• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Morning America

Thank you so much for being here, Sara.

My first question for you is related to what is often first thing in the morning for me, the Good Morning America show. I don't get to see all your appearances on the show, but I always enjoy what I see.

Are you at liberty to say what Charlie's, Diane's and Robin's tastes in foods are like? What is it like being a regular guest on the food segment? It looks as though you all have a good time. I hope they are as nice and as fun to be with as they appear!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have a great time with all three of them. They are really nice and really down to earth people which you can't say of all tv hosts (believe me I have had to work with some real jerks). I especially love working with Charlie because he and I go way back. I started in the kitchen there in '81 working with Julia Child and he arrived several years later. On the first day he made a point of introducing himself to me, the little person in the kitchen, and then he always asked me questions about myself whenever I saw him after that. We also had a mutual adoration for Julia who had a huge crush on him. When I interviewed her for the special we did on food network and asked her about Charlie she get all dreamy and said something like, "He is a lovely man..."

Food preferences -- I don't remember as well as I did when I did all the prep for the chefs (on and off from '81 to '94) but let me see - charlie loves cookies, most melty cheesey things (fattening things) and hates goat cheese and cream cheese. I think he is not a fan of mushrooms. Diane loves crispy items - every year when we cover the fancy food show we try to find a chip for her. She also likes to eat healthy. Robin is a good eater too but I found out the other day that she cannot eat mac and cheese. As a child she had some that made her sick! When we did a mac and cheese tasting we had to get a little girl to do Robin's tasting for her.

Sara Moulton

Ahhh, so that was the little girl's part in the mac and cheese tasting! I missed the very beginning of that piece. That show was good, and it was timely. It was at one of the times I was craving macaroni and cheese, and I was so curious to know what store-bought kind turned out most popular.

Charlie is charming. It's sweet to hear that Julia had a crush. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.