• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Asia Supermarket, Cary NC

ditsydine

While I am tempted to put my first question on the Chinese forum, perhaps some of you who have been to Grand Asia can help me answer it

1. In the area in the front where they have the restaurant and bakery, there is a stand in the middle where they serve what appears to be tofu with different toppings. What is this? Any recommendations?

2. Have any of you purchased any of their fresh seafood or meats? How is the quality?

3. Lastly, I was tempted to buy a scallion roasted chicken, but didn't. Have any of you tried this?

Thanks a bunch!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

1. It is a sichuan tofu dish called flower bean curd. Basically, very soft warm tofu with scallions, cilantro, vinegar, and chili sauce. Of course each recipe varies slightly. I've had it before with toased soy nuts on top, but they don't offer that. It's really quite satisfying.

2. I've purchased both meat and seafood from them and had about as good luck as anywhere else. Certainly the prices are right. The Chinese sausage they sell there is top notch.

3. I, too, was tempted by the scallion chicken but also didn't bite.

1. It is a sichuan tofu dish called flower bean curd. Basically, very soft warm tofu with scallions, cilantro, vinegar, and chili sauce. Of course each recipe varies slightly. I've had it before with toased soy nuts on top, but they don't offer that. It's really quite satisfying.

Thanks detlechef. I've googled the hell out of "flower bean curd" since last night and can't seem to come up with anything..(I'm a major info junkie)

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I've not bought seafood there, but a food-loving friend of mine regularly gets fish there and is quite pleased with it.

I believe Grand Asia makes tofu and soy milk as well. I'm not a big tofu fan, but I've been told fresh tofu is a whole 'nother animal and I should try it.

I love going in that store and just wandering around. One day, they had the in-store radio tuned to a country station - what a hoot.

I am just frustrated with it since they expanded, though. I can't find some things I use to rely on being there. The wonderful bean cakes/moon cakes that used to be in the refrigerator section wraped in white paper. My kids and I would always get some bean paste ones as a treat to eat on the way home. The flaky pastry got all over the car. The paste was soft and sweet. The ones they have now are in plastic containers by the check out, not fresh and very old and stiff....yuck. Does anyone know what happened to them?

There are other things missing, but I can't of course. think of them right now.

But I am reminded that we are getting low on sticky rice in the freezer, another kid favorite.