• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York dining secrets revealed!

cru

877460]http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...60entry877460

Mazzola Bakery, Caroll Gardens - Best bread in "Northern Brooklyn"?

I prefer Caputo's on Court Street. :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't know if it's a secret as much as some very local knowledge but the Candelight Inn in Hartsdale still has better wings than any I've had in the city -

Candlelight Inn serves supreme hot wings. I can take spicy food very well and none of hot wings in the City impressed me, but Candlelight Inn got me. I challenged to the most spicy version and called, "Uncle!"

My other secret place is Col Legno on 9th Street. The Tuscan style of subtle pasta dishes and appetizers are awesome.

Edited by docsconz (log)

Becco's on 45th between 8th and 9th was a treasure. The pasta special ($29.95) and the wine list were unbelievable on my trip to NYC last week. There are finer restraunts in NYC but none more fun. Amarones (sp?) on 8th I think, was also very nice. I love Italian, but you figured that out!!

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I don't know if it's a secret as much as some very local knowledge but the Candelight Inn in Hartsdale still has better wings than any I've had in the city -

Thats so funny how well known this place is.. I used to date a girl from Hartsdale. But have met many people from Westchester and this place seems to be the spot..

Is that that great diner right across from the Hartsdale train station? Probably not, but that's a great diner. It doesn't seem to be a secret at all, though; people line up on weekends.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah sorry it's Scarsdale, but it's right near the Scarsdale/Hartsdale boarder and it's all Greenburgh too. I dunno it's confusing. I first went there I think in '90 or '91 when it really was a biker bar and there were lots of scary bikers there and bikes in the parking lot. Once the suburbanites better found out about their wings they expanded to a 2nd floor and cleaned their image up. On a game night it can be a very long wait. And if you get takeout your car will smell like candlelight wings for a week...

2  Katzs Delicatessan.  Just want to put the argument to rest.  This is the best pastrami on the planet. 

I know this is completely off topic, but I have to disagree with this.

Schwartz's deli in Montreal is better - bigger sandwiches, and at less than half the price.

Even with the exchange rate being what it is.

2  Katzs Delicatessan.  Just want to put the argument to rest.  This is the best pastrami on the planet. 

Schwartz's deli in Montreal is better - bigger sandwiches, and at less than half the price.

Being from New York, it pains me to say this but.... I agree. I believe Schwartz's is superior - not even taking price into account. :sad:

Becco's on 45th between 8th and 9th was a treasure.  The pasta special ($29.95) and the wine list were unbelievable on my trip to NYC last week.  There are finer restraunts in NYC but none more fun.  Amarones (sp?) on 8th I think, was also very nice.  I love Italian, but you figured that out!!

I think Amarone is on 9th.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

But Schwartz's doesn't sell pastrami, they have "smoked meat" sandwiches.

But Schwartz's doesn't sell pastrami, they have "smoked meat" sandwiches.

Technically:

pastrami: pas·tra·mi Variant(s): also pas·tromi /p&-'strä-mE/ Function: noun

Etymology: Yiddish pastrame, from Romanian pastrama pressed and cured meat

: a highly seasoned smoked beef prepared especially from shoulder cuts

brisket (a.k.a. "smoked meat") Pronunciation: 'bris-k&t Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English brusket; akin to Old English brEost breast

: the breast or lower chest of a quadruped animal.

I suppose they are a bit different. I'd rather have a big "smoked meat" sandwich in Montreal at CDN$4.55 versus the somewhat smaller (although still tasty) US$12.45 pastrami at Katz's, though. Or am I just being cheap? :raz:

And so the war begins.. Lets keep this to New York..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Also Keens Steakhouse, Or at least until it was reviewed, it was my under-the-radar steakhouse. great atmosphere, good steaks. And this Korean restaurant on 32 street, dont remember the name, but its open 24 hours and always busy. server a bone soup, cold meats, and pancakes. This place is fantastic!

Gah Mee Ohk. GREAT soluntang [sp?]  (ox bone soup). Cabbage, jalapeno peppers served with miso and GREAT kimchi. Pretty banging pajun and yookhwe. Their menu has like only 10 items that they do really well but of course it's all about that damn soup!

Yeah, that's the place!! Best late night dining in the city (3am). Always full and fun and the food is one of the best on the block. Skip Le Express or the usual diner, and get the bone soup.

Edited by cru (log)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're ever in Montreal and wander to Schwartz's, try the rib steak, you won't be sorry.

Being from New York, it pains me to say this but.... I agree. I believe Schwartz's is superior - not even taking price into account. :sad: