• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diffords Guide to Cocktails #5-1

johnder

On a seperate note, doesn't giving people the option of adding to their own cocktails after they have been served lead to "accidents" on the customers part. I am referring to your Pegu Club bar, where you have 4 bitters bottles on each table. I can just envision a customer pouring half a bottle of angostura in their drink by mistake, then expecting a replacement. Or are all patrons forwarned of the potency of each bitters bottle?

The bottles you refer to at Pegu are of the eye dropper variety thus you would have to upend the bottle to pour out half of it. Otherwise the most one could add would be about 3 dashes if they emptied the entire dropper. Most people when presented with a dropper would use caution and assume it is a potent ingredient methinks if not they are probably drinking vodka :raz: . Also there are not "4 bitters bottles on each table" they are brought over with the cocktail order and are: Angostura, Lime juice*, Lemon juice, Simple Syrup. Having never sat at a table for more then a few minutes there and the staff already knowing me to be somewhat versed in cocktails I can't attest to the fact of if an explanation is offered when presenting the caddy. I beleive your premise of " I can just envision a customer pouring half a bottle of angostura in their drink by mistake, then expecting a replacement" is flawed, if a patron walks into a restaurant and pours half of the salt shaker onto the food should they expect a replacement?

Edit: *

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Tom Innes from FLVR took me to Boisedale (in London) one night back a few summers ago, when they were having their annual Cuban festival. He introduced me to the head bartender who was in from Floridita (Havana, not UK club), and was behind the bar. After we had daiquiri's I asked him for a mojito----he automatically offered the bitters because he said it was a better drink, and that's how they made them over there. I agree, and extend the same offer to others.

Separately, the box of cocktail condiments contains 1 dropper each of fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and angostura bitters. The aspect of the dropper bottle is key, and guests understand that if the ingredients come from a dropper, then they just that.... -dropped- in. Nobody unscrews the dropper bottle, and free pours from the container. It's a meted dose. I have watched guests tinker with all of the ingredients, including the bitters. They enjoy the option of being able to tweek their cocktails should they want to. The process makes it fun and interactive, and I'm happy to report that we haven't had a drink returned yet.

Audrey