• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet January 2006, 65 Years

The January 2006 issue of Gourmet may well be the best collection of recipes I've ever seen in one magazine. I started a topic about it (click here if you wish to take a look), and it's interesting to see comments from others who tried recipes earlier on, and/or this time around. Everything I've cooked so far has been delicious!

As Executive Chef of Gourmet magazine, what parts did you play in making that issue? Did you work on all 65 recipes? Ruth Reichl said in her Letter From the Editor that you all struggled with authenticity, and when it seemed more appropriate, recipes were modified to update them. Were there certain ones that presented a challenge in that regard? Which ones stand out in your mind as among the very best? What can you tell us about the work that went into the January issue?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan,

Let me tell you something you probably didn't realize. I have nothing to do with editorial. I have been part of the advertising team since 1987.

I started in gourmet in the test kitchen in the mid 80's when I decided I couldn't work a million hours a week in restaurants and still have kids. So I am sure some of my old recipes pop up every so often in book or magazine retrospectives (before Ruth we were not given credit for our recipes, we were all just one anonymous team) but I am not privy to how they put the magazine together today. I still have buddies in the test kitchen and I check in with them when I have a question about a recipe or if I want a recommendation about something extra special to serve in my dining room. If you or anyone else has questions about that issue, I could certainly find out the answer and I will check out that thread to see the comments.

Sara Moulton

:cool: Great minds... Sara, I see that Elie Nassar ("FoodMan") and I almost cross-posted. In separate topics, we both asked you about the role of Gourmet's Executive Chef. Please feel free to reply to either/or, and not obligated to reply to both!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.