• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Allen

The people at the Blues festival talk so much you can't hear the music. Also, they stopped bringing in the Chicago R&B greats (Major Lance, Tyrone Davis, Little Milton, Otis Clay etc) to focus on what suburban WXRT listeners think "blues" is.

The Abbey Pub is a great place. I'd say an 11:30 show would probably start at 12:15-12:30?

Have a great weekend.

The Blues festival is this weekend. :cool:

The Blues Festival is to real blues as the Olive Garden is to Italian cuisine. I'll elaborate if anyone wants me to.

Seems like you should look at this years schedule a little closer. Also don't punish Bonnie for getting famous. She played real blues for a long time before she hit it big. Perhaps you are spending too much time at the Petrillo.

Rhythm and blues is not blues.

Also, any thoughts about someplace called the Abby Pub? Waco Bros. are playing there on Saturday night. Metromix says the show starts at 11:30. In NYC, if it says 11:30, it means 1 AM. Is this true in Chicago also?

Abbey is cool as hell, Waco Bros. rock. Also, stop by the Hideout, nice quaint place with friendly people, nice libitations, and you will have a rocking good time. Danny's Tavern is also a cool place, it's decked out as a home, with kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, living rooms, and you can go anywhere you want; it's all part of the tavern. They have a furniture and everything with a dj spinning records till the wee hours, nice libitations as well.

• 2 months later...

Yup, I'm going to Chicago next Sunday for a sales meeting, staying at the House of Blues Hotel for a few days. I know zilch about the city or the neighborhood. Please tell all. Specifically, I am looking for one or two places really close by where I can grab a bite and feel at home -- a dive or a mom-and-pop type place. Also, any bar/club recommendations? (I'd love to know where the best pint of Guinness is, but post that here please.) :biggrin:

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

For convenience, it's hard to beat Bin 36, on Dearborn right next to the hotel. The $10 wine flights on Sunday and Monday are a great deal.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

For convenience, it's hard to beat Bin 36, on Dearborn right next to the hotel. The $10 wine flights on Sunday and Monday are a great deal.

Wow, that's quite an extensive menu. Any specialties? I'm drooling over the cheeses.

Looks a little schmancy for me, but you know, I go both ways... :cool:

I'm there Sunday through Wednesday, so I'm hoping the bars won't be too crowded?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Amen to Frontera Grill. There's a nice little bar, but the food is the main attraction. Ditto Brasserie Jo, also a short walk from HOB. Sorry, no useful info re Bin 36's specialities (although the melon and Serrano ham salad with roasted pistachios looks pretty appealing). :raz:

I'm just an occasional tourist, though. I'm sure some of the Chicagoland residents or more frequent visitors to Chicago will have more and better info than I.

I also suggest checking out this web guide.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

That's a great resource; thank you!

I had no idea that the Frontera Grill was nearby -- I've always wanted to go there. I will try to get reservations for Sunday night, since that's my only free night.

Any place to grab lunch?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

One of the most lovely restaurants in town for lunch is Cafe Spiaggia (Oak and Michigan- a hot sweaty walk or a nice cool 4 dollar cab). The delightful well priced food and Henry's obscure yet perfectionistic wine list along with the stellar service make this a great choice. Make sure to eat in the CAFE however, the adjoining upscale restaurant is way too stuffy. As for Bin, it is hardly fancy, the decor mimics a Crate and barrel store, the wine list is servicable but the food can be spotty.

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

I had no idea that the Frontera Grill was nearby -- I've always wanted to go there.  I will try to get reservations for Sunday night, since that's my only free night.

Unfortunately, Frontera Grill/Topolobampo is not open on Sunday or Monday. Any chance of talking your meeting companions into going there on Tuesday?

I emphatically second Carema's recommendation of Cafe Spiaggia (for lunch or diner).

I had no idea that the Frontera Grill was nearby -- I've always wanted to go there.  I will try to get reservations for Sunday night, since that's my only free night.

Unfortunately, Frontera Grill/Topolobampo is not open on Sunday or Monday. Any chance of talking your meeting companions into going there on Tuesday?

That's terrible! I had just made plans to take the whole HQ group there for a Sunday night pre-meeting powwow. I was going to call for reservations this AM.

No, we have group activities Monday & Tuesday -- Rock 'n' Bowl & a Murder Mystery Cruise. Not exactly chosen for the cuisine, but should be fun. There's a slight possibility a friend & I may be able to sneak out for lunch on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm going with Brasserie Jo for Sunday, unless someone can change my mind. The thing is that Frontera would have been utterly ideal because it's casual, with amazing food (I am assuming w/ what I know of the chef) and a change of pace for our French guests. Spiaggia would be a stretch because of the distance, and it sounds a little reserved & quiet for the group and the occasion. If I put them in a cab, they would expect more, and might get enervated & grumpy from traveling if the place isn't vibrant enough or everything isn't perfect. Same goes for the price -- it's better to go on the low side nowadays to keep the bosses from hyperventilating. We also may want to invite people to drop in for drinks before or after dinner & Brasserie Jo seems like the perfect place for that -- it's so close to the hotel that people can come & go as they please.

The only problem is that it's French, and won't exactly be thrilling for our 2 guests who live in Paris. In the past when my bosses were all French expats, we always ate French even though our French visitors and our sales force probably would have preferred something more down home or touristy like the stuff we're doing this time.

I just called there and asked how busy they are on Sunday nights -- he said not too busy, but for 6 or 8 he would definitely recommend reservations. Ach! I used to be a meeting planner and I know how these things go -- X is coming, he's not coming, Y is a half hour late meeting us in the lobby, X and Z show up after I've cut down the number and we all have to squeeze in & everyone gets snarky. I was hoping we could play it by ear -- oh well, guess I'll take his word for it.

Last chance -- I'm picking up the phone...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

That's fantastic!

I'm still torn because I know these people I'm going with -- we would have to take a cab because after 5 blocks they would get grumpy & turn on me.

I'm starting to think I will have to follow this trip up w/ a vacation to Chicago to do all the stuff I'm missing out on this time. I had no idea!

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I'm still torn because I know these people I'm going with -- we would have to take a cab because after 5 blocks they would get grumpy & turn on me. 

I'm starting to think I will have to follow this trip up w/ a vacation to Chicago to do all the stuff I'm missing out on this time.  I had no idea!

5 blocks! Quel wimps!

Chicago is a wonderful place for a vacation. I live just a 3-hour drive/4-hour train ride away but still don't get there nearly as much as I'd like. Summer is especially wonderful, with outdoor concerts, dancing, etc. There often are good air fares, both regular and weekend "e-savers," from Newark and Philadelphia.

I was tickled to read a post from someone who knows, and knows how to use, "enervated." (Imho, it's one of English's great underused words.)

Hope you have a great time. Keep us posted (literally!) on how it went, ok?

Thanks, everyone! At this point, my boss won't be coming in until after dinnertime, so my pal H (think recovering cheerleader) & I will be on our own. We're supposed to be meeting an ex-coworker D (think Queer Eye runner-up; he's a fashion designer) who is coincidentally staying nearby. The upshot of this development is that instead of having the whole bill taken care of by the GM at the end of the night, we will only get reimbursed for our $19 meal allowance. We could always skip lunch & add that ($11).

So, we don't have to worry about whining (except from H & D) or the French contingent, but the constraint now is budget. Help us eat cheaply and well so we can drink more!

Alex, you caught me -- yup, I'm a former child star. A spelling bee star, that is. I still watch the matches on ESPN2 from time to time -- that and competitive Scrabble & crosswords.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Thanks, everyone!  At this point, my boss won't be coming in until after dinnertime, so my pal H (think recovering cheerleader) & I will be on our own.  We're supposed to be meeting an ex-coworker D (think Queer Eye runner-up; he's a fashion designer) who is coincidentally staying nearby.  The upshot of this development is that instead of having the whole bill taken care of by the GM at the end of the night, we will only get reimbursed for our $19 meal allowance.  We could always skip lunch & add that ($11). 

So, we don't have to worry about whining (except from H & D) or the French contingent, but the constraint now is budget.  Help us eat cheaply and well so we can drink more!

Alex, you caught me -- yup, I'm a former child star.  A spelling bee star, that is.  I still watch the matches on ESPN2 from time to time -- that and competitive Scrabble & crosswords.

Yeah, I'd skip lunch. Here's another option, though I've not been there. The Chicago eG'ers probably have further thoughts. Metromix says, "Get unlimited glasses of wine, complimentary appetizers and belly dance performances (7 and 8:00 p.m.) at Tizi Melloul for $25 per person (excludes tax and gratuity)."

I caught a spelling bee on ESPN2 a couple of months ago. It was fascinating, but painful to see the kids' agony. Did you see "Spellbound?" It breezed through Grand Rapids before I could get to the theater.

Yeah, I'd skip lunch. Here's another option, though I've not been there. The Chicago eG'ers probably have further thoughts. Metromix says, "Get unlimited glasses of wine, complimentary appetizers and belly dance performances (7 and 8:00 p.m.) at Tizi Melloul for $25 per person (excludes tax and gratuity)."

I caught a spelling bee on ESPN2 a couple of months ago. It was fascinating, but painful to see the kids' agony. Did you see "Spellbound?" It breezed through Grand Rapids before I could get to the theater.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I didn't catch Spellbound either -- got really excited when I heard about it but soon forgot.  Plus, until now I haven't actually met anyone who would enjoy that genre -- too bad I'm already taken.

Me too -- to a college prof and daughter of a high school English teacher! :wub: Got books?

It's a shame that kids' competitions so often get fouled up by the adults' competetiveness and need to control.

Yikes!

Heaven on Seven, at 600 N. Michigan Ave.  I think it's a quick cab ride away, but it is definitely worth the small bit of trouble.

You'll have a great Cajun meal at a reasonable price.

Yeah, good place. It's a quick walk, though -- enter at the corner of Ohio and Rush.