• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Allen

First off, I, too am from milwaukee- pewaukee lake to be exact and then wauwatosa...Kopps burgers are very very good - I love the pad of butter they put on in the end...

we considered heavan on seven before your suggestion since it is in the Lowes movie theater - but Signs wasnt playing there and it is a pretty long walk when you are short on time...I love their gumbo however...

Ruths chris we decided was too far...

keefers we will check out when we have more time...

billy goat - too much of a lunch spot and a little too cheesy for us...

so we went to Blackies and, like you said, was good but we werent blown away...but it was a great burger...

and yes we did goto the digital theater at mcclurg...there is no substitute...the movie SIGNS was awesome....

then went to le bar at the Sofitel to meet w some friends..very nice...and then to le Colonial on the balcony for a last drink and a few late night apps...

good night and thanks for the input...

First off, I, too am from milwaukee- pewaukee lake to be exact and then wauwatosa...Kopps burgers are very very good - I love the pad of butter they put on in the end...

we considered heavan on seven before your suggestion since it is in the Lowes movie theater - but Signs wasnt playing there and it is a pretty long walk when you are short on time...I love their gumbo however...

Ruths chris we decided was too far...

keefers we will check out when we have more time...

billy goat - too much of a lunch spot and a little too cheesy for us...

so we went to Blackies and, like you said, was good but we werent blown away...but it was a great burger...

and yes we did goto the digital theater at mcclurg...there is no substitute...the movie SIGNS was awesome....

then went to le bar at the Sofitel to meet w some friends..very nice...and then to le Colonial on the balcony for a last drink and a few late night apps...

good night and thanks for the input...

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

Le Colonial was under consideration for my list. Stilll very good.

The finishing touches are being put on a new restaurant that will open in the hotel Sofitel. I'm not sure of the opening date.

When I mentioned Heaven on Seven, I should have told you that I prefer the location on Wabash that is generally only open for lunch. Jimmy Banos' recipe for orzolaya is delicious. You can also call the restaurant and order the meat, seafood and sausages from the vendors that they use for the restaurants.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the restaurants in Greek Town? My impressions of Greek Town generally conclude at mediocre and touristy. A meal that I had at The Greek Isles last Friday didn't do much to change my thinking. In fairness, I will say that my lamb shishkebob was beautifully prepared--served medium, tender, and juicy. I should have stopped on that good note. I could use their baklava as bait.

I will come to Chicago Saturday ( august 17 ). I already have reservation for all my meals:

-saturday for dinner: Tru

-sunday for brunch: North Pond

-sunday dinner: Trio

-monday lunch: Blackbird

-monday dinner: NoMI

-tuesday lunch: Topolobampo

-tuesday dinner: Spring

Is there anythnig new in Chicago I should check: pastry shop, fine food store, wine bar...?

Patrice Demers

Thank you for your recommendations but, on a previous visit to Chicago last year, I had lunch at NoMI and dinner at Blackbird...both of them were really great!

I didn't had choice for tuesday, Spring isn't open for lunch...

Patrice Demers

Thank you for your recommendations but, on a previous visit to Chicago last year, I had lunch at NoMI and dinner at Blackbird...both of them were really great!

I didn't had choice for tuesday, Spring isn't open for lunch...

In light of that overlooked fact, switching the two would be...difficult (many apologies for the error) :wacko:

make sure you make a stop at Trotters to Go and Fox and Obel if you have time...

Also, get a hot dog at Downtown Dogs...

You might wanna check out Ambria too...for dinner...you could also just do the desert degu at Tru and eat dinner somewhere else...I would skip Nomi altogether..check out big bowl...160 blu...get a burger at Johnnie Rockets...see if you can can into Ch Trotters...just random thoughts...have fun...

• 9 months later...

Hi. My wife and I will be in Chicago this weekend. Outside of going to see the Cubs on Saturday and dinner reservations at Trio on Sunday night we are open for suggestions. We land on Friday in time to have lunch. I have been reading back through the threads and have a pretty good idea of some places that you all like. I'm wondering two things: does anyone have reccomendations for breakfast either Sat, Sun, or Monday, and is there anything specific to this coming weekend that we shouldn't miss? Appreciate any feedback.

Is there food associated with the blues festival?

There is some food, but I would caution you against it. There's no value in it, and it's along the variety of corn and pork chops on sticks. If you do go to the Blues Festival, you will not be far from a number of good places where you can sit down and have a great meal and not have to sit on a curb to enjoy it.

Might I suggest:

Opera (Heartland thread discussing the restaurant and group visit w/follow-up and photos)

Blackbird (links to various discussions provided):

Out of town eGulleteer goes to Blackbird (scroll down)

Thread specifically dedicated to a visit to Blackbird

If you are looking for the obligatory steak dinner:

A discussion of some of eGullet - Chicago's favorite steak houses (GO TO KEEFER'S)

I hope that is helpful.

If you do go to the Blues Festival, bring a blanket for sitting on the grass.

The OPH in Evanston right on the tracks is the Original, original one. And damn fine at that.

We were pulling down drinks at Shula's Steakhouse off the lobby of our hotel last week at the NRA, and Todd, our bartender, gave us a recommendation for a killer Italian Restaurant, on Clark off of Halsted, Mia Francesca.

something like 8 dollars for a platter of great carpaccio, monstrous portions of pasta, soft shell crabs, and a great regional wine list. Not all that expensive if you don't want it to be.

We were pulling down drinks at Shula's Steakhouse off the lobby of our hotel last week at the NRA, and Todd, our bartender, gave us a recommendation for a killer Italian Restaurant, on Clark off of Halsted, Mia Francesca.

Humm, I see a new thread starting! Or maybe Mia Francesca has been discussed at lengh before.

I don't think I'd call it a killer Italian restaurant. I think it's decent, but the wait on the weekends (b/c this is a hot bed for tourist and people coming in town from the suburbs) is usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours long. Not worth it to me, when there are other better places around.

I do hope however that YOU had a wonderful meal there. We can only judge based on our own experiences, so I hope you enjoyed it.

Let us know the next time you're in town, and we'll arange a get together.

Cat in Chicago

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

Humm, I see a new thread starting! Or maybe Mia Francesca has been discussed at lengh before.

I don't think I'd call it a killer Italian restaurant. I think it's decent, but the wait on the weekends (b/c this is a hot bed for tourist and people coming in town from the suburbs) is usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours long. Not worth it to me, when there are other better places around.

I do hope however that YOU had a wonderful meal there. We can only judge based on our own experiences, so I hope you enjoyed it.

Let us know the next time you're in town, and we'll arange a get together.

Cat in Chicago

well, cat of chicago... It was killer because A) It was good food, B) someone else was paying, and C) at the end of a long day at the Food show, it was comfort food, and it reminded me fully of eating around the table with my family in Italy.

And being that our friend is a tourist, why not? It's also a hotbed for Cubs traffic, just a couple blocks away.

I'll be in town in a couple weeks, maybe the first or second weekend in June. Gotta find a place to live.

*edit- yes, if the previous wording sounds coarse, it's not intended to be. I'll meet up with you soon, I'm sure.

And ask the bartenders where they like to go. They want a good tip, so they'll set you up good somewhere, as long as you know what kind of food you want to eat. Also, do NOT eat at anything labeled "Char-house". Got it?

Edited by T. Brooks (log)

well, cat of chicago... It was killer because A) It was good food, B) someone else was paying, and C) at the end of a long day at the Food show, it was comfort food, and it reminded me fully of eating around the table with my family in Italy.

As long as you enjoyed it, that's all that really matters. We all bring our personal experiences/histories with us when we go out to eat, so someone can love a place that I hate. And of course vis versa. And I don't hate Mia Francesca, I just think that there are better places around. But if you had a good dinning experience, that is what going out is all about.

Next time you're here, maybe I can nudge you over to Tuscany. That's one of my favorites.

I look forward to meeting you when you move to town. And since I only live about 5 blocks from Wrigley Field, I'm always up for getting people to meet for a Cubs game! After spending hours in the hot sun watching a game, joking with friends, drinking too much beer and eating hotdogs - it's soooo nice to be able to just walk home :raz:

Cat in Chicago

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

The OPH in Evanston right on the tracks is the Original, original one. And damn fine at that.

something like 8 dollars for a platter of great carpaccio, monstrous portions of pasta, soft shell crabs, and a great regional wine list. Not all that expensive if you don't want it to be.

Mia Francesca is an Italian restaurant? :blink:

No need to elaborate, just tell me where the real deal is. Also, any thoughts about someplace called the Abby Pub? Waco Bros. are playing there on Saturday night. Metromix says the show starts at 11:30. In NYC, if it says 11:30, it means 1 AM. Is this true in Chicago also?