• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Allen

:cool:

Damn all, but that looks wonderful. Wish I'd been able to keep in touch with the folks who knew where it all was going. Ah well: Only two restaurants barely scratch the surface, Tommy sir. Do come back to town soon, and I'll try to keep up.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

i approve of the beer that was consumed

thank you very much :smile:

Mythos at Greek Islands

Negra Modela and Bohemia were purchased for Nuevo Leon

Still approve? :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

i approve of the beer that was consumed

thank you very much :smile:

Mythos at Greek Islands

Negra Modela and Bohemia were purchased for Nuevo Leon

Still approve? :wink:

=R=

i disapprove of beers being given pretentious names like mythos. however, negro modela and bohemia are beyond reproach. you chicagoans seem to have respect for beer--this makes me want to visit. please start up a ticket fund for me--and don't be cheap, i like the first-class travel.

• 6 months later...

Hullo there from Clerkenwell, London, England. I was wondering if I could get you lovely egulleters to help me out...

I'm meeting my mom and sis in Chicago next weekend. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza Silversmith on South Wabash Avenue and planning to spent most of our time either at the Art Instititute or in Marshall Field's :biggrin:

However, we will have to take a break and eat at some point! I was wondering if you all had any recommendations for restaurants and cafes in the area. I'm not too bothered for lunch but I'd love to pre-book a nice Saturday night dinner out for the three of us...I'm looking for someplace within walking distance and reasonably priced (mains not over $25). My personal inclination is towards mexican (coz I can't get any decent enchiladas in London) but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Elizabeth

AKA Izabel

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

The obvious choices for Mexican, not too far to walk (or a short cab ride) would be Frontera Grill or its more formal next-of-kin, Topolabampo (both 445 N Clark St.).  Chilpancingo (358 W. Ontario) and Salpicon (1252 N. Wells) are also excellent, upscale Mexicans, probably more a short cab ride rather than a walk from S. Wabash.

Other ideas off the top of my head are Russian Tea Time (77 E. Adams - almost directly across the street from the Art Institute), and The Berghoff (17 W. Adams - more for great old atmosphere than for the food). I'm sure others will have more ideas.

'Fraid you'll need to leave the AI neighborhood for genuine Mexican, but there's a lot to be had. Chicago is a very easy city to get around, so go exploring!

Carnitas Uruapan

1725 W 18th St, Pilsen

30 years makin pork ion the Michoacan style. They'll give you a taste before you order.

La Oaxaquena

3382 N Milwaukee Ave, Kilbourn park

Awesome spoes and ceviche

La Pasadita

1132, 1140, and 1141 N Ashland Ave, Noble Square

3 locations practically right next door to each other, they have awesome tacos with no fillers like iceberg lettuce. Just meat with chopped oinions & cilantro.

La Quebrada

4859 W Roosevelt Rd, Cicero

Try the catfish - filete de chipotle

Restaurante y Pozoleria San Juan

1523 N Pulaski, Humboldt Park

As the name imples, get the pozole

Salpicon

1252 N Wells, Old Town

Upscale, contemporary Mexican, menu changes weekly

Adobo Grill

1610 N Wells, Old Town

Guacamole, tableside.

Ixcapuzalco

2919 N Milwaukee Ave, Logan Square

Chef Geno worked with Rick Bayless (Topolobampo/Frontera grill) for 12 years

Nuevo Leon

1515 West 18th St, Pilsen

Very possibly the best, most genuine Mexican in Chicago

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Many of the Mexican places are very far away.Cafe Allegro is very close and across the street from Marshall Field's. Very nice food but not Mexican. The kinds of places that are the best for Mexican have low rents and of course, that is not the Loop or Michigan Avenue. Gioco is Italian and not too expensive. It is in the South Loop. You could take a short cab ride to RHumba which has Pan Latin and dancing after 9:30 or National 27 which is also Pan Latin. Not as authentic as some of the places mentioned but easier to get to . The Mexican restaurant on Superior is fancy but supposed to be quite good. i have only eaten lunch there. There is an Emelio's tapas on Ohio, I think.

Gee, I saw the post above on Mexican places, and I was, like wow, good list (until I noticed the list was a little too familiar looking--but yes, the Slow Food Guide to Chicago IS a good resource.) Still, as the originator of some of those recomendations in that book, I had to immodestly try to figure out how to get my EG account working again.

OK, blah, blah, blah.

While I think the list above is pretty cool, many of those places, like for instance, the great La Quebrada, is pretty inaccessible without wheels.

Where *I* would suggest, is the Sunday flea market/Mexican food extravaganza that is the Maxwell Street (actually on Canal Street). There are several good reports on Maxwell Street on the Internet, this is one of the better:

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=889

Rob

Taxis are inexpensive in Chicago and as long as you have an address (rather than just the name of the restaurant) you will be fine. I would eat at Frontera /Topolabampo (famous chef-Rick Bayless) for high end Mexican food and great margaritas. Or if you are a bit adventurous, go to El Nuevo Leon in the Pilsen neighborhood ($10 cab fare). It is an authentic no frills Mexican diner (no liquor license) with friendly service and terrific food.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

. . . It is an authentic  no frills Mexican diner (no liquor license) with friendly service and terrific food.

It is BYO and happily, there are plenty of Cerveza Fria opportunities on that block, so picking something up is a breeze.

Check out this thread for more information:

Nuevo Leon

=R=

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chicagoans

Just a quick note to say thank you for all of the advice. We wound up having many memorable meals in your fabulous city, the best of which was at the bar at the Frontera Grill...wow!

Also must say how much I enjoyed the city-- great architecture, great food and friendly people. I will be back.

Cheers from London

Elizabeth

aka Izabel

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

• 3 months later...

The Chicago Tribune is accepting nominations for the "7 Wonders of Chicago", more details here.

A Chicago professor recently referred to a particular piece of public art as “One of the Seven Wonders of Chicago.” The professor gave no hint as to what the other six might be; and, in fact, there is no list of Seven Wonders of Chicago.

But there should be. There must be. And you can help.

So I was thinking, given the quality and quantity of food in this town, an eating establishment has to make the list.

But, the question is, which way do you approach the question...

Charlie Trotters for its contribution to elevating American cuisine?

The Wiener Circle for, well, helping drunk people get abused?

The Burghoff?

Morton's?

Alinea?

What do you all think? What Chicago restaurant/establishment would qualify as a "wonder" of Chicago?

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Or, do you go another route? I was thinking that maybe some specific Chicago-style food items are among our city's 7 wonders, like the Italian Beef sandwich or the Chicago-style hot dog. Of course, on that note, perhaps Superdawg is one of Chicago's 7 wonders.

Interesting query. :smile:

=R=

For Chicago architecture, it's the Rookery Building, Burnham and Root 1888. For a Chicago wonder, I respectfully suggest you put the Dawg and the pizza well behind the Italian Beef sandwich. Mr. Beef on Orleans in the high temple, but it's hard to go wrong anywhere.

For a turn of the last century Chicago frisson, and a darn good 12 buck schnitzel, with excellent beer, it's the Berghoff.

I'll let richer people than I discuss the merits of Tru, Trotter's, Alinea, Green Zebra, Spring, etc. Depending on their recs you could get to seven in a Chicago minute.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...

The Chicago hot dog has been named the Seventh Wonder of Chicago, here.

Not much in this world is perfect.

The Chicago hot dog is perfect.

Boiled or steamed, not grilled, it lies regally in a lightly steamed poppy-seed bun and is annointed with:

Diced onion

Tomato wedges

Pickle relish the color of Kryptonite

Yellow mustard

A few sport peppers

A dill pickle spear

A shake of celery salt

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

The Chicago hot dog has been named the Seventh Wonder of Chicago, here.
Not much in this world is perfect.

The Chicago hot dog is perfect.

Boiled or steamed, not grilled, it lies regally in a lightly steamed poppy-seed bun and is annointed with:

Diced onion

Tomato wedges

Pickle relish the color of Kryptonite

Yellow mustard

A few sport peppers

A dill pickle spear

A shake of celery salt

A brilliant choice, if I do say so myself. :wink::biggrin:

=R=

• 2 months later...

My family goes to Chicago twice a year (Thanksgiving and 4th of July) to visit my husband's parents, and while we're there my husband and I take the opportunity to have a nice meal out. Our previous two visits, we've gone to Green Zebra. I *love* Green Zebra, but I'd like to try someplace different. My criteria are: Budget under $300 including tax and tip. My husband's a vegetarian, so we need someplace veg-friendly (doesn't have to be as friendly as Green Zebra, but vegetarian food should be more than an afterthought. I hate going out for a fancy dinner when he ends up with a plate of pasta or a collection of the evening's side dishes.) I like a lively atmosphere better than hushed formality. We both prefer a-la-carte ordering to tasting menus. Browsing through the threads here, it looks as though Cafe Spiaggia or Topolobampo might be good possibilities. Any other ideas? (Also, places don't have to be in the city necessarily. We're staying in Wilmette, so northern suburbs are okay as well.)

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch