• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showstopper Jello Desserts

TrishCT

It was done as you would expect, with each new layer needing to be jelled before the next layer (cooled first) was applied. But she did something visually dynamic and very unjello-like: in between each colorful layer was a very thin layer of plain unflavored jello that had been made with the addition of milk, so that the layer was pure white. It was really quite beautiful and had at least 12 layers total, including the white ones.

the original posting i think uses yogurt or sour cream in the clear jello to make the white layers, either way, sounds good. chinese almond jello would be a good white layer as well!

If the idea of commercial artificial jello turns you off (as it does me) you can easily make your own fruit jellos with gelatin and various kinds of fruit juice. (Not pineapple I think--it has some kind of enzyme in it that messes up the jelling.) Pomegranate and cranberry would be nice.

canned pineapple juice works fine because it has been cooked/pasteurized. this kills the enzyme that deactivates gelatin. that's why you can used canned pineapple pieces in jello molds. any of the tropical fruits that have that enzyme can be cooked to deactivate.

edited to fix tags

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Something I see more often in Japan than anywhere else is cubes or stamped-out shapes of jelly suspended in jelly of another color. The cut-outs are usually made in a firmer jelly, with the surrounding jelly slightly softer.

For example...cubes of coffee jelly in milk jelly...star-shaped cut-outs of pale-blue mint flavored jelly in a clear soda jelly...cubes of various colors of jelly in a light-colored jelly.

OMG thanks you guys I am thinking a bloody mary aspic in a GIANT shot glass now ...I suck at Jell-O!!!

those flowers in that mold are out of this world I am so humbled now that I have tried to make the rainbow I can not even imagine anything else

I would have just loved to have seen that up close how beautiful!

I may try this

broken glass for my very last effort and make the white part with coconut milk and knox with white rum... the broken glass in tropical flavors also with white rum

but I am not doing anything with any Jell-O for a few days ..I have to detox now and drink mineral water or something

I feel very overwhelmed when I wake up and think in rainbows :P

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

From the article:

Later, I met the woman behind the art, Chef Honoris Causa Ofelia Audry of Mexico City. Through a translator, she explained that she pulls the colors through the Jell-O with spoon-like tools with different sorts of smooth and scalloped edges. You can see the detail in picture four. The treat , called Tallado de verdura y fruta, is quite common in her city, she said. For example, it might be served with tea or at a luncheon.

So, wait, you mean to tell me that that entire creation is nothing but jello? Not only are the flowers not real flowers, they were actually drawn, IN 3D!!, in the gelatin? Am I misunderstanding this?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Yep, that's how it's done. I've tried it. I failed. I promised to revisit it and give it a more serious try someday. So far, that day hasn't come. It's hard for me to get into beyond the art aspect, I don't love jello.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

From the article:

Later, I met the woman behind the art, Chef Honoris Causa Ofelia Audry of Mexico City. Through a translator, she explained that she pulls the colors through the Jell-O with spoon-like tools with different sorts of smooth and scalloped edges. You can see the detail in picture four. The treat , called Tallado de verdura y fruta, is quite common in her city, she said. For example, it might be served with tea or at a luncheon.

So, wait, you mean to tell me that that entire creation is nothing but jello? Not only are the flowers not real flowers, they were actually drawn, IN 3D!!, in the gelatin? Am I misunderstanding this?

My guess is something like this.

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is a little old, but Rachel, your Jell-O mold recipe was the best that I found online! I made it yesterday. I used about three tbs of coconut milk whisked into the gelatin for the creamy layers, and even my mom (who hates coconut) loved it! I used strawberry for the double, grape, berry blue, lime, lemon, and orange. I started with the purple first, ended with the red. I let the first layer set too much (uh oh!) so it separated from the rest of the mold. I also had some trouble with the gelatin setting while I was waiting to put it in, but it was easily melted when the cup was placed in warm water. At one point the gelatin separated from the side of the pan and the layer that I had just poured seeped down the side. I poured it right back into the cup, and luckily I had some extra of the previous layer left. I added some more of that to help it set more, and then 15 minutes later it was back to normal. At one point, there was also a crack that formed, but after setting the next layer it was barely noticeable. The next time I make it, I think I may try it with Cool Whip instead, and make it in plastic champagne glasses.

My mom loved it, I was totally impressed, because she typically despises Jello!

• 2 years later...

I think this thread came up recently in another topic and inspired me to make a jello mold in school colors for the spring sports banquet. It was a big hit!

252563_1727171101735_1312154755_31424933_1215833_n.jpg

berry blue & strawberry jello with vanilla yogurt for the creamy layers.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I think this thread came up recently in another topic and inspired me to make a jello mold in school colors for the spring sports banquet. It was a big hit!

252563_1727171101735_1312154755_31424933_1215833_n.jpg

berry blue & strawberry jello with vanilla yogurt for the creamy layers.

Natasha, that is stunning. The school colors tweak is a brilliant idea. I suppose you could do the same for holidays (red, white & blue for the 4th of July, greens and reds for Christmas, and so on). Congratulations on your successful dessert.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's a tip (not sure if it is mentioned upthread): plan how you are transporting it before you unmold.

I unmolded onto a dinner plate and it was just a bit too small and the bottom edges got a tiny bit mangled. After we oohed and aahhed, I realized I hadn't thought how we were going to get it to the banquet because it is JELLO! I don't have a cake cover set up and saran wrap was out of the question so I upended a lightweight pot over it and had my son hold on for the whole ride as I fretted over every speed bump, stop, start and turn. If I had really thought about it, I might have just brought it in the mold and unmolded it onsite and taken the chance it wouldn't unmold cleanly.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

From the article:

My guess is something like this.

Pretty stunning. Especially love the Christmas tree.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have a book for making the "tortas gelatinas" but it's in spanish :hmmm: ...

I need a set of those tools and a translator :laugh:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

You can find some amazing jello items here

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Next page" to keep going.

a search for "Freedom jello" will take you to the page with the red, white and blue construction.

Do look at all the pages, there are some great ideas, lots of fun stuff.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...