• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Darcie B - Bakin' with bacon

Darcie B

I love the primer on the bagels.  Since there are only 2 of you, do you freeze the baked bagels or just bring them to work?  There are only 2 of us plus a kitty as well so I don't bake so much due to fear of waste.

I usually take them to work or give them to friends. I am always taking stuff in to work, and my co-workers often take me out to lunch in return.

Your potatoe, sausage and kale soup looks fabulous.  What herbs do you use in it?  I saw bay but the rest looked like a heap in the center and I couldn't distinguish anything.

I used a bay leaf, some dried oregano, a pinch of basil, plus salt and pepper. The Italian sausage adds a lot of the flavor.

What cake have you decided on????  Have you made any cakes covered with fondant and the "fancy" designing?  Is it on THE LIST?  (I'm sure we all have those lists!!)

I haven't made a decision yet. I will probably make two cakes on Saturday, and will make my final decision tomorrow. There are so many good choices!

I am going to post a photo of a fondant-covered wedding cake I made at Thanksgiving as soon as I can find it. It didn't turn out as well as my first one, which I will post a photo of tomorrow (it's at work).

OK, here is the wedding cake I did for a friend's sister. It was almost a disaster as the buttercream under the fondant slumped. If you got close you could see the lumps (I dubbed it Frankencake).

gallery_28660_2436_48342.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the comment on the hands :blushing:. It's weird to see them on the monitor, and the flash made my fingers look really red.

I'm just glad that my fingernails were relatively clean.

Edit to add photo.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Happy Birthday To You!  Nice bagels, too.  I've never seen the "float test" method, nor the baking soda in the water, but I only got that particular book recently.  Now I've got to try that recipe.  Were the bagels pretty crowded in the pan, or is that a photo-illusion?

I happen to love Texas sheet cake, myself.  It's so lowbrow, and so delicious and easy.  What birthday cake have you decided on?  And what the heck is cappucino punch?

The bagels were pretty crowded, but I was too lazy to do three batches instead of two. It would have been better had I done so, but they still turned out okay.

Cappucino punch:

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup instant coffee granules (or 3 tbsp. instant espresso)

1 cup boiling water

2 quarts milk

1 carton vanilla ice cream

1 carton chocolate ice cream

Mix the first three ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, pour coffee mixture into punch bowl along with milk. Scoop out ice cream on top and stir until melted.

It was actually pretty tasty, and the consensus was it would be really good with some Kahlua and vodka added!

(I'm doing this recipe from memory - I left it at work where my coworker gave it to me...if it's wrong I'll edit it tomorrow a.m.)

Edited because I was wrong about the recipe. So much for trusting my memory :wacko:

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Thanks for the kitty pics! They are all adorable. Callie looks suspicously like a slighly (?) psycho calico I had years ago. She would just attack my hands or legs with no reason. After the second trip to the ER with nasty, infected cat bites, she was relocated to a farm where she could live out her days as a barn cat. :sad:

Hope Callie is better behaved!

(The vet did say calicos are known for mental/behavioral issues.)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Thanks for the kitty pics!  They are all adorable.  Callie looks suspicously like a slighly (?) psycho calico I had years ago.  She would just attack my hands or legs with no reason.  After the second trip to the ER with nasty, infected cat bites, she was relocated to a farm where she could live out her days as a barn cat.  :sad:

Hope Callie is better behaved!

(The vet did say calicos are known for mental/behavioral issues.)

Callie is a reformed biter. She was on her way to the vet to be put down when my DH intercepted her (it was his friend's mom's cat). It has taken three years of work, but now she allows us to pick her up and pet her. She actually purrs sometimes. The former owners had her declawed front and rear, so no danger there.

She does pick on the oldest cat a lot, though. :sad:

The former owners had her declawed front and rear, so no danger there.

That's probably why she became a biter...

I loved your bagel pictures, but they made me so jealous! Would you ever suggest making the dough by hand, or is a mixer absolutely necessary. I don't have a stand mixer, and am not likely to get one while living in Japan, but I want a decent bagel!!!

Great bagel and cat photos! I'm so sorry about the loss of your oldest. I lost one of mine last month, and I know how hard it is.

I think that Peter Reinhart bagel recipe is one of the best I've tried so far - so great and chewy! Though I think I skip the float test (if I recall correctly). Have you tried any other bagel recipes, and how did you come to find this one and settle on it?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I just started reading your blog yesterday, Darcie, and I was inspired to make sweet stuff with bacon, after 6 months of urging by my chef and stout resistance by ME! So last night's pre-dessert was the bacon spice cookies (also with cardomom, no cloves), topped with bacon ganache (8 oz. 58%chocolate, 8 oz. heavy cream and one fat tablespoon bacon grease), topped with bacon toffee. My lead pastry cook and I ate one each and said, "Hmmmmmm... I don't hate it, but..." but the line cooks all loved it. The Chef said it was yummy, but would have been better with Benton's Bacon, a bacon a guy in Georgia makes that we feature prominently in the savory menu. I'm thinking about making it a full-fledged dessert on our rotating menu, but I think I'll tone down the bacon-ness first. One of the line cooks promised to take my leftover toffee and grind it up to put over my foie gras course when I come in for dinner on Monday night. Can't wait!

Thanks for a great, inspiring blog! Maybe I'll try bagels next! Maybe with BACON!

Darcie,

Oh how I wish I hadn't missed the start of your blog. We share the same birthday! The day and the year and I was born in North Dakota! Very cool, to meet you.

Your pictures are great and you have me in a bagel making mood now, although it's far too hot here.

Looking forward to seeing your choice for the cake. BTW, doesn't everyone make their own cake? I'd like to second Zucchini Mama's suggestion for candied blood orange peel with chocolate if it's not too late.

Happy Birthday!!!

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

The former owners had her declawed front and rear, so no danger there.

That's probably why she became a biter...

I loved your bagel pictures, but they made me so jealous! Would you ever suggest making the dough by hand, or is a mixer absolutely necessary. I don't have a stand mixer, and am not likely to get one while living in Japan, but I want a decent bagel!!!

While this dough will give you a workout, it is quite doable by hand. In fact, the recipe gives instructions for both hand and machine mixing. You just have to knead the dough longer (about 10 minutes vs. 6). The dough is just so stiff that I wouldn't use a wimpy mixer with it because you could damage the mixer. I have some pretty bad carpal tunnel issues so hand kneading is just right out for me. You can really develop a better feel for the dough when you hand knead, so I say go for it!

When I get home tonight I will post the recipe along with my shorthand for the instructions, which should avoid any copyright issues.

Darcie,

Oh how I wish I hadn't missed the start of your blog.  We share the same birthday!  The day and the year and I was born in North Dakota!  Very cool, to meet you.

Your pictures are great and you have me in a bagel making mood now, although it's far too hot here.

Looking forward to seeing your choice for the cake.  BTW, doesn't everyone make their own cake?  I'd like to second Zucchini Mama's suggestion for candied blood orange peel with chocolate if it's not too late.

Happy Birthday!!!

Wow! It's a small world after all! Happy Birthday right back at ya! I can't believe there is someone who shares my exact birthday, AND was born in N.D., AND is an eG member...that is just freaky.

Blood oranges will definitely make an appearance, but might not be as part of a cake. The creaky, cobwebbed cogs in my brain are still turning on the final decision, but I am leaning toward a three-part birthday baking extravaganza (more later).

I think that Peter Reinhart bagel recipe is one of the best I've tried so far - so great and chewy! Though I think I skip the float test (if I recall correctly). Have you tried any other bagel recipes, and how did you come to find this one and settle on it?

I tried the King Arthur Flour bagel recipe that came on the bag of Sir Lancelot, and they were pretty good. Then I got the Bread Baker's Apprentice based on favorable reviews of friends, tried this recipe, and haven't looked back. I see no need to try another recipe!

I agree that the float test is not an essential step. While I have noticed a *very* subtle difference when the bagels "passed" the test, it doesn't make that much difference. Just proof them for about half an hour, more if it's really cold, then pop them in the fridge for the overnight retarding.

Sorry to hear about your cat. We still miss our old boy.

I just started reading your blog yesterday, Darcie, and I was inspired to make sweet stuff with bacon, after 6 months of urging by my chef and stout resistance by ME!  So last night's pre-dessert was the bacon spice cookies (also with cardomom, no cloves), topped with bacon ganache (8 oz. 58%chocolate, 8 oz. heavy cream and one fat tablespoon bacon grease), topped with bacon toffee.  My lead pastry cook and I ate one each and said, "Hmmmmmm... I don't hate it, but..."  but the line cooks all loved it.  The Chef said it was yummy, but would have been better with Benton's Bacon, a bacon a guy in Georgia makes that we feature prominently in the savory menu.  I'm thinking about making it a full-fledged dessert on our rotating menu, but I think I'll tone down the bacon-ness first.  One of the line cooks promised to take my leftover toffee and grind it up to put over my foie gras course when I come in for dinner on Monday night.  Can't wait! 

Thanks for a great, inspiring blog!  Maybe I'll try bagels next!  Maybe with BACON!

Wow - I have never inspired a dish at a restaurant before - this will make me all big-headed like Giada! The bacon ganache sounds great.

I'm actually with you on the cookies. While I thought they were good, I didn't like them as much as my friends and coworkers, who nearly inhaled them.

I must try bacon toffee...and I'm jealous that you get to eat fois gras on Monday. That's an indulgence I have only had once. Hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

Last night my husband, a dear friend, and I went out to the newest Mexican restaurant to celebrate my birthday.

Have to start off a celebration right:

gallery_28660_2436_42143.jpg

(I don't like salt on my margaritas - I know, I'm a blasphemer).

The menu was pretty typical of what you see in Mexican restaurants around here. You are not going to see tripe, lingua or such in this area. However, they did have carnitas, which are my DH's favorite, so he ordered those.

gallery_28660_2436_89446.jpg

They were downright tasty. My DH loves me so much he let me have all the really crispy bits!

I ordered the Tacquitos Mexicanos. The steak tacquitos were great - the chicken tacquitos were merely good.

gallery_28660_2436_46862.jpg

All in all, the food was much better than average, while not as good as, say, Frontera Grill. But the food was a durn sight cheaper than Frontera - a pitcher of margaritas and three meals were only $40 (not including tip). (I spent nearly $200 for my meal at Frontera in Chicago as part of a group - there were some issues with refilling half empty margaritas and charging full price - I was none too pleased to realize this when I sobered up.)

The restaurant is located in an old Shoney's location. Those from the upper South may know about Shoney's, which started right here in Charleston WV. Sadly, the quality of Shoney's restaurants, while never great, has declined precipitously in recent years.

gallery_28660_2436_10820.jpg

(Edit to add interior shot)

Edited by Darcie B (log)

For breakfast we had (surprise!) bagels...

gallery_28660_2436_48505.jpg

The bacon I used is from Aldi. For those who are not familiar with Aldi, they are a low-cost chain that does very little advertising and sells only their name-branded items (with a very few exceptions). While I won't buy much meat there, they have good deals on some items like masa harina, ziploc-type baggies, and peppered bacon:

gallery_28660_2436_23695.jpg

1.5 pounds for $4.

Later today, I will take you to a couple of markets in the area.

Your homemade bagels are an inspiration. I actually am placing an order at King Arthurs in the near future (was planning on doing it yesterday and never got around to it) so I am going to add the Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour on the order.

How much baking soda did you add to the boiling water?

Thanks, and happy birthday...

Sharon

Doing this foodblog has made me want to be a better writer. I look back over my posts and wish they had the wit and eloquence of bloggers that preceded me. It's hard for me to express the wonder, delight, and joy I find in eating and creating delicious food. *sigh*

As promised, today I am taking you to some of the local markets. The first stop is the largest farmer's market, Capitol Market. The Capitol Market resides in a former commercial train depot. The move to its current location, which has both indoor and outdoor spaces, sparked controversy. It was formerly located underneath an elevated interstate highway, had only outdoor locations, and was quite crowded. However, the rent was minimal and the move to the new location ousted some of the most longstanding vendors. The controversy has now faded and the market is thriving.

Here is the outdoor portion. Of course, since it is January, it is empty. It fills to capacity beginning in early March.

gallery_28660_2436_83029.jpg

Inside, the first vendor is The Purple Onion. They have produce, lots of fresh dried beans, and many dried fruits and other sundry goods.

gallery_28660_2436_1772.jpg

gallery_28660_2436_152524.jpg

gallery_28660_2436_127311.jpg

They even have BACON dressing!

gallery_28660_2436_55957.jpg

There is a little shop that has all West Virginia-made products.

gallery_28660_2436_152516.jpg

Some of you were asking about regional specialties. One of the most unique, in my opinion, is chow chow. It's a pickled mix of summer vegetables, mostly corn, onions and peppers.

gallery_28660_2436_88947.jpg

Further along the way is a very small seafood market (I couldn't get a good picture because there were too many folks getting lunch). I don't think it is that great (picture scallops sitting in a milky liquid :sad:. There are two decent seafood places and of course Kroger. I just don't trust fresh seafood places that are days away from the ocean. Of course they say they get deliveries every day by plane, but my neighbor works at the airport and she says they are lying.

Across from the seafood place is my favorite place: Holl's Chocolates. I have had some mighty fine chocolates, including Scharffen Berger, Michel Cluizel, Norman Love, and I say these guys rank right up there. They are based in Vienna (WV), and the founder is a Swiss immigrant. Delightful!

gallery_28660_2436_15872.jpg

gallery_28660_2436_23838.jpg

There is a coffee place that roasts its own beans, then Johnnie's Meat Market. Probably some of the best meat in town, but still, they don't have beef short ribs. What's a girl gotta do to get those things? (Actually, I think I can get them at Kroger but I believe it's by special order :angry: )

gallery_28660_2436_74002.jpg

Near the end is the Wine Shop, run by some friend's of my bosses, and staffed with mostly pleasant folks interspersed with snobs. After three requests I finally got on their email list so I could learn about new releases and wine tastings, but it is quite obvious that the regulars are not interested in having someone from the "working class" rubbing elbows with them. It is their loss, because when my vehicle was paid off I had $350/month that I WAS going to spend on wine to build a cellar. (Good thing I'm not bitter... :hmmm: ) Instead I am using the money to help my husband start a business.

gallery_28660_2436_154437.jpg

They actually have a pretty good cheese selection:

gallery_28660_2436_13252.jpg

Finally, at the end is Soho's Restaurant. Now I am sure some New York folks might want to chime in about the name, but it is actually named for the owner, Bill Sohovich. It's decent Italian food (check out the dinner menu).

Edited to fix photo.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Your homemade bagels are an inspiration. I actually am placing an order at King Arthurs in the near future (was planning on doing it yesterday and never got around to it) so I am going to add the Sir Lancelot High Gluten Flour on the order.

How much baking soda did you add to the boiling water?

Thanks, and happy birthday...

Sharon

About 1 tablespoon of soda was added to the water. You are going to love your bagels.

And now for Charleston's take on "gourmet." This little place is called Bistro Gourmet, and is a sister operation to the restaurant Bridge Road Bistro, which I hear is good but overpriced.

Beer and other chilled beverages:

gallery_28660_2436_163389.jpg

Wine:

gallery_28660_2436_14889.jpg

Chocolates:

gallery_28660_2436_58829.jpg

Cheese:

gallery_28660_2436_110328.jpg

Beer, wine, chocolate, cheese: what else do you need? They also have a deli (mostly Boar's Head products), and they make fresh sandwiches, salads and such. They have coffee and tea products too. I ended up getting a mixed 4 pack of beer (some Belgian Ale to make carbonnade and a couple of dark German biers) and a Scharffen Berger Nibby Bar.

For some more authentic local culture, we have the Valley Bell Dairy. This place has been kicking for over 50 years. In fact, I got into a discussion with a woman in line who remembered her grandmother taking her there when she was little, about 45 years ago. They are known for their hand-dipped milkshakes. The lunch counter is a little building attached to a large dairy (as in the trucks come in and dump the milk, not as in there are cows outside).

The inlay on the terrazzo:

gallery_28660_2436_27748.jpg

Inside:

gallery_28660_2436_111183.jpg

My lunch:

gallery_28660_2436_87758.jpg

Now, I can't mention this place without also mentioning Chris' Hot Dogs, another venerable institution, and the Blossom Deli, which while now operating as a lunch and dinner place, has kept all the 1950s decor complete with milkshake machines. I'll see if I can get photos of those later.

Edit to add: This note highlights one of the reasons I like living here. The Valley Bell logo in the terrazzo floor was covered by shadows from the door. I asked two women if they would help me with a strange request. I asked them to hold the door open for me so I could take a picture of the floor. Despite thinking I must be a lunatic, they agreed, and after I took the photo we had a great discussion about architectural details in older buildings. Most people here are genuinely pleasant and helpful.

Edited again because I can't write. :shock:

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Now I must briefly rant. My boss, while in general being a nice guy, has his moments where I want to get behind him. On the edge of a cliff. Anyway, this morning he brought me a nice bottle of wine as a belated birthday present:

gallery_28660_2436_4803.jpg

Now, before all of you go wishing you had a boss like him, let me explain what I discovered shortly thereafter. I went into the kitchen to have a snack, and noticed that there were still some Oreos. I remember my boss saying peanut butter on Oreos was really good and hey, I'll try anything once, so I opened *my* jar of peanut butter only to find that my boss dragged his Oreos through the peanut butter. Couldn't he use a spoon that was lying only inches away? And if he was going to soil the peanut butter with his crumbs (and probably germs; he's a double dipper), why didn't he use *his* peanut butter? Yeah, I know it's not the end of the world, but it's the little things...

Also, yesterday he got mad and chewed out my co-workers for throwing the little birthday celebration with cake and ice cream - he doesn't like it when I am away from my desk (I was gone for maybe 15 minutes).

Maybe the wine was an apology.

There, glad to get that off my chest. Like I said, generally he's pretty good...

Doing this foodblog has made me want to be a better writer. I look back over my posts and wish they had the wit and eloquence of bloggers that preceded me. It's hard for me to express the wonder, delight, and joy I find in eating and creating delicious food. *sigh*

You're doing just fine.. your pictures are beautiful, your words are delightful and your bagels are inspirational!

I've spent a lot of time in N.D. myself. Living in Winnipeg and going to University 20 minutes east of Grand Forks (Crookston,MN), I'm there several times a year. Did you find the food... somewhat lacking in ND?

edited to wish you a happy birthday!

Edited by Pam R (log)

Dear Birthday Girl,

You rock! I have been thoroughly enjoying your blog, and your verite style of writing. You're an amzing home cook, and I am truly impressed by your work ethic, too.

Plus, that link to the news from your hometown (Ice, ice, BABY! :laugh: ) coupled with your take on the world around you, it's all been wonderful to experience! Now, please, tell us what the birthday cakes will be!!!!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Happy Birthday (belated. :embarrassed:)

Pepper bacon <pause to mop chin>........ yummmmmmmmmm!

What's that on the other half of your bagel?

And the suspense is killing - what is the birthday baking extravaganza going to feature?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Did you find the food... somewhat lacking in ND?

ummm,yeah....it's all pale, overcooked and underspiced. When I was growing up, the most exotic thing I ate was La Choy chicken chow mein. :shock:

When my husband and I were home for Christmas, my mom made a small turkey breast. She wanted to cook it for 3 hours at 350 degrees, "so it would be tender." Bless her heart...

Happy Birthday (belated.  :embarrassed:)

Pepper bacon <pause to mop chin>........ yummmmmmmmmm!

What's that on the other half of your bagel?

And the suspense is killing - what is the birthday baking extravaganza going to feature?

The other half of the pepper bacon/egg bagel was colby cheese. The other bagel had honey-walnut cream cheese.