• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Allen

My family goes to Chicago twice a year (Thanksgiving and 4th of July) to visit my husband's parents, and while we're there my husband and I take the opportunity to have a nice meal out.

My wife recently visited Chicago. She was a little underwhelmed with Topolobampo this time around. Perhaps it was an off night.

She had a wonderful time at North Pond, though, and is still raving about it.

I don't think she got to any of the really trendy places like Alinea or Blackbird.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Josh is right. Spring would be a great choice. As would North Pond. Mentioned upthread but not recommended was Blackbird. Let me officially recommend it -- or its companion restaurant, Avec. They're both turning out great food and will meet your budgetary requirements.

Another spot with a seafood bent, about which I'm hearing a lot of great things (although I've never been there personally) is Scylla. In fact, I've heard only positive things about it and the comments have come from a fairly diverse group of folks.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Since you're staying in Wilmette, I think Trio Atelier in Evanston would be an ideal choice. They have quite a few vegetarian options, including an absolutely delicious white truffle chiffon (a very light truffle-flavored egg custard), decadent French-style gnocchi (sometimes served with meat, which they could omit), and onion/chevre tart--among numerous other options. Mary McMahon's desserts are top-notch, too. Price and style is exactly in the range you're seeking. The general format is "create your own 4-course tasting menu," but we usually end up ordering a bunch of things from all over the menu and pass them around.

What's great is that you can devise whatever type of meal you want--just snacks and dessert or a multicourse extravaganza. They do offer a nightly tasting menu (with wine pairings) and I'm sure they could put together a vegetarian version if you let them know ahead of time. I really love Chef Dale's hearty Central/Eastern European touches he incorporates into many of the dishes--"haute comfort food." Killer pommes frites, too (with wasabi tobiko caviar dip)...these fries that are truly worth paying $7 an order.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone again for their advice. I'm afraid I ended up ignoring it. My altruistic desire for my husband to have as good a meal as mine was surpassed by my selfish desire for a big slab o' meat and a chance to try the next big thing. We went to Custom House. My quail appetizer, short rib, and gratin potato were excellent. My husband fared better than I expected with a very good risotto, roasted trumpet mushrooms, baby beet salad, and truffled fingerling potatoes.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Josh is right.  Spring would be a great choice.  As would North Pond.  Mentioned upthread but not recommended was Blackbird.  Let me officially recommend it -- or its companion restaurant, Avec.  They're both turning out great food and will meet your budgetary requirements.

Another spot with a seafood bent, about which I'm hearing a lot of great things (although I've never been there personally) is Scylla.  In fact, I've heard only positive things about it and the comments have come from a fairly diverse group of folks.

=R=

I know I'm too late to help out munchymom... but for future readers, I agree whole heartily with =R='s recommendations. =R= - we should dine together! As for Scylla, I sigh... I never made it during my three month gig in Chicago this summer.

North Pond and Blackbird being especially great... I've been to Spring once - about a year ago, and it was fantastic. Chef McClain personally cooked me a seven-course meal (so maybe my opinion is slightly biased... :laugh: )... but I have heard raves from all of my friends whom I have sent there...

I'm sorry I can't say the same for Spring's sister restaurant... Green Zebra I found terribly (overpriced) crowded, noisy, and minimalist - in quantity... :sad:

As for Avec - great place if you don't mind sitting at a bar or the "volume 13" atmosphere... service can be sassy, but efficient. Prices though, I gripe... :hmmm:

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 5 months later...

Here's a brief -- and definitely incomplete -- list of nicer places in the city where I've eaten recently enough, that I think are worthy. And you should be able to find info about all of them here by searching the forum:

Avec

Avenues

Blackbird

Butter

Custom House

Frontera Grill

Green Zebra

NaHa

Schwa

Spring

Sweets & Savories

Topolobampo

Tru (search on 'Gand')

Giving us some parameters of what your specific interests are will definitely help produce replies. :smile:

=R=

No Parameters. I am open to everything except steak houses. I tend to prefer sleepers to big celebrity chef places, and unusual flavors to tried and true french cooking. I forgot about Tru...is it difficult to get res. on a short notice? Also any drink spots and lounges? I'd ask about Jazz clubs but that would be way off topic.....Also if any eGers wants to get together, drop me a PM.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Reduced to NoMi, anyone know anything of it?  All the restaurants on Ronnie's list are closed.  Avec is not answering.

Avec, which is definitely open on Mondays, opens in just a few minutes; around 3:30 pm CT. Blackbird is also open on Mondays.

NoMi has a solid reputation but I really cannot recall reading any reports from there since Chef Gamba left. New chef is Christophe David and he's been there about a year.

Custom House is definitely open on Mondays.

Here's a link to a thread where Chicago restaurants which are open on Mondays are discussed. In spite of its age, it seems fairly accurate:

Chicago Dining on Mondays, looking for the best

=R=

I think the extra difficulties is compounded by the fact that it's Memorial Day.

Probably so. 2 places I often recommend on the casual/ethnic side are Greek Islands (Halsted and Adams) and Nuevo Leon (18th Street). They both turn out excellent food -- with decent atmosphere -- for a very reasonable price.

=R=

Schwa would have likely not been an option anyway as I called last week and their booked to August. :blink:

Arrgh! I had read about this place here on eG and really gotten pumped for our visit June 19-21st. Their voice mail box is full and after some repeated tries I got through but they are also at the Aspen Food and Wine fest at that time. Really disappointed.

• 4 months later...

I've offered to find some dinner recommendations for some friends who are heading to Chicago in a couple weeks. Many of the places I would normally point people to are at least a little outside their desired dollar amount, so I thought I'd solicit input.

They are looking to spend only about $50/couple, NOT including wine or cocktails. This is a getaway weekend for parents to leave kids at home, so ideally it would be some place with a nicer atmosphere than the places you tend to go when you have kids. But it doesn't have to be fancy.

They might be interested in one splurge meal up to say $60 or $75 per couple, especially if I can offer a corresponding cheaper but also good meal for another night.

They are staying downtown, I can't remember exactly where.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

What about ethnic?

Nicer than usual Mexican storefronts with creative cuisine include Fonda del Mar and Sol de Mexico.

Palmito is Costa Rican with good food in a pretty room.

We've got lots of great Thai places; it's not fancy, but you can't beat the food at Sticky Rice. For a nicer atmosphere, though tamer fare, you might try Ruby of Siam in Skokie.

Khan BBQ is hectic, crowded and slapdash, but the tandoor-cooked fare is amazing and cheap and it does have a glorious crystal chandelier. There are some fancier spots on Devon as well.

It has no atmosphere but Lao Sze Chuan is terrific.

Almost anywhere in Greektown would fit the budget, too.

Fonda del Mar

773/489-3748

3749 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago

Sol de Mexico

773/282-4119

3018 N. Cicero Ave., Chicago

Palmito

773/248-3087

3605 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago

Sticky Rice

773/588-0133

4018 N. Western Ave., Chicago

Ruby of Siam

847/675-7008

www.rubyofsiam.com

Fashion Square, 9420 Skokie Blvd., Skokie

Khan B.B.Q. Restaurant

773/338-2800

2401 W. Devon Ave., Chicago

Lao Sze Chuan

312/326-5040

www.laoszechuan.com

Chinatown Square Mall, 2172 S. Archer Ave., Chicago

LAZ

Kiki's Bistro, on N. Franklin in River North

Chez Joel, on W. Taylor in Little Italy

West Town Tavern, on W. Chicago in Ukrainian Village

All are are a short cab ride from downtown and are walking distance from the El, if that's their preference.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

LAZ has great suggestions - I'd also recommend ethnic, since the city has so many great ethnic places. To her list, I'll add:

Ed's Potsticker House - Northern Chinese (ask for the Chinese menu w. English translations)

3139 S. Halsted St.

(312) 326-6898

Al's #1 Italian Beef

1079 W. Taylor St. (little Italy)

(312) 226-4017

Taqueria la Oaxaquena - Mexican, specifically from Oaxaca

3382 N. Milwaukee Ave.

(773) 545-8585

Laschet's Inn - classic German

2119 W. Irving Park Rd.

(773) 478-7915

TAC Quick - highly authentic Thai food (ask for the Thai menu)

3930 N. Sheridan Rd.

(773) 327-5253

Honey 1 Barbeque - the most accessible true BBQ (i.e. unlike many of the great southside BBQ places, you don't have to order though bulletproof glass and eat off the hood of your car - they have a real dining room!)

2241 N. Western St.

(773) 227-5130

Think Cafe - a more refined experience, contemporary, with an Italian accent - next to Honey 1 - BYOB

2235 N. Western Ave., Chicago

(773) 394-0537

Podhalanka Polksa Restauracja - Chicago is the greatest source of Polish food in the Western Hemisphere

1549 W. Division Ave.

(773) 486-6655

Hae Woon Dae - outstanding Korean Barbeque over live coals in a nondescript strip mall

6240 N. California Ave.

(773) 764-8018

Cafe Laguardia - excellent Cuban

2111 W. Armitage Ave.

(773) 862-5996

there are many more ...

Great lists, as always, LAZ and nr706! Thank you for the input.

To second some of your suggestions, I especially enjoy Lao Sze Chuan, Khan B.B.Q., Al's and Hae Woon Dae. LaGuardia is also usually excellent, although my last trip there (about a year ago) was just ok.

=R=