• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Allen

Not mentioned yet is Avec. It'll appeal to your NYC sensibilities but is sufficiently different than most small plate restaurants.

Bongo Room for brunch is also unique. As best I know there's nothing quite like it in NYC.

The pizza places nxstasy mentions are real solid for a hearty lunch, but I'm not sure they're worthy of a dinner, if that makes sense.

If you're staying in the Loop, don't miss Custom House -- it's a short, appetite-inducing stroll from any hotel. Even if you're staying on Michigan Ave., it's worth a six buck taxi ride. I loved NoMi as well.

But, geez, it's not all pizza and hot dogs! Chicago Italian beef is a must, and I direct you to its temple, Mr. Beef on N. Orleans.

If you have time for cocktails and duck meatballs (and who can't) direct your feet or taxi to The Violet Hour.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

For pizza there is nothing better than Vito & Nicks on the southside.

www.vitoandnick.com

It is a trek from downtown, but way worth the drive. They make the thinnest most excellent pies cut into squares. The pies are a down home work of art. Nothing fancy here but it does not need to be.

It also has a ton of good mojo: shag carpet on the walls, old timers hanging around at the bar, family run place that's been open for years and years. It is a classic.

The first time I went was straight from O'Hare, starving and a little cranky. We didn't know the best way to get there, which would be the freeway (really easy and pretty fast), so we drove down MLK which not only took about three days, it was also a real eye opener.

Vito & Nick's just has a vibe that is so hard to find. Get the 'special' which is sausage, mushrooms, onion and peppers. Perfection! Of course, a pitcher of beer is a necessity.

Then we went to Alinea for dinner!

A great day.

If you can't make it to the south side, John's on the north side does the same style-thin crust cut into squares, and 4 small wedges. I am not sure where exactly it is since I usually have it delivered. (I'm sure some eGuletter knows off the top of their head) I second the Sausage, mushroom, onion, pepper combo. I prefer this style to the deep dish most of the time because it is suprisingly light. You can split a pie in the mid afternoon when you are peckish, and still do serious damage to a "tour" at night.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Not mentioned yet is Avec.  It'll appeal to your NYC sensibilities but is sufficiently different than most small plate restaurants.

Avec is a small plate restaurant that is next door to its sister restaurant, Blackbird. Both serve contemporary American food. Avec is open Sunday; Blackbird is not. Avec does not accept reservations, and wait times can be long at prime times. Also you should know that they have communal seating, so don't be surprised when you're seated at the same table as strangers. The food is excellent, but I find those other aspects off-putting; maybe you won't mind.

The pizza places nxstasy mentions are real solid for a hearty lunch, but I'm not sure they're worthy of a dinner, if that makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense. When you're here, trying to fit in as much as possible when trying our foods, you can have some of our delicious deep-dish pizza for lunch, then do something else for dinner. However, if you follow this strategy, beware of portion sizes, as our pizzas are thicker (obviously) and denser than New York style thin crust pizza. The portion sizes shown on the menus of our places are full dinner portions. Two slices of pizza in New York are a light lunch. Two slices of Chicago deep-dish pizza will leave you FULL. So go early and/or don't stuff yourself if you want to leave room for a dinner somewhere else later the same day.

Oh, and don't waste your time here on thin-crust pizza. You can get plenty of that at home. You can't get our delicious deep-dish pizza in New York. No wonder that most Chicagoans prefer deep-dish to thin crust (as noted in a recent Chicago Tribune poll).

We are staying at the W Chicago City Center

That's at 172 W. Adams in the Loop, the commercial center of our greater downtown area. The nearest place for deep-dish pizza is Giordano's, only about a block away at 223 W. Jackson. They serve the "stuffed" double-crust style pizza. (It's my favorite of all the Chicago deep-dish pizzas, although I like all of the ones I mentioned.) If you're looking for single-crust "pan" pizza, the nearest place is Pizano's on Madison, two blocks north and four blocks east of the W. Pizano's is particularly convenient if you're walking east to the Art Institute (our largest and most famous art museum) and/or Millennium Park (our new, beautiful downtown park, home of "the bean" Cloud Gate sculpture, Frank Gehry-designed bandshell, "face obelisks", etc).

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

1.) A Wreck is a signature sandwhitch at Potbelly's. Lots of meat, hot peppers, ect. Yum. If you split one it will just take the edge off your hunger without getting in the way of ant serious gluttony planned later in the night.

I must take acception to your comment about Chicago thin crust. It is in no way shape and form a "waste of time." It is a different animal from NYC thin crust and very tasty in it's own right. It is almost more interesting for a New Yorker to compare NYC/Chi thin crusts than to compare our thin crust to Chicago's Deep dish. Comparing Chicago thin and stuffed/deep dish is like comparing apples and oranges. I think of Stuffed Pizza as a closer kin to Lasagne than pizza.

I must take acception to your comment about Chicago thin crust.  It is in no way shape and form a "waste of time."  It is a different animal from NYC thin crust and very tasty in it's own right.    It is almost more interesting for a New Yorker to compare NYC/Chi thin crusts than to compare our thin crust to Chicago's Deep dish. Comparing Chicago thin and stuffed/deep dish is like comparing apples and oranges.  I think of Stuffed Pizza as a closer kin to Lasagne than pizza.

And I must take exception to these comments. I think most Chicago thin crust pizza is BORING!!! Whether it's cracker crisp or bready or authentic neapolitan, it is just not worth wasting time on in a short trip to our city. Deep-dish pizza, OTOH, is our unique local specialty, what made Chicago famous for its pizza. You still can't get it anywhere else (whereas you can get all the different styles of thin crust anywhere you go). It's FAR more interesting for a New Yorker to try the delicious deep-dish pizza our city is famous for, than to waste time on thin-crust pizza you can get in thin crust specialty restaurants you can find any other big city, including at home in New York. Again, it's no wonder most Chicagoans prefer our wonderful deep-dish pizza to thin crust.

If you're coming to Chicago for the first time, deep-dish pizza is THE thing to try. Wasting your time on thin crust here is like asking where you can find the best hamburger. Sure, some places have a better burger than others, but you really ought to try the food a city is famous for, the food you can't get anywhere else. And that's deep-dish all the way.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

As you can tell, the pizza thing depends who you ask. Some people will say that deep dish is the only way to go, while others will tell you that the "real" Chicago pizza is thin crust (not meaning NY style or Neapolitan).

Personally, I'm no fan of deep dish (having grown up in NJ), but your mileage may vary.

Also, do go to Avec.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

As you can tell, the pizza thing depends who you ask.  Some people will say that deep dish is the only way to go, while others will tell you that the "real" Chicago pizza is thin crust (not meaning NY style or Neapolitan). 

Personally, I'm no fan of deep dish (having grown up in NJ), but your mileage may vary.

Also, do go to Avec.

Yes, do go to Avec, which I also mentioned in reply to your post about The Violet Hour. One of the best dining/drinking nights I've had in awhile - TVH for early drinks and apps, followed up with Jamon Iberico, braised pork shoulder, and the fish of the day at Avec.

I second the recommendation for Super Dawg and will throw one in for Hot Doug's.

I'll also add Sol de Mexico to the list - very good moles. (Yes, yes, I know that Frontera/Topolobampo is usually what is recommended, but this is 10 minutes from my house, doesn't have a wait, and is BYO). Our out of town guests always like it.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

FWIW, I love deep-dish pizza - and I grew up in NJ too. (What exit? 153.)

I'll also add Sol de Mexico to the list - very good moles.  (Yes, yes, I know that Frontera/Topolobampo is usually what is recommended, but this is 10 minutes from my house, doesn't have a wait, and is BYO).  Our out of town guests always like it.

Sol de Mexico is extremely inconvenient geographically for anyone staying in the Loop, particularly if you don't have a car. Personally I found Sol de Mexico disappointing; while the menu is exciting - I love moles and they have a nice assortment - I found the execution rather bland. I think the Bayless places and Salpicon, which are all convenient to the Loop, are equally good. The very best Mexican restaurant that I've been to in the Chicago area is Flamingo's Seafood in suburban Mount Prospect, not far from O'Hare, which unfortunately is also inconvenient geographically if you don't have a car. The Bayless places are closed Sundays; the others mentioned here are open Sundays. For a more lengthy discussion of our most creative Mexican restaurants, click here.

I think that the food is more impressive at North Pond or Custom House than at the Mexican places (other than Flamingo's, anyway) - IOW you're more likely to think back to what a fantastic dinner you had there - but the Mexican places are more different from what you have available back home.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

For what it's worth I like all styles of pizza. The Cracker Crust style is probably my least favorite, but I've had a couple that were amazing. Good pizza rules, Bad pizza sucks. I have had pizza in Nepal, on a trek near Annapurna, that was fantastic. It could have been due to the view, the 8 hours of hiking I'd just finished, or the cold beer that went with it, or that Dal was not involved in any way, but in my memory it brought me the very short distance to heaven. .

My girl friend was just in NYC, she was born and bred in Chicago, and she found most of the pizza here uninspiring. The exception was the White Pie at Totono's in Coney.

So I hope we can agree to disagree, and we have sparked enough debate that Purple Pirate will try them all and report back.

I must also throw my lot in with the pro-Avec contingent. If there is just two of you ask if the "chef's table" is available. You get to see your food being made, and you are served by them.

Alchemist, I totally know what you're saying about the pies being light enough to lunch on and then do something like the Tour at Alinea. It seems to go against what you'd think but it is totally true.

The thick/thin crust thing is really a matter of personal taste. I think there are good versions of both to be found, I just prefer the thin kind. Not so down with the cracker crust kind though. I don't like pizza that breaks!

Vito & Nick's also has super yummy anchovies on the side and hot peppers. (I can never keep the name of that place straight, though. I always think it's Vick & Neato-s, which works too, I guess. That's my dyslexia hard at work)

We loved their pie's so much we took two home frozen. Just as delicious back home. We will for sure be making the pilgrimage once more when we are there in a week or so.

Yes, I know there are many other topics in the past on this subject.  I am looking for the most current information possible.

My gf got me a reservation for the two of us at Alinea for a Christmas present.  Thanks babe!

Basically, we will be in Chicago all day Saturday and all day Sunday.  No other reservations have been made.

Her first time in Chicago.  My second...but first was 15+ years ago.

I am looking for some pizza, hot dog etc suggestions. 

Also, a good place to have dinner on a Sunday night.  Money not really an issue.

We are staying downtown.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know if I'm too late or not, but hubby and I did a long weekend in Chicago in October and photographed everything - look here: thread

We also dined at Alinea (there's a link in the other thread to those photos) - prepare to be amazed and pleased!

Have a great trip and report back to us!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

My husband and I will be in Chicago (finally!) next weekend (Fri - Sun) so I have read this thread with interest. We originally had reservations at Trotters and Alinea but had to change our dates (and lost our Alinea reservation in the process). Also, after a very recent weekend in NYC which included Jean-Georges and Per Se (on my! to both - simply stunning) we are more in the mood for interesting food where we can try a lot of different things rather than tasting menus (both waists and wallets feel the same way here). We are planning Custom House for lunch on Friday and Blackbird for dinner that night. We are staying at the W Lakeside to the extent it matters.

What is the scoop on ODOM? I am thinking maybe Avec on Sunday for an early dinner before catching our plane? I like seasonal ingredients prepared in an interesting manner if that helps narrow the options. I am not adverse to bar dining if the real food can be had at the bar -- a few plates here and a few there would be great if it would let me see more of Chicago. No pizza or hotdogs this trip.

Thanks for your help!

We are planning Custom House for lunch on Friday and Blackbird for dinner that night.

Great choices, as long as you can handle two big meals in the same day. But see below.

What is the scoop on ODOM?

I assume you are referring to OTOM, the lower-priced restaurant a few doors down from, and opened by the former sous-chef at, Moto.

I haven't been there - sorry - but if you're interested in reading a review in the Tribune, click here.

I am thinking maybe Avec on Sunday for an early dinner before catching our plane? I like seasonal ingredients prepared in an interesting manner if that helps narrow the options.

Well, going to two sister restaurants, Avec and Blackbird, on the same trip strikes me as redundant. Not that there's anything wrong with either, it's just that having somewhat similar food from the same chef, two days apart, well... If I were you, I would consider one of the following changes to your itinerary to avoid this duplication:

1. You could change your Friday night dinner to someplace else. one sixtyblue is absolutely wonderful, with food maybe even slightly better than Blackbird if such a thing is possible. I like the experience too - it's a bit less noisy and frantic, and I find the decor to be warmer and less stark. Another possibility is North Pond, which specializes in local and seasonal ingredients and has excellent food from James Beard nominee Chef Bruce Sherman. One advantage of North Pond is its exquisite location; as mentioned above, it's in the middle of Lincoln Park (the actual park, not the surrounding neighborhood). Before it was renovated into a restaurant, the building served as the warming shelter for ice skaters on its namesake pond, which it faces, with the city skyline looming over the opposite shore. One dining room has floor-to-ceiling windows facing the pond; even the other dining room, with the open kitchen along one side, is a pleasant place to dine. Bottom line, I think the food at North Pond is excellent, but it's even better at one sixtyblue; the contemporary decor at one sixtyblue is appealing, but the unique setting and historical nature of North Pond is captivating.

2. You could leave your Friday night dinner at Blackbird, but change your Sunday dining plans to someplace else other than Avec. North Pond (see previous paragraph) is open for Sunday brunch as well as Sunday dinner. Another possibility is Lula, which also is open for Sunday brunch as well as Sunday dinner. It, too, specializes in local and seasonal ingredients. It is located in Logan Square, right at the el stop on the Blue Line if you happen to be taking the el to O'Hare.

OTOM, one sixtyblue, and North Pond accept reservations on opentable.com You will have to call Blackbird or Lula for reservations. Avec doesn't accept reservations, of course.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

My boyfriend and I are driving to Chicago to dine at Alinea in a few weeks (I am chomping at the bit to be on our way!), unfortunately we can only manage to arrange an overnight trip therefore are limited in the amount of culinary time we can spend. I would love some advice on some great breakfast and lunch places for Thursday and Friday afternoon. We don't mind casual or upscale, and like all types of food, the more creative or authentic, the better. The last time we were in town we did the casual thing and hit Gino's East and Mr. Beef. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't mention where (what city neighborhood or suburban town) you'll be staying; if you do, we can provide recommendations for something in the vicinity.

My favorite breakfast place in the city is Bongo Room. They have all kinds of egg and pancake specialties. They have one location in the South Loop (Wabash and Roosevelt) and the other in Wicker Park. Details and sample menus are here.

If you're on the north side, a place I like almost as much is M. Henry, in Andersonville.

In the north and northwest suburbs, any location of Walker Brothers is pure bliss. Get the big puffed-up apple pancake.

For lunch, it really depends on what you like (and again, what neighborhood you're in). You can get everything from deep-dish pizza, to contemporary American (Blackbird and Aigre Doux are open for lunch), to Greek in Greek Town, or Frontera Grill or Topolobampo for Mexican, or Lao Sze Chuan for Chinese in Chinatown, or Italian...

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Zaiqa has some seriously good Pakistani food and they're open more or less all the time. You're likely to be the only person there who isn't a taxi driver. Nihari for breakfast is a beautiful thing...

Wow, this is a tough call. We visited Chicago for a long weekend in October (and also dined at Alinea - you are in for an amazing experience) - it is so hard to pick out just one or two places. My thread describing our wonderful eats (with pictures) is here.

I have to say the food that wowed me most was Tac Quick - a dumpy looking Thai place with amazing food.

Since you are going to be downtown - and if you have a car - you could do a little tour as we did and hit Italian Beef, local sausage, local Hispanic pork and Chinatown in one late-morning to afternoon, as we did.

We enjoyed Frontera Grill. We arrived shortly before they opened, and didn't have to wait long for a table at all.

Nsxtasy joined us for some of our adventures, and I would totally trust his recommendations, as well.

Have a great trip and report back!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food