• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you put a refrigerator in your garage?

dbrociner

I need a second refrigerator and the garage is the most convenient place and also the place that has the most available space. I have a coworker who warns against this, he says that the temperature fluctuation in a garage causes problems for a refrigerator and that he had to move his to the basement. Is he right?

Anyone want to add their recommendation for a good second refrigerator? I need something basic, Costco sells a Whirlpool under the Kirkland brand for under $325 so thats the price range I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I don't know about his problems, but I have one in my garage and probably couldn't live without it now. I'm in the south and the temperature fluctuations are pretty extreme at times. I have yet to see any problems with it. I also keep my upright freezer in the garage.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Um, my sister has TWO refrigerators in her garage. A New Jersey garage, and they do fine. I had ONE in my Florida garage, and it did fine until one fine storm flooded all of South Beach, including MY garage (wah!). The food was untouched, but the refrigerator's coils were damaged. I think you'll be fine.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My husband the refridgeration mechanic said its just fine.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The only cautionary statement I have is in some places, it gets cold... cold enough to turn your second fridge into a freezer. If your garage is attached, or your weather doesn't get horribly severe for long periods of time, it's perfectly fine.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We moved our second fridge from Northern NJ to Western Maine and it's doing fine. We've had it for 30 years now and it's actually doing better than the "new" model we bought in 1996. We keep it in the garage (in Maine, our garage is heated), and it doesn't turn into a freezer ever. In NJ, the garage was not heated. Hope that helps!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

There was a little neighborhood in Cincinnati, where folks kept televisions and refrigerators on their front porch. From all the hanging-out on said porches, it seemed to work fine! :wink:

I always kept my chest freezers in the garage, because it was easier to get to than the basement. Did it in Ohio, California, and Jersey. I think I have a chest freezer in the basement somewhere, in this house. I think.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I have 2 side by side refrigerators-freezers for backup storage in attached garages. One in the Chicago area (7 years) and one in the Sarasota FL area (5 years). Never had a problem.

BTW - In both cases, I purchased them used from guys who get them from appliance dealers when they are swapping out older operating units for people who are remodeling their kitchens. They are checked out and reconditioned as necessary. They each came with a 1 year warranty. Don't recall the specifics but I know that I paid less than $100 for each unit. Both are still working fine.

I had a 30 year-old fridge (turquoise, no less) that we kept in our NJ garage for years--never a problem. A friend gave it me when she finally had her kitchen updated (the oven was done in turquoise as well) and whenever I have a big party, I still wish I had that extra room.

So go for it!! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I say go for it.

The one big drawback with second refrigerators is (this doesn't apply in your case) that they're usually older models that used to be in the kitchen but were relegated to the garage when new refrigerators were purchased. The older models tend to consume electricity at a much higher rate than the new "energy-saver" models.

My mom had a freezer for many years that she kept in her garage. When it died she had to buy a new one and the difference in her monthly utility bill was quite noticeable.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I also have backup fridge and freezer in the garage and love having the extra space during the holidays. I still have the honeybells that we received in the garage fridge.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

My garage fridge has a keg tap in the door! Now that's useful!  :biggrin:

:biggrin: My ex- father-in-law had that for his garage fridge.

We have an "energy saver" upright freezer in our garage here in FL. My husband and I argued about whether it would raise our electric bill significantly. He said no, and he won. This was one instance when I was glad he won an argument.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My garage fridge has a keg tap in the door! Now that's useful!  :biggrin:

Hey, a keggerator! I keep waiting for my husband the homebrewer to decide he's ready for one. :biggrin: Then all we'd need to do is find room in amongst the bicycles, the table saw, and---oh yeah---the car!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Is the garage isulated and heated? If not, don't put the refrigerater in there. Our, new (this year) refrigerator, kept shutting off because of the temp. control. New refrigerators have some type of temperature control that shuts it down if the outside temp is too cold. We lost about $300.00 worth of food and ended up moving it to the downstairs guest room. I guess it's handy if the guest wants to drink lots of beer.

Melissa

Hey, a keggerator! I keep waiting for my husband the homebrewer to decide he's ready for one.  Then all we'd need to do is find room in amongst the bicycles, the table saw, and---oh yeah---the car!

My homebrewer husband put in the tap after he'd been kegging a little while and was tired of opening the door to access the picnic tap. All it took was the right sized drill bit, really. As I recall, it was fairly simple to install the tap.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

For what it's worth, I have a refrigerator and a chest-type freezer on my covered, unenclosed back porch. No problems with either after three years. Of course, I live in a far more temperate climate that NJ, but even in the deadliest SE Georgia summer heat, neither has caused more problems than they've solved -- very handy for taking advantage of sales, freezing large harvests, chilling beverages for parties, etc. The only problem I've noted is that the chest freezer requires defrosting about 1-2 times per year, but that's sort of a built-in advantage to me, since it requires that I empty the freezer more often and take note of what's stored. Usually, I note something on the verge of spoilage while defrosting, so I lose less to freezer burn this way.

"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress."

Charles Pierre Monselet, Letters to Emily

Saw this topic and thought it looked interesting.

I cant think of a single self respecting Australian house that does not have a fridge full of beer and soft drink sitting in the garage!!!

I say go for it....

Regards,

Doc-G