• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto's in Manhattan

borris

My first meal here last night was impromptu and cost $40 pp and we stuffed ourselves with sashimi, sushi and draft beer. Same w/ same quality would have cost triple in NYC...

Good for you raji! But, this is disheartening news for the rest of us! :sad: Enjoy it while it lasts!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

OK my apologies not meant to rub anyone's noses in it....

That a ticket to Japan, off-peak, can cost the same as a meal at Masa, Morimoto, Megu, or any of those other similar places, does not take the edge off the 12-14 hour flight...

I do malign the fact that in NYC Japanese food MUST be prohibitively expensive - which is why I love places like Totto and Aburiya so much....

While we lack the equivalent of a Tsukiji market, surely there's got to be a better way...

Anyway I think this will be the first time I'll be posting from abroad, if I have time, so I'll leave links to posts in Hawaii and Japan...

Edited by raji (log)

• 3 months later...

[...]

In the Urbandaddy interview, Morimoto mentioned there is not a bad table in the house. Let me tell you where he may have overlooked. When you walk in, and you're at the hostess stand, turn to the left. Apart from the main dining room there is an alcove with a few tables. We were seated at a corner table at the back of the alcove surrounded by walls closing in on us. There was no view of anything but the empty table beside us in the corner and we couldn't be more detached from the vibe or mood Morimoto is meant to evoke than if they seated us at a table in Del Posto.

Nothing against the wait staff. When our waiter brought our menus I said to him, I hate to bother but is it possible to seat us anywhere else? I think he understood and he came back a few minutes later and said there were none then but may be one opening soon. We waited but in all honesty when you've been drooling over a menu for weeks and craving a certain experience, and ready to drop hundreds of dollars and then you're in a dim concrete alcove, the mood has passed. So we finished our drinks and asked the waiter for our check. I said there were no problems, we just wanted our check and thank you. Then the manager came. And he seemed to feel horrible for us and told us there would be a table soon and then he comped our drinks. And we said thank you and we went to get our coats. And then the manager stopped us again and said we could go down to the lounge and they'd buy us drinks until a new table was ready but we just wanted to go and it wasn't his fault either. He gave us his card and told us we'd get a better table next time and we left.

I think it would have been a perfect night if they seated us anywhere at all in the main dining room or at least in view of it or if we never left the lounge. But when you make a reservation weeks out and when you go to an establishment of a certain quality, well, they should either reserve this space for walk-ins or convert it to a coat check.  [...]

I mean this in all respect, and do not think you were wrong in any way to act as you did in response to the table incident. I can completely respect your decision for you and your particular preferences. However, don't you think that some folks might actually like sitting in there? Before the restaurant "converts it into a coat rack" as you suggested, perhaps some couples might like the seclusion of tables off in that alcove. I doubt very much that I would want to sit there myself, either. Obviously you also disliked those tables. I'm just thinking that there might be some people who would prefer seating like that.

Edited by James Kessler (log)

-James Kessler

Having never viewed this thread prior, I ate there this past Friday night with my wife. Had 9:30 reservations through opentable. Arrived at 9:37 and was asked to wait in the downstairs lounge. Had some difficulty getting a seat or any attention from the barstaff for several minutes, but then finally were seated at the far left of the bar. Ordered a white lilly, (apparently somewhat popular, now seeing it mentioned several times in this thread,) and a glass of albarino. Almost the exact moment our drinks were poured, we were told our table was ready. The host said "we have a great table for you." He wasn't wrong. Our table was in the upper part of the dining room overlooking the omakase bar to my left (the host station directly behind me.) A great view into the kitchen and the rest of the dining room.

Ordered the tuna pizza, (bluefin tuna, anchovy aioli, jalepeno); japanese lobster fritters, (pickeled ginger, scallion, lobster reduction); braised black cod, (japanese ratatouille, ginger-soy reduction); line-caught halibut, (black bean sauce, shaved ginger, hot oil); shimp tempura roll, (tempura shrimp, asparagus, spicy sauce); morimoto '5 year' aged sake; orange-berry tart, (vanilla bean ice cream, marshmallow, spiced berry sauce); chocolate pecan brownie, ( amaretto ice cream, espresso ice cream, cardamom sauce).

Pizza : both of us agreed it had great flavor. My wife found the jalepeno too spicy for her taste, but still liked the flavor. I thought the whole thing was great.

Fritters: a real hit. we both gobbled them up lickety-split.

braised cod: sweetly seasoned, with candied olives on the plate. Almost an unagi-sauce like flavor. We both liked it.

halibut: delicious, both in texture and flavor. Sauce was outstanding, and not overpowering. A very clean taste to the dish, with the natural flavor of the halibut coming through strongly. Other flavors did not dominate the dish.

shrimp tempura maki: I don't know what Morimoto does to his rice, but it was awesome! Not at all like sushi rice I've had before at other places, (yasuda, etc...) But unique and delicious. The asparagus provides just a slight refreshing crunch to the roll. Really good! We both were sad when it was gone, and could have ordered another one. (If we didn't mind the bill rapidly approaching the $300 mark!)

dessert was ok, but nothing all that special. The berry tart was especially nondescript. Chocolate brownie was a little better.

Overall, we loved everything we ate. Dessert was the lowest point in the meal, but not especially bad. Just not especially great either. Prices are, in general, crushingly expensive I thought. Yes, I know, I know, it's what one expects to pay for a restaurant like this one, in Manhattan. However, over three dollars for an oyster is expensive no matter what you're gonna say. Service, by the way, was pretty good we thought. All of the staff seemed very collected and at-ease. Our server was knowledgable and prompt. The low point in service was at the end of the meal, after dessert, and after the aged sake. We were waiting for someone to appear so we could ask for the check. No-one appeared for what seemed like a very long time. Finally I was able to make eye contact with our waitperson and request the bill, which them came promptly. Didn't really like the prolonged delay in asking for the bill though. No matter, I didn't let it affect the tip (too much. :wink: )

Anyway, we definately plan on returning. Next time I want to get the omakase and sit at the o. bar. My impression was, basically that it's a trendy trendy place that will make a crapload of money serving very good and tasty food, and charging somewhat more than they should for it.

-James Kessler

Went for an impromptu lunch on Friday. A friend and I split the $100 sushi listed on the menu. It was quite good, not great (Jewel Bako is much better) but it certainly was a cut above merely acceptable. The matcha green tea was great.

What I did notice, however, was a lack of discipline in the open kitchen behind the sushi bar. One guy was making a broth and he kept taking the ladle out and tasting directly from it (pouring into his mouth from the lip) then putting it back in the broth. I didn't really care, but I saw someone yelled at by Tom Collico on Top Chef once for tasting from the same spoon he put back in the broth. There was another sushi chef who was putting some tuna (I presume it was Tuna) on ice, then scorching it with a flame torch. He sneezed on his arm and left hand, then went right back to putting the fish on the ice with his hands, not pausing to wash them after sneezing. For a restaurant of this supposed caliber, I was surprised at the lack of discipline there.

Edited by DutchMuse (log)

I didn't really care, but I saw someone yelled at by Tom Collico on Top Chef once for tasting from the same spoon he put back in the broth.

I believe the incident was when chef Thomas Keller (not the same chef of French Laundry fame) yelled at a chef for tasting a sauce using his finger. I admit that putting the tasting spoon back in the broth isn't much better, but just clarifying.

-James Kessler

I believe the incident was when chef Thomas Keller (not the same chef of French Laundry fame) yelled at a chef for tasting a sauce using his finger.  I admit that putting the tasting spoon back in the broth isn't much better, but just clarifying.

That's Hubert Keller. :wink:

Nothing to see here.

I believe the incident was when chef Thomas Keller (not the same chef of French Laundry fame) yelled at a chef for tasting a sauce using his finger.  I admit that putting the tasting spoon back in the broth isn't much better, but just clarifying.

That's Hubert Keller. :wink:

Indeed you are correct, sir. I stand corrected.

Edited by James Kessler (log)

-James Kessler

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this thread as my wife and I ate at Morimoto Thursday night and it was not a pleasant experience.

We had not been in a hurry to go as we had heard rather mixed reviews from friends. It was thoroughly uninspiring and the dishes did not feel special in any way. We had the Omakase, and it seemed that it was being served Cafeteria style, with a bunch of the plates just sitting in the back waiting to be brought out

The sound level was unbelievably high due to pulsing club music, and the proximity of tables/ acoustics of the room.

We left feeling that there were a couple of decent dishes, but nothing that blew us away, which considering the 120 pp price of the Omakase, is criminal.

Lastly, the service left a lot to be desired. The waiter barely cared if we were enjoying our meal or not, had a greasy attitude, and tried to upsell us on a number of things.

Anyone had any recent experiences that confirm or contrast our experience?

Yes; not an unusual experience. If I may be slightly uncouth, the restaurant largely caters to the B&T crowd who come in but are not regulars. A few weeks ago (I live in the neighborhood), a friend was to drop by and we were going to lunch. I went on open table about an hour in advance, and Morimoto had all times available. Because I didn't know exactly what time she would arrive, I did not book a reservation but thought we would just walk to the restaurant.

We showed up and the hostess told me no tables were available but offered us two seats at the sushi bar. I explained we had business to discuss and asked if we might sit at a table instead; I mentioned that I had an hour before checked open table and it showed availability for all times. "I'm sorry, sir; we have no tables." I told her I didn't understand as I could go on my iPhone and just make a reservation in 5 minutes; it showed wide availability. Her response? "Well, alright; I'll seat you at a table. I'm certain one of the parties with reservations will realize the sushi bar is much more fun anyway."

I thought to myself, "And I'm paying for this treatment?"

Caters to the tourist crowd and they don't depend on regulars.

Edited by DutchMuse (log)

Yes; not an unusual experience. If I may be slightly uncouth, the restaurant largely caters to the B&T crowd who come in but are not regulars.  A few weeks ago (I live in the neighborhood), a friend was to drop by and we were going to lunch. I went on open table about an hour in advance, and Morimoto had all times available.  Because I didn't know exactly what time she would arrive, I did not book a reservation but thought we would just walk to the restaurant.

We showed up and the hostess told me no tables were available but offered us two seats at the sushi bar. I explained we had business to discuss and asked if we might sit at a table instead; I mentioned that I had an hour before checked open table and it showed availability for all times.  "I'm sorry, sir; we have no tables."  I told her I didn't understand as I could go on my iPhone and just make a reservation in 5 minutes; it showed wide availability.  Her response? "Well, alright; I'll seat you at a table. I'm certain one of the parties with reservations will realize the sushi bar is much more fun anyway."

Thanks for the info.

That's what I figured based on our experiences. It's funny that you can go across the street to Craftsteak and have an exponentially better meal and environment.

Yes; not an unusual experience. If I may be slightly uncouth, the restaurant largely caters to the B&T crowd who come in but are not regulars.  A few weeks ago (I live in the neighborhood), a friend was to drop by and we were going to lunch. I went on open table about an hour in advance, and Morimoto had all times available.  Because I didn't know exactly what time she would arrive, I did not book a reservation but thought we would just walk to the restaurant.

We showed up and the hostess told me no tables were available but offered us two seats at the sushi bar. I explained we had business to discuss and asked if we might sit at a table instead; I mentioned that I had an hour before checked open table and it showed availability for all times.  "I'm sorry, sir; we have no tables."  I told her I didn't understand as I could go on my iPhone and just make a reservation in 5 minutes; it showed wide availability.  Her response? "Well, alright; I'll seat you at a table. I'm certain one of the parties with reservations will realize the sushi bar is much more fun anyway."

Thanks for the info.

That's what I figured based on our experiences. It's funny that you can go across the street to Craftsteak and have an exponentially better meal and environment.

Or you could skip all the "chains" and go to a really good original restaurant. While you're at it, you could go to a better 'hood for food.

One note about Morimoto, though: While its main dining room food has been largely and universally panned since its opening, it was possible (at least a couple of years ago) to have a truly spectacular meal there, albeit at a price. If you sit at the omakase bar (separate from the sushi bar), you'll be served by either Morimoto himself (if he's there) or his assistant (who is very talented). They will serve you dishes not on the menu, and usually items that change daily. It's a true omakase, unlike the one on the menu. You can only do this at the omakase bar, and it starts around $200 a person, but it can be well worth it. The one time I did this, I had one of the best Japanese meals I've ever had anywhere...and I've had a LOT. It's a completely separate experience from dining in the main restaurant. Different ingredients, different dishes and different level entirely. I can't vouch that it's still as good, but it may be.

Two thoughts....if a restaurant can do a great Omakese, they should be able to offer good food in the entire restaurant....the concept of "different ingredients" etc. in one small section is an oddity and unfair to the other diners.

Second...Chelsea and the Village have great restaurants; not sure what you mean by go to a better 'hood for food.

Thanks for the info.

Or you could skip all the "chains" and go to a really good original restaurant. While you're at it, you could go to a better 'hood for food.

One note about Morimoto, though: While its main dining room food has been largely and universally panned since its opening, it was possible (at least a couple of years ago) to have a truly spectacular meal there, albeit at a price. If you sit at the omakase bar (separate from the sushi bar), you'll be served by either Morimoto himself (if he's there) or his assistant (who is very talented). They will serve you dishes not on the menu, and usually items that change daily. It's a true omakase, unlike the one on the menu. You can only do this at the omakase bar, and it starts around $200 a person, but it can be well worth it. The one time I did this, I had one of the best Japanese meals I've ever had anywhere...and I've had a LOT. It's a completely separate experience from dining in the main restaurant. Different ingredients, different dishes and different level entirely. I can't vouch that it's still as good, but it may be.

Most, if not all good Japanese food is very much incumbent on execution, and that is where you see the real Japanese pursuit of perfection, even in your lowliest ramen cook... which is why I've found Japanese food doesn't really scale UP well at all and the big box Japanese places fail... the exceptions being places Yasuda or perhaps Nobu where all the chefs are universally held up to a very high standard and have to apprentice extensively. This of course always the case in Japan, but it seems outside of Japan that ridiculous amount of training, apprenticeship and mentoring doesn't happen as much, because it's not Japan. It doesn't surprise me that the general dining room at Morimoto sucks because that place is more marketing than anything.

I'd stick to Sugiyama for the teishoku experience, because it doesn't matter where you sit

• 3 years later...

We ate at Morimoto on Sunday night and had a mixed, but overall good dinner.

We started the meal with yosedofu and a mixed green salad. The salad is good, but nothing to get excited about. It was much larger than we expected. It covered a 10-12" plate and was at least 4" tall. Probably enough to feed 4-6 people. The only bone I can pick is that there was not enough bonito and that it was shaved too thickly. We almost skipped the yosedofu due to the lobster sauce, but they were kind enough to give us a vegetarian carrot and straw mushroom sauce. This was probably the best of the night. The tofu was soft, custard like, and creamy. The carrot sauce and a little wasabi brought it to a new level. They also brought out my wife's entree, a sampling of three udon noodles. We were probably not clear that it was her entree. It's a cold dish, so no real harm.

Then we waited

And waited...

And waited....

An hour later I had enough and asked the manager why it was taking so long for my entree and the two sushi rolls. He looked into it and they were at our table less than a minute later. I think they were waiting for us the finish the udon. We overheard the waiter telling another employee that the mixup was due to miscommunication... I had the ishi yaki buri bop, yellowtail and rice cooked in a stone bowl. This was my second favorite dish of the night. The fish was just barely cooked through and quite soft and delicious. The rice had little crunchy bits from its contact with the bowl and was great with the sauce. The sushi was meh and nothing worth discussing.

They made up for the delays by comping us the delayed dishes and they brought us a plate of sorbet to congratulate us on my wife's pregnancy (we mentioned it when ordering due to her restrictions). The raspberry wasabi sorbet was my favorite, the basil sorbet was way too strong, and the guava was good but forgetable.

The food was good and in generous portions, but the service was spotty. While they did screw up, they did try to remedy the problems.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

The original morimoto in philly has never let me down. Sad to hear the NYC version is a disappointment.

Mistakes happen at every restaurant. Most of the time, it is not the mistake that is the issue, it is the response. Once I brought up the problem, it was quickly and correctly remedied. We will go back in the future.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.