• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masterchef

Richard_D

Hehehe, poor poor Andy.

Put your apron on, Cilla Black coming to town.

New program on BBC2:

Eating with...

starting March 29 06 @ 20.00pm and for eight weeks.

A new series explores famous people through the food that has flavoured their lives.

The BBC will have us gasping with Cilla Black, Ronnie Corbett, Oona King, Sadie Frost,

Nigel Slater, Minette Walters, Malcolm McLaren and Tom Parker Bowles.

Yes you read right Tom Parker Bowles for crying out LOUD.

Just in case you missed it. Tom Parker Bowles in da flesh!?!?!!

Everybody hold on to your Cringometers. Gonna be a rough ride.

Master Chef, please come back, everything is forgiven. We are not worthy!

Edited by Nicolai (log)

Hehehe, poor poor Andy.

Do you think, by any chance, I might be taking this a bit too seriously?

I saw the trailer for the Cilla show and I think there was a scene shot at Le Caprice so there might at least be a bit of restaurant action in the show to keep us all amused. I quite like Cilla actually, I was a Blind Date addict and her vocal on "Alfie" is just awesome.

I agree with Nicolai - Tom Parker Bowles!?! Talk about a name getting you places.

I think his dreadful column in the Mail on Sunday seems to have disappeared, haven't noticed it for a while - it was cringe making and so patronising. The series sounds interesting though......

• 10 months later...

There's definitely an improvement, that dreadful voice over woman has been reined in (and she has finally been told there is no 'n' in restaurateur) and limited to brief intros and dish descriptions without the faux drama of previous series. Much less of the "life changing" schtick, more attention paid to the food and generally better editing with less repetition. Even the two presenters are being more forthcoming about the food on the plates and why they pick particular contestants. Still not great TV but it has lost a lot of the more annoying "features" of previous series.

I think I might have to eat my earlier comments about it having improved.

In the Friday 'final' firstly they dragged them round a market to get a shot of them sniffing/prodding/looking thoughtfully at a button mushroom. They then kicked one bloke out because he couldn't identify some tinned beans and bits of lamb (fair enough, although the person who couldn't identify the borlotti beans she cooked with in the earlier round should have been booted out as well). Only then with 10 minutes to go did they get around to cooking something.

Oh, and each stage was followed by some serious blubbing from all the contestants.

I'm still hooked though. I don't know why I can't stop watching it.

:sad:

• 2 weeks later...

What a crock of shit this prgramme is. Did anyone see the programme last night? Highly competent Police bloke (Rob?), was totally unflappable in the kitchen of the Mandarian Oriental hotel. He then produced a good looking confited salmon starter and and a pork belly dish, which was admittedly somewhat overcooked.

But he lost out to the woman, who produced roast patridge without the skin( sacrilege), but with all the trimmings. Torode said the components were far too sweet. And she was utterly pants in the professional kitchen. She couldn't even plate salad up, despite being told how too umpteen times. Aaagh, why send them to a professional kitchen and ask the chef's opinion- if they then take fuck all notice?

I only watch it as my two year old loves it. He will be watching on his own tonight, for fear of me sticking my foot through the telly.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Why can't we ever see the discussion that leads them to pick the final winner? We hear the talk regarding why they have dismissed everybody bar the last two. Do you think it has anything to do with the decision being influenced by what is perceived to make good TV?

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I only watch it as my two year old loves it. He will be watching on his own tonight, for fear of me sticking my foot through the telly.

It is a big hit with the under 5s, Becky loves it, picking a contestant at the begining to win.

I suspect that's what the judges do as well :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I have to say, I had a meal with Gregg last night and he is a top guy. It was very interesting to hear more about Masterchef from him and one thing he emphasise is that first and foremost it is a tv show, the food is secondary.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I have to say, I had a meal with Gregg last night and he is a top guy.

What did he order - three puddings?

:laugh: I'm sure he would have if he could have! No, it was a set menu with 2 choices of starter and main and one desert. The food was not particularly good, but we made up for it with alcohol afterwards!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I have to say, I had a meal with Gregg last night and he is a top guy.  It was very interesting to hear more about Masterchef from him and one thing he emphasise is that first and foremost it is a tv show, the food is secondary.

I would like to know however, who was 'The Pro' and who was 'The Punter' :wink:

lol - I have to be honest, I did ask him about that and any potential conflict of interest between the restaurants he supplies and reviews!

One thing is for sure, the two front men (presenters is too good a word to use for these amateurs) have learned nothing since the first series. They still have no idea what it is they are supposed to be judging, on the one hand they bang on about "simplicity", "letting the ingredients speak for themselves", "properly cooked" and then one guy does a simple, properly cooked piece of (I think) haddock and they complain that he wasn't adventurous enough. Then an interesting veal with pesto dish is written off as being too complicated. No wonder the contestants look dazed. Of course they would do better next time because they might have some insight into what the two clowns want.

I think John Torode owns Smiths of Smithfield. So he is not entirely an amateur. Let's not forget we are all mostly amateurs ourselves in that we do not work in the restaurant biz and our opinions are merely that, opinions

Let us not forget either that this is TV. If the first series had not been successful a second one would not have been commissioned. Somebody out there likes it!

S

I think John Torode owns Smiths of Smithfield. So he is not entirely an amateur. Let's not forget we are all mostly amateurs ourselves in that we do not work in the restaurant biz and our opinions are merely that, opinions

..............I think you will find a lot of people on here actually do work in the 'restaurant biz'.