• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Live Cook-Along - Any future plans?

Sara,

I enjoyed the shows where a viewer cooked along with you and shared their experiences. From your perspective, was that a successful idea? Something you would consider doing again if production challeges could be overcome?

Thanks.

Judy

Edited because I changed questions mid-stream and didn't change the topic heading to reflect it. :shock:

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Judy,

I would do another live show complete with cook along in a heartbeat if someone offered me the opportunity and was willing to fund it. Again, it was the food network's choice, not mine. They said it was too expensive and the production values were too sloppy. I also think they didn't like all the random stuff (I dropped it, I burned it, we got a dirty phone call) that I thought made it real reality tv.

I think the cook along was a great way to learn. Even though I wasn't physically in the viewer's home, we were cooking together. They could see what I did.

Sara Moulton

Judy,

I also think they didn't like all the random stuff (I dropped it, I burned it, we got a dirty phone call) that I thought made it real reality tv.

That's what makes shows of this kind great.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Judy,

I also think they didn't like all the random stuff (I dropped it, I burned it, we got a dirty phone call) that I thought made it real reality tv.

That's what makes shows of this kind great.

Exactly, and I aniticipated that as part of the answer...the live element that we all enjoyed and spontaneous honesty about mis-steps or substituting ingredients kept it from being slick enough. They don't want trained chefs and don't want foibles...not much room in the middle for entertainment, is there? Too bad.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher