• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto's in Manhattan

borris

A copy of the menu is here. It shows:

Cold Appetizers: $18-33

Hot Appetizers: $11-23

Soup & Noodles: $12-16

Mains: $23-48

Sushi-Sashimi: $4-10 per piece

Maki: $6.00-13.50

Chef's Combination of Sushi/Sashimi/Maki: $30, 100, or $150

Omakase: $120

The menu has some overlap from PHILA. There are some new items though. Presentation seems to be different from the pics. Prices are comparable. And yes, the raman soup is worth every penny.

I will be eating there in the next month and am very excited to see how it is recieved in NYC.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

This menu barely excites me and, at points, even scares me.  Japanese "antipasti" seems a curious menu description.  The "Iron Chef" chicken noodle soup and duck, duck, duck also has me raising my eyebrows.

But then again, I haven't eaten there.

duck duck duck?

looks creative to me. its duck 3 ways. foie, peking, and egg.

that looks to be pretty damn original to me. and im sure its a beautiful dish.

why the hate? jeez.

I went to morimoto in Philly about three years ago. It seemed to me that the menu then was almost identical to Nobu. Is that the case in NY. Hopefully not because I think NY has enough of Nobu to go around already.

I went to morimoto in Philly about three years ago.  It seemed to me that the menu then was almost identical to Nobu.  Is that the case in NY.  Hopefully not because I think NY has enough of Nobu to go around already.

The menu is very different from Nobu.

Photos of the food & setting here and here.

They've even got aged soy sauce—10 and 20 years old. I have never heard of that.

Much better than the omakase menu I had the fifth day he was open in Philadelphia.

Like I said earlier, definitely going to be more creative in NYC.

Blogger Augieland has already had the Morimoto omakese five times. Obviously the guy has a lot of disposable income. Amazingly, there have been no repeated dishes.

See here, here, here, here, and here.

how much are his omakase's running these days (in nyc)?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

that is a truly impressive array of dishes. i'm not sure what i had expected out of morimoto as a restaurant - maybe a restaurant catering more to the masses - but those pictures kind of dispell that thought. all menus were creative and interesting combinations. and no repeats!!

i like the 2nd night. almost looks like a bargain.

that is a truly impressive array of dishes.  i'm not sure what i had expected out of morimoto as a restaurant - maybe a restaurant catering more to the masses - but those pictures kind of dispell that thought.  all menus were creative and interesting combinations.  and no repeats!! 

i like the 2nd night.  almost looks like a bargain.

also, based on these photos - they're a lot less "fusion" (ie. westernized) than the omakases i've had at the philadelphia locale.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Having eaten at Morimoto in Phila many times I can tell you that he really raised the bar on his Omakase for NYC. He needed to and I believe his efforts will not go unnoticed. The food is creative and looks amazing. Good for him.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Having eaten at Morimoto in Phila many times I can tell you that he really raised the bar on his Omakase for NYC.  He needed to and I believe his efforts will not go unnoticed.  The food is creative and looks amazing.  Good for him.

looks like it... darn! i wish i were nyc right now! i have a whole list of restaurants i need to do and re-do... so i'm a'comin'!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've NEVER eaten such a high priced meal in my life, BUT my parent's THIRTIETH anniversary is coming up. :) All huge Iron Chef fans, so this might be the ticket. If I can think of some way to justify the cost.

What do you think the omakase actually runs with drinks and tip? What about no drinks (we don't drink alchohol at all really...)

Blogger Augieland has already had the Morimoto omakese five times. Obviously the guy has a lot of disposable income. Amazingly, there have been no repeated dishes.

See here, here, here, here, and here.

Checked back here and the count is now up to 7. Also posted a summary review. Marc/Oakapple, do you or anybody else know this blogger? He claims Morimoto is better than Nobu and Masa.

Checked back here and the count is now up to 7.  Also posted a summary review.  Marc/Oakapple, do you or anybody else know this blogger?  He claims Morimoto is better than Nobu and Masa.

maybe chef morimoto blogs? :laugh:

whoever it is, they must love morimoto - and morimoto must love them!!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Andrea Strong visits Morimoto...

...if Starr actually thinks Morimoto is more interesting than any restaurant New York has seen, clearly Mr. Starr has either (a) never eaten in New York City, or (b) is suffering from a rare and little known ailment I call Chronic Culinary Delusion (hereinafter, “CCD”), and needs a major dose of restaurant therapy. My prescription for a CCD cure would be visits to several restaurants that are far more interesting than Morimoto: WD-50, 71 Clinton (while it’s still with us), Annisa, Fatty Crab, Momofuku, Gilt, Tia Pol, and yes, how about Nobu? After my meal at Morimoto, Mr. Starr, I respectfully submit that you will need to start eating your words.

The quote is indicative, she pretty much slams the place. Read the whole thing in this week's Strong Buzz.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Wow, that was one harsh review. I enjoyed my meal at Morimoto in Philly, but if Ms. Strong's experience is at all typical, I'm not sure I'll be going to Morimoto here at home any time soon. Pity. And with Del Posto across the street, we may have a new jinxed block in town.

Al

Having dined at morimoto in Phily and all of Batali's place sans Lupa, I'm afraid after all the bad news and including Starr's pompous diatrabe about being the man in NYC, I have little desire to dine at either DelPosto or Morimoto, NYC. It's a shame as I thought they were all very good to excellent. Especially at their price points.

The conclusion I'm drawing from what I've read is that one should dine in the omakase area, and perhaps avoid the other parts of the restaurant. The pictures and descriptions of the omakase given by the guy who's eaten there 7 times strikes me as compelling. At least I hope that's the right conclusion seeing as I'll be trying to get a reservation there very soon.

The price variations noted above gives some pause: the difference between $120 (what their official menu states) and $250 is obviously significant. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Where are people getting the money to shovel into these places? And how exactly do they plan on making it back?

while i'm sure strong was half rhetorically asking this question....

Hey, if you are going to design a restaurant for $12 million, I might chose a material other than Ty Nant water bottles, which by the way, the restaurant is given for free, but charges guests $8 a pop.

i suspect there's part of the answer... sheesh - $8 for water? not even 3-star paris restaurants are going that far... okay, so maybe they are - but that's a 3-star restaurant!! :hmmm: (still not justified, imho).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Where are people getting the money to shovel into these places? And how exactly do they plan on making it back?

Well, there's lots more hedge fund managers than there used to be.

Bonuses at i-banking firms all over are up again.

Aren't benefactors behind most of Broadway?

Something like 80% of Broadway shows lose money, unless that show interviewing one of the producers was incorrect.

I'm sure beyond a certain level (let's say a million or so) restaurant financing operations overall are similar levels of vanity/love.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.