• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Darcie B - Bakin' with bacon

Darcie B

I'm thinking this looks like taro root.  Just a guess. 

And you KNOW Applebee's has to qualify it's definition of "delicious" otherwise they could get sued for false advertizing.  :raz:

That's what I was thinking too. I haven't a clue what to do with it, though...

Put that mighty fine deep fryer to work with the taro root. Taro chips are delish. Slice paper thin on a mandoline and fry away. The ones I've had are from the Terra Chips brand and are super crunchy. They also dye some of them red ( I think with beets) and they are pretty but don't taste different than the plain ones.

This morning I decided I needed coconut cake for breakfast. Cake has eggs, right? And flour, and milk.....so it must be a good way to start the day... :biggrin:

Darcie,

A girl after my own heart :cool:

Just coming out of "lurkdom" to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheryl

When I was trying to decide which cookies to make for the meeting at work, Zucchini Mama suggested Cottage Cheese Crescents. That idea had been rolling around in the back of my head for a couple of days, and I noticed I had some ricotta cheese to be used, so I decided to make something similar, Ricotta Cookies. I found a recipe on recipesource.com, and proceeded to make substitutions and other changes (I find it nearly impossible to make a recipe as written. It's a stubborn character flaw.) :rolleyes:

The cookies came out very soft and delicate with an interesting flavor. It reminded my husband and me of something, but we can't figure out what. Here's what they looked like:

gallery_28660_2436_68581.jpg

gallery_28660_2436_44223.jpg

I'll post the recipe in RecipeGullet if anyone is interested. Or you can just search for Ricotta Cookie on recipesource and substitute lemon zest and juice from one lemon for the lemon extract, and decrease the soda by 1/4 tsp.

You know, I always find that any cookie with dairy and a touch of lemon reminds me of those huge "black and white" cookies... and I finally got a recipe for them, lo, there's a tiny smidge of lemon in the recipe! Could that be it, Darcie?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

and these in the middle:

gallery_28660_2436_79018.jpg

"It's not just delicious, it's Applebee's delicious." :hmmm:

I'm thinking this looks like taro root. Just a guess.

The green spiky vegetables are indeed bitter melon, a slightly different variety than the ones I use. The Chinese bitter melon I buy has bumpy skin, not spiky. These melons can be used in soup with lots of ginger and oysters, or stir-fried either with meat or stuffed with ground meat and black bean garlic sauce. Medicinally, bitter melon is used for "cooling" the system when you have "too much heat"- and I don't mean hot flashes! :laugh:

The long brown tubers are cassava. The brown "striped" tubers on the left are taro. Taro makes a wonderful savory cake or taro puffs often served at dim sum.

Enjoying your blog. Enjoying ALL the blogs! Salivating over the pics of the coconut cake. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for creating an elegant blog, Darcie B. I still can't believe your husband really used a leaf blower in your kitchen. I'll be shaking my head over that one for a long time. Would you mind posting your ricotta cookie recipe on eGullet?

Oh, and for the judge's birthday? Get him a nice big ole jar of peanut butter with his name on it! :wink:

Ma Zukes

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Here's a big thank you to everyone who provided me with inspiration and encouragement during this blog. I couldn't have done it without your support! This has been an enriching experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed it; the friendly and knowledgeable eGullet community is one of the best resources I have ever found, online or otherwise.

I leave you with an early Valentine... :wub:

gallery_28660_2436_82743.jpg

Darcie, thanks for the great blog. I've really enjoyed your baking escpecially. I'm inspired to try more recipes, especially the bagels. I'm going to order the baking book you referenced for them. That was a really great tip.