• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masterchef

Richard_D

I'm ashamed to admit I'm getting hooked on it. It's kinda relaxing to come home after a hard day at the office and yell obscenities at Wallace and Torode. It's much better than sweating it out at the gym.

Today really got to me - what is the point of going off to cook for the royal marines in sub zero temperatures???? How does this make you better in a hot, steamy professional kitchen??

I guess I would be the odd one out here to say that I quite enjoy watching Masterchef - I am particualrly fascinated by how the same set of ingredients transform into so many different dishes. Would someone be kind enough to give me the name of the French dish made on Day 1 of the semi-finals? It was poached chicken breasts (stuffed and rolled into clingfilm) served with a mustard sauce.

Thanks!

Ballotine of Chicken I think.

I skip the first 5 minutes of every episode which is the same every day (good old Sky+) and do actually enjoy it until the decision making when I turn into many of the other forum members here and start shouting at the tv.

I guess I would be the odd one out here to say that I quite enjoy watching Masterchef - I am particualrly fascinated by how the same set of ingredients transform into so many different dishes. Would someone be kind enough to give me the name of the French dish made on Day 1 of the semi-finals? It was poached chicken breasts (stuffed and rolled into clingfilm) served with a mustard sauce. 

Thanks!

I am enjoying parts of it too. I thought last night's in the Artic was really good. The dish is 'Ballotine of Chicken' and is usually made with a whole bird or just the leg which is much nicer than using just the breast. It is also usually braised rather than poached to give a bit more flavour.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Just watched tonight's episode :shock: . More swearing than usual in my house.

Unbelievable judging decisions, not only did they have (IMHO) respectable food writers/reviewers but chose to ignore them.

grrrrrr!

PS Digger Driver Dean for the win!!

Just watched tonight's episode  :shock: . More swearing than usual in my house.

Unbelievable judging decisions, not only did they have (IMHO) respectable food writers/reviewers but chose to ignore them.

grrrrrr!

PS Digger Driver Dean for the win!!

You totally confused me for a second, but then I realised that here in Scotland we've just seen the episode you guys in south of the Border saw yesterday (Dean steaming tea and fish etc) :wacko: Will watch the food writers/reviewers judging tomorrow. Curious to know what and whose dish tasted like poison..

I'm for Digger Driver Dean as well :raz:

Quick reminder for those who can still bear to watch this.

On Thursday (16th) each of the 3 finalists will cook at a different 2-star Michelin restaurant.

The three restaurants are: Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons, Midsummer House and Le Champignon Sauvage.

I was wondering how many of last night's collection of eaters at the Ritz would think about hiring one of the losers of the competition. It seems a perfect audition for someone seeking 'food' as a career - win or lose.

I think Digger Dean or our mother of two would have a better chance than Peter. I sense age discrimination at times in this contest.

My money is also on Dean and I sure hope this week goes quickly so we can go back to eating dinner at the table.

Is is a wee bit perplexing when the title of Master Chef will go to anybody who can read a recipe IN DETAIL and executes the dish.

Is this really what being a Chef is about? To prepare a recipe by numbers!

I think not.

More like a one trick poney or three to that matter!

Aaarghhhhhh

My money is also on Dean and I sure hope this week goes quickly so we can go back to eating dinner at the table.

You might be very disappointed unfortunately tomorrow then! The judges don't seem to have come up with a consistent and meaningful set of criteria for selecting the winners since last year.

Edited by fabienpe (log)

That was a nailbiting final. The judges had to choose between raw partridge, raw venison and overcooked duck.

Sadly, Dean and Daksha both blew it and the judges went for Peter.

Wish I'd put a bet on Peter winning 'cos I spent yesterday telling everyone that Dean should win but that they would pick Peter. This was, in the most part, greeted with howls of laughter.

I was sadly proved right.

'gulp', does this mean I think like John Torode and Gregg Wallace!?!?!?!? :unsure:

Oh well, just got this to look forward to now....

The Great British Menu

Edited by Richard_D (log)

I can't feel too sorry for Digger Dean. I think he'll have found a good job in any top kitchen by now... has he? I have no idea why this Yank got so hooked on this program - maybe because there's nothing like it in the States. I found the judges appalling. Peter, although we know he had trouble with his sauces because they told us 50 times, was really the best of the three.

The BBC have got lot of explaining to do.

The simple title of "Master Chef" is a slap in the face to all Chefs and future chefs slaving away from Switzerland to US culinary schools. It is not doing a favour to the industry who is either teaching or training Chefs and not even to the self taught maveriks behind their stoves in their heated up kitchens.

Being a food lover does not make you a Chef and being a good cook does not make you a Chef either!

So much money went into the making of this program from studio set up to outdoor mobile units to on site shooting. And for what?

Two jokers and few amateurs cooking by numbers.

If Daksha can do a Soufflé by number then it is time to hang up our aprons and head for the nearest golden arches.

But at the end of the day, the budget for such production is coming out of our pocket so that the BBC can have one hundred channels and spend good money on rubbish programs and presenters....and be proud of it!

I'm slightly surprised at the high expectations expressed on this (and other) threads about food TV.

It's TV. It's mass market. It's shit.

Saying that, for our licence fee we get R4 etc.

(Perhaps I'm just being defeatist)

The BBC have got lot of explaining to do.

What exactly do they need to explain? They're a television company, they made a show, some people liked it, some didn't, what's new?

So much money went into the making of this program from studio set up to outdoor mobile units to on site shooting. And for what?

For what? For 6 weeks (I think it was 6) of compelling network television, that's what. If they hadn't spent the money on masterchef, it's not like it would have gone to charity or something, they would have shot a new series of some shitey property program. I enjoyed masterchef, I didn't like either of the presenters, I didn't like many of the contestants, but that doesn't matter, it made good television.

Is is a wee bit perplexing when the title of Master Chef will go to anybody who can read a recipe IN DETAIL and executes the dish.

Is this really what being a Chef is about? To prepare a recipe by numbers!

I think not.

More like a one trick poney or three to that matter!

Aaarghhhhhh

No - most chefs are also shown how to prepare it as well...

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Is this really what being a Chef is about? To prepare a recipe by numbers!...

No - most chefs are also shown how to prepare it as well...

Not in a cookery competition which are tests of knowledge and skill not hand holding exercises. This wasn't Masterchef Goes Large, it was Generation Game Goes Large.