• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showstopper Jello Desserts

TrishCT

Back to the mold. To facilitate the process, I made the jello all at once (per Rachel's tip) in individual cups. I marked them to keep the colors straight. I used the ROYGBV color scheme for the rainbow effect. The recipe including tips will be posted soon.

gallery_7993_2428_398273.jpg

OK, I finally got the recipe up, Rainbow Gelatin Mold.

Many thanks to TrishCT for helping to compile the tips and being a great copy editor! :wub:

I also changed the title of this thread. If you have other fancy gelatin desserts to write about, let's put them in here.

Edited by Smithy
Updated outdated link (log)

I just got a cool idea. In about 3 weeks, I have to have a certain medical test, for which I can have only clear liquids - which includes Jello - the day before, along with medication to, well, you know, uh, "cleanse." I can't tell you how I'm dreading it. Although there are some colors of Jello I'm not supposed to have, I can use the others to do something like this. Believe me, I will do ANYTHING to make this less dread-able. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get through a day and a half of No. :shock: Solid. :shock: Food. :shock::shock::shock:

This will help.

And afterward, I'm going to pig out. Oh, the fantasies I'm having about the post-test meal(s)! And I'm hoping to get drugs similar to those I had when I had my knee scoped. If so, oh boy! :laugh:

Jello used to have white grape "champagne" flavor which was great for these mixes but it was discontinued a few years ago.

Oh, then I better save the box of it I have on my shelf for when I need a really white jello and not "waste" it by actually making it as Sparkling White Grape just to consume. lol.

I had Jason take step by step photos of this mold in progress, but he seems to have lost those images. :hmmm: Anyway, here's another tip for you: the original Jell-O recipe uses too much of the creamy ingredient. They recommend 3 T per layer, I use one heaping soup spoonful, probably 1.5-2 T. I think when you use 3T it makes the creamy layers too light. Look at the pictures again, especially Randi's. Her creamy layers are practically white. If you like that, that's fine, but I really prefer the creamy layers to just be an opaque version of the clear color layer.

gallery_2_4_37956.jpg

Rachel, I'm looking at the picture in your avatar (or what ever they call that thing) and at the new picture you posted. The colors are so different. The one under your name is so vibrant. The new one is much darker. Did you use different flavors or is it just the photo?

Rachel has been using that avatar for a long time. The photo above was from one she made last night, and I took it without a flash, actually.

This is one she did in September at the Pig Pickin' event:

gallery_2_1704_27169.jpg

I think there is some slight variation in every time its been done, the one above used Cool Whip as the mixer for the creamy layer. Last night she used yogurt and I think the Jello mix this time used less water.

And I think this is the Version 1.0 mold, from our 1st NJ Pig BBQ back in 2003, which I think Rachel's avatar is based on:

njpigbbq-jello.jpg

Here's one from the 2004 Pig BBQ, this I think was called the Jewel Mold or something, its when you take all the different colors (I think 3 or 4 colors) and let them set on sheet pans, then cut them up into cubes, mix up the colors, pour them into a mold, and pour the yogurt/Jello mixture over them. When you slice into it, its supposed to give the appearance of jewels.

gallery_2_0_233666.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've never used Cool Whip as the creamy, the one from the Pig Pickin used yogurt, but the picture was taken outside on a bright day. The colors might be different because I may have used slightly more water in the jello (I forgot it was supposed to be 1.25 cups and may have used 1.5), and maybe a little more yogurt.

Here's one from the 2004 Pig BBQ, this I think was called the Jewel Mold or something, its when you take all the different colors (I think 3 or 4 colors) and let them set on sheet pans, then cut them up into cubes, mix up the colors, pour them into a mold, and pour the yogurt/Jello mixture over them. When you slice into it, its supposed to give the appearance of jewels.

Yeah, but instead it fell apart. I used too much yogurt in the matrix jello (it looked too much like Pepto Bismol at first) holding the cubes together and it didn't have enough structural integrity to support its weight. The previous time I made the Crown Jewel Dessert, I did it in a loaf pan, and I think that shape has less structural stress.

Meanwhile, Anonymouze was kind enough to send me a pic of Sunday's Rainbow Mold that her husband took:

gallery_109_50_5177.jpg

This mold is darker because I made sure to use just one large spoonful of yogurt per layer. I was also more consciencious of layering on time, while the previous layer was still tacky, so it held together very nicely when sliced. Also, I used Pineapple for the Yellow layer, instead of Lemon. It is a slightly darker yellow, and I think it looks better.

i've made this for the second time now and have used very rich coconut milk for the cream layer and it gives the jello a lovely flavour. also, i have been making them in 1/2 cup size individual molds, and also in clear disposable containers, with a tablespoon of each colour for each layer. this looks very effective with thin layers and definitely not at all like food, and i mean that in the nicest way possible. :biggrin:

i wonder about the jello flavours you use because of the colour combinations you get, especially for the purple and blue as the other colours are pretty standard (i've been using blackberry, blueberry, lime, lemon, orange and raspberry).

this has been a great dessert for the novelty value, and it tastes pretty good too.

thanks, i've had alot of fun with it.

Do you get the actual Kraft brand Jell-O in Australia? They produce a Berry Blue and Grape, that's where I get the blue and purple. Check their website. Perhaps those colors are unavailable down under.

When trying to mix colors to get a third, go gradually, as some colors overwhelm others. For example, it only takes a bit of red mixed into yellow to get orange, not half & half. I don't know what you should do to get blue, other than make a clear gelatin and add blue food coloring.

Regarding the coconut milk... Are you using unsweetened canned coconut milk or the kind used to make pina coladas (like Coco Goya)? I'll try that next time.

I don't know what you should do to get blue, other than make a clear gelatin and add blue food coloring.

Why don't you add Blue Curacao?

Blue Curacao is a sweet blue liqueur, distilled and flavored from the dried peel of bitter oranges. It can also contain distillates of lemons and curacao fruit, sugar and wine. The Caribbean island of Curaçao is host to much of the fruit used in these liqueurs. It is often used to induce color into cocktails and other mixed drinks.

Be carefull with children anyway...

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

For my mold, I used grape, berry (that is the WILDEST shade of blue!), lime, pineapple, orange, raspberry. I am wondering what this would look like in a martini glass.

ooh what a cool idea, the martini glass. I like!

My mold was grape, berry, lime, lemon and strawberry. Only had room for 5 :(

In this pic (without the flash) the creamy layers don't look quite so white. But I actually like how they look (and taste!)

I used sour cream.

jigglers08.jpg

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

actually, what we get is what we call "jelly", and it isn't the kraft brand, but aeroplane (there's a jingle which goes "i like aeroplane jelly....aeroplane jelly for me....and so on and so forth" - it's quite cute). the blue i use is also called berry blue. we don't have grape. i used blackberry for the purple, and that is actually a very nice shade of purple. tonight (yes, i'm at it again), i thot i'd try port wine; it isn't as nice a colour as blackberry, so i might just stick to blackberry in the future. i'm just having a bit of fun experimenting with the colours, but i think the ones i have been using have been the best - they look very artificial and plastic (crazy, i know, but really fun). the grape flavour u mention sounds delicious - i might investigate whether we have an outlet here which has it. i just want to try it more for curiousity's sake than anything else. i was asking cos in some of the photos i notice the first layer is sometimes of a different hue.

the coconut milk i am using is quite thick, thicker than whipping cream, and thicker than the one i have used in the past - i think it is a new product. officially, it is called "rich coconut milk". i haven't tried using it for anything else, but i think if it is heated, i'm sure it will separate and alot of the fat will rise to the top. i can't remember the fat content in the can, but it was significantly higher than that of the regular coconut milk and higher still than the fat reduced coconut milk (obviously). but having read the can, what they reduce in fat is replaced by water, and i am hugely adverse to paying for water unnecessarily. we just use regular coconut milk to make pina coladas.

thanks again.

i'll keep that in mind for when i make this for a cocktail party or somesuch. my nieces and nephews were thrilled when i made the jellies on the weekend and are hoping that i will make alcoholic ones next time.

they would look fabulous in a martini glass. i made some in disposable clear plastic containers with each layer consisting of 1 tablespoon of jello, so the layers were quite thin - 1/8 to 1/4". very effective and artificial looking :biggrin: . my girls took them to school today and their friends were fascinated and clambered around them to get a taste (a teaspoonful each, from what i hear). i really do think the coconut milk has a very complimentary flavour - not at all obvious - very subtle and slightly aromatic.

Personally I love the idea of using coconut milk. It sounds tasty. So much creativity on here. Randi I think your "jigglers" are really cute. I don't have any martini glasses... sigh... so if anyone makes them in them please post a pic, maybe I can justify buying some.

I am making this for tommorow. I have a quick question. Once you dissolve the gelatin, do you wait until it is completely cool before you start pouring?

The recipes seem to skip straight to the pouring part without mentioning what the temp should be.

Can it be warm or should it be completely room temp?

Thanks for the quick help!

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

room temperature.

the only time i use it barely warm is when the jello has been in the fridge too long and has set firm (like it did for me last night because i found out that i had run out of lemon jello). i used lemon jello barely warm this morning in the hopes that it would slightly melt the set layer and bond together.....but really room temperature is the way to go.

actually, what we get is what we call "jelly", and it isn't the kraft brand, but aeroplane (there's a jingle which goes "i like aeroplane jelly....aeroplane jelly for me....and so on and so forth" - it's quite cute).

You can listen to the song here:

http://www.kzone.com.au/transient/aeroplanejelly/home.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host