• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A date with the Queen

Syrah

I think it is a great idea, but granted, yes it could be poorly done. What it can do for the foodways of the UK is what is important I think.

I've made "Coronation Chicken" in the past, and it is quite good.

Edit to add: Link to recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2...en_recipe.shtml

Edited by annecros (log)

Well, if it was ME making the dinner...and we were going to get all fancy like, this is what she'd get:

Toast Points with a bit of Gentleman's Relish on top.

Steak and Kidney Pie with a bit of Mashed Swede on the side, maybe a roasted spud or two.

Spotted Dick with jam sauce

A nice bit of Stilton and some biscuits

If it's good enough for the rest of the country, it's good enough for 'erself.

My friend Wendy was the flight attendant on thier plane during a visit in the late 60's...she has a great story about the kids - they were goofing around and overturned a tray of tea sandwiches. Elizabeth swatted at them with her magazine and made them not only pick the sandwiches off the floor but eat every one of them.

And of course there is the famous story - famous in our family, anyway - of her visit to Saskatchewan - they had a dinner in one of the small towns and the woman who was clearing the tables said 'keep your fork, there's pie'. Supposedly she obediently licked her fork and put it back on the table, waiting for the pie.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I believe the Queen is, if nothing else, extremely gratious. Therefore, I think she would appreciate just being served whatever we happened to be having anyway?

Tonite, the Queen would be eating Sloppy Joes! :raz:

SB (Hopes the Royal Launderer is traveling with her) :blink:

Lest I forget; although it would be uncustomary at my house, (in fact, it would be unprecedented), we would certainly have a round of toasts after dinner to commemorate such a special occasion!

Here we hark back to my youth, when supplies for a night of festivities included a case a Baltz Beer, a few hits of Windowpane, and a bottle of Canadian Club Canadian Whisky, aka "The Queen", by virtue of it's label containing the Royal Seal and information that it's "By Appointment Supplier of Canadian Whiskey to H.M. The Queen".

Althouth C.C. was a bit out of our price range, we kept a bottle on hand for use on those occasions when the urge for a round of toasting might strike us.

SB (TO THE QUEEN!) :biggrin:

I think it is a great idea, but granted, yes it could be poorly done. What it can do for the foodways of the UK is what is important I think.

I've made "Coronation Chicken" in the past, and it is quite good.

Edit to add: Link to recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2...en_recipe.shtml

I wonder if they will air it here, I don't see why not, even if they do wait until the season is played out before they do.

My friend Wendy was the flight attendant on thier plane during a visit in the late 60's...she has a great story about the kids - they were goofing around and overturned a tray of tea sandwiches.  Elizabeth swatted at them with her magazine and made them not only pick the sandwiches off the floor but eat every one of them.

This story has an inner truth: that the Queen is a pretty down-to-earth person, well, as least as down-to-earth as someone that rich and idolized can be. Alas, the facts of the story do not have the ring of truth: the Queen and the heir to the throne do not travel on the same plane.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Well, FDR served her hot dogs.

http://www.wnyc.org/books/34181

The president broke all protocol when he proposed a toast to the queen. She was so taken aback that she drank to herself. His son Franklin Jr. was given the “honor” of presenting the first hot dog on a silver platter to the queen. She immediately turned to FDR and asked, “How do you eat it?”

“Very simple,” FDR answered. “Push it into your mouth and keep pushing it until it is all gone.”

Newspaper reports announced that the royal couple had followed the president’s lead in eating the hot dogs with the “overhand delivery” to the mouth. The king smothered the hot dog with mustard and “devoured his with gusto.” Only when he got mustard on his pants did he lose interest in the hot dogs. After dessert FDR caught the king’s eye and asked “Sir, may we smoke?”

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

While I can't say I am surprised that Queen Elizabeth II refuses to eat raw oysters, etc., I was intrigued by Adam's remark and found this:

Her Majesty Goes to Italy.

While it is a gross stereotype to think all Italian food contains garlic, but to inform one's Italian hosts that one does not wish to ingest anything with garlic????

Hasn't Prince Charles conducted himself with greater culinary bravery in some of the former colonies he's visited? I know he's conservative about architecture and wild about things organic, but I thought there have been reports that distinguish him from his mum's tastes in other ways.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

While it is a gross stereotype to think all Italian food contains garlic, but to inform one's Italian hosts that one does not wish to ingest anything with garlic????

Thats kind of like going to Japan or China and requesting that nothing contain soy sauce.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

While I can't say I am surprised that Queen Elizabeth II refuses to eat raw oysters, etc., I was intrigued by Adam's remark and found this:

Her Majesty Goes to Italy.

Hasn't Prince Charles conducted himself with greater culinary bravery in some of the former colonies he's visited?  I know he's conservative about architecture and wild about things organic, but I thought there have been reports that distinguish him from his mum's tastes in other ways.

Well some people tend to carry thier garlic with them after they've eaten it in the form of BO or bad breath. Her job is mostly smiling warmly, shaking hands, and making polite coversation. Perhaps she is one of those that sweats garlic the next morning, and that just wouldn't do in the reception line meeting dignitaries. The long pasta is obviously a self preservation, and wadrobe preservation, move.

Here's the website of one of her former chef's, who also worked for Diana.

http://www.theroyalchef.com/

There are a couple of interesting looking recipes there, nothing earth shattering. Though the asparagus is coming in down here now, and the soup looks good.

"When mighty roast beef was the Englishman's food,

It enobled our hearts and enriched our blood,

Our soldiers were brave and our courtiers good.

Oh! The roast beef of old England!"

Richard Leveridge

Place a steak in front of the lady.

The Queen of England (if indeed it is true that she requests "no garlic") is far from the only political figure in the world to make special requests wherever they travel.

And garlic is often not used at all, in many Northern Italian cuisines.

Thats kind of like going to Japan or China and requesting that nothing contain soy sauce.

Or going to the States and requesting that nothing contain hotdogs.

Well, FDR served her hot dogs.

I think this was the present queen's mother

Yup, you're right, it was the Queen Mother. QE2 didnt get coronated until 1953. She died in 2002 at the age of 101. I doubt she consumed more than that one hot dog, though.