalent than the industry lets on or realizes.