• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pub-Bistro Menu

glepore

So, I have an agreement of sale for a bar/restaurant on the Bucks/Montco border in the far northern suburbs. Old place, around since 1750's, former owners concept was Irish pub, but it failed quickly and its been vacant for a couple years.

So, while we work thru some contingencies on the agreement, I'm starting to plan a menu. What we need in the area is a good casual pub/bistro - sorta like the places springing up in the city, Standard Tap et al.

I need ideas---what's your favorite pub/bistro "thang"? I'm already going to steal the "trio fries" from the old Dock Street Pub, and am likely converting a rear room into a living room style lounge like Andy's in Chestertown Md-sofas, queen Anne chairs, fireplace.

Let 'er rip.

i love a good french onion soup at a pub/bistro, but only if it's done right. industrial beef-flavored broth doesn't count as 'done right.'

i would love a place to have a jamon serranon on the back of the bar like they do at every bar in spain, where you just order a plate of it whenever.

i guess that's actually kind of unrealistic, though.

one thing i always thought it would be cool if a bar had was a cheese plate. not to the extent of tria, but having a selection of four or five decent cheeses around would be a great thing. when i'm sitting at home drinking and need a snack, a pile of cheese and bread is almost always the first thing on my mind.

i know i'll come up with more.

I second a great cup of French Onion... but it's gotta be great. Not to sound too low rent, but I love it when a pub offers up a nice basket or cone of fresh potato chips with sea salt and malt vinegar. Mmmmm...

Contratulations on the new venture! Are you making this more of a gastropub? I sure would love something near me instead of the ubiquitous bar food. Something comfortable but with some sophistication would appeal to me but I'm sure you really need to consider the neighborhood you're in. A superb burger with fries is always welcome, maybe a green chili, poached shrimp served with a trio of dipping sauces: lemongrass/soy, horseradish tomato, maybe a creamy onion/garlic dip? Really, it depends on how much kitchen you have and want to use.

Good luck!

Wow! Congratulations on the new venture. Where on the Bux/Montco line? Quakertown vicinity or closer to Souderton/Telford? Where ever it is, it is in my general vicinity... would love for it to be a roaring success. I love the idea of a lounge/sitting room like in a proper british pub.

As to wish lists:

Good beers... Shangy's is right up 309... use 'em. Need not be a whole bunch of them, but some seasonal variation would be good. And some education about them for those who are intimidated by the unfamiliar. A beer menu that actually describes the beers rather than just listing them.

I'll second the French Onion, and suggest a loftier challenge- Great snapper soup. The Piper Tavern down in Pipersville does a spectacular version... something to challenge that.

Good cheese and charcuiterie. Maybe chat up Hendricks Farms (just down Allentown Road) and get a steady supply of their cheese... and when/if they branch out into the charcuiterie I'd bet it will be good.

We're in a fantastic part of the world for raw ingredients... stay as local as you can...

How much cooking do you see going on in your kitchen? Frying fries and broiling soups, or do you see real cookery going on? If the latter, stop in at Fasageo's on 563 just before 309... They have a stellar kitchen and do roaring business.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Chris-its the old Gerryville Public House, Gerryville Pk just north of 663. Right now its 70 covers, which we will likely reduce to 50 or so, plus the livingroom style seating when we get that far. It needs a redo inside, current owner has pews from an old church as booths, nice idea, poor in execution, as you can't get in and out easily and the backs are too "laid back"-oh yeah, he put a thacthed roof on as well, which fortunately is just layered over the existing metal roof. Good news is a newish bar and a 10 tap system w/ a new beer fridge. The Victory guys are friends/former clients, so I'll feature their stuff, along with some other locals and a Belgian or two.

The kitchen is tight but workable. I'm envisioning good pub food on the regular menu, with more ambitious specials - some hearty stuff, osso bucco and other braises, and a good simply prepared fish or two. Something like a cross between Bubba's in Coopersburg and Ortino's (just tried that on your recco and was suitably impressed, more so because years ago we remembered what the place looked like inside), with specials that stretch a bit.

My bro-on-law is Johnson and Wales trained (with an MBA to boot), and has done similar concepts sucessfully multiple times now(currently has a place in Doylestown) so he'll consult. I'll turn my law practice back to 2-3 days a week, and spend the rest of the time at the new venture, which is less than 1/2 mi from home. I'll have professional help in the kitchen and a pro behind the bar.

Still a contingency or two, but every day it looks closer to happening by late spring.

Edited by glepore (log)

Wow... Haven't been up to Gerryville for years. As I recall, the inside was sort of dark, dingy and done up with license plates and such on the wall back when I went. That really contrasted with the beautiful patio space they have (had??). I was racking my brains for where it might be... the old Kauffman House is still empty... and bad reports have been coming about the Argus Inn for long enough that it might have been empty by now... And isn't the old Rising Sun Inn or Bell House or whatever it was called most recently for sale too?

Glad that the Ortino's rec gave you some inspiration. They are really really good... had dinner there on Saturday.... Never stopped in at Bubba's in Coopersburg... may have to.

Another spot that does roaring pub business and is a fine restaurant is The Perk down in Perkasie...

Edited by cdh (log)

Had another business related thought for you... You might do well to touch base with Keystone Homebrew down in Montgomeryville, as I recall that they sponsored a couple of wine tasting dinners up at Spinnerstown. Getting some homebrew enthusiast publicity could never hurt a pub... and your location is pretty ideal for them, as their business has two locations, Montgomeryville and Bethlehem... you're equidistant...

And as to food... suppliers are key. The beef that the Inn at Maple Grove gets is top notch... the lump crabmeat that Fasageo's gets now (and the late lamented Airport Hotel on Ridge Pk just before Pottstown used to get) is also something to write home about.

Edited by cdh (log)

What about mussels? One of my favourite pub lunches at home is a big pot of steaming mussels with good chips or wheaten bread to mop up the sauce. All that with a cold beer or glass of white wine. Mussels can be done in a variety of different ways .

What about mussels?  One of my favourite pub lunches at home is a big pot of steaming mussels with good chips or wheaten bread to mop up the sauce.  All that with a cold beer or glass of white wine.  Mussels can be done in a variety of different ways .

Mmmm... seconds on that as well.

The kitchen is tight but workable. I'm envisioning good pub food on the regular menu, with more ambitious specials - some hearty stuff, osso bucco and other braises,

this is a great idea. i don't understand why more bars don't have this sort of thing on the menu. it's hearty to encourage more drinking, it's easy to just do up and have a big pot ready, and as far as deeply flavored dishes that wow people, it can't be beat. short ribs, osso buco, oxtails, beef cheeks, lamb/pork shanks, etc. seems like a win-win to me.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

Suggestions:

1. Bowl of mussels, red or white or both, with good bread for dunking;

2. Bowl of clams, with a different fragrant fume than the mussels;

3. Fish tacos, with a sp;icy remoulade or salsa, a lot of versatility when it comes to utilizing fish on hand;

4. A decent handmade burger, at least 1/3 lb.., with a turkey version at least the same size;

5. Hand-cut fries;

6. A bowl of pasta, with a changing variety of sauces, something I wish more gastropubs would offer;

7. Sausages, either in sandwich form or as a platter with mustards, salsas or sauces to play with;

8. At least one really good salad with good fresh quality ingredients;

9. Good local beers and inexpesnive wines, because they do complete the meal.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Congrats glepore! Sounds great! I like the idea of doing the cheeses from Hendricks up the road.

All good suggestions on good pub grub. The handcut fries, mussels and variations and good wings are crucial too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Must second Rich's sausage thought. But finding a really good sausage maker may take some doing... Locally I can't think of anybody who makes stellar sausages.

Maybe grinding your own would work for you... that would allow you to mix up the selection quite easily, develop your own signature recipes, and probably put out a better value sausage since you know what you're grinding to make it.

You need really good wings and a sandwich like a schmitters.

Or at least a good beef or pork like the cherry street tavern.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Yea, really good wings, with your own ranch dressing.

Other than that, all my other food suggestions are covered.

What about a fireplace?

Don't install one, but it's a big plus if there is one already.

I miss Palladium's.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

All excellent food and beer suggestions! Now on to the wine...

... $10 above cost, please.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Sausages, I agree. Over white beans, polenta - something hearty with a smidgen of greens, yummy. I would eat them in a house with a mouse, Sam I am.

I'm a duck girl. Crispy duck confit over salad with sherry vinaigrette and apples. Duck confit has a great shelf life so if it's not the fastest mover on the menu, it won't become shrink.

Also in the preserved meats - pork rillets.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

All excellent food and beer suggestions!  Now on to the wine...

... $10 above cost, please.

That'd be interesting.

Actually with modern renovation costs, liquor license expenses, etc.

perhaps $15-20 above cost would probably be more doable for the owner

and still reasonably priced.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Great suggestions.

Too bad due diligence has revealed major undisclosed issues which may well be unresolvable. Can't comment yet, but the deal is likely undoable. Luckily, I'll escape financially unscathed and continue the search.

If anyone knows of a turnkey facility in the area that could be refitted for a bar, I may still be able to purchase the license. It would need to be in western Bucks county for it to be workable for me. If anyone somewhere else in Bucks is interested in the info concerning this license, feel free to email me privately.

Upthread, mrbigjas suggested jamon serrano, then rejected it as unrealistic.

Ham, however, is a terrific idea, especially since you are located near, IMHO, one of the premier ham producers around, Bob Moyers' Blooming Glen Pork in Perkasie. Moyers operated a pork pavillion at the Reading Terminal Market for years, but gave it up to concentrate on his core business. I consider that one of the RTM's great losses, because Moyers' no water added ham is a superlative product.

Nothing like a bar offering good ham sandwiches!

I served one of his traditional bone-in hams for a party and guests were astounded -- they just didn't know what real ham could taste like (especially after cooked over indirect heat on my weber).

Hmmm. Fresh ham sandwiches aren't a bad thing, either.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report