• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding water at boil point

M.X.Hassett

I was recently at a friends house who's mum is from Taiwan. She said when reheating dumplngs boil method not steam that her uncle would let the water come to a boil add the dump. then add a 1/4 cup of water return to boil, add 1/4 cup water return to boil, add 1/4 cup of water return to boil. What is the theory behind this have you ever heard of this technique?

From what I've gathered, the method of constant quenching does nothing to actually help the dumplings to cook but acts as a crude timing device to allow the dumplings to reach the right amount of doneness. If you have a modern timer, feel free to just time it.

PS: I am a guy.

From what I've gathered, the method of constant quenching does nothing to actually help the dumplings to cook but acts as a crude timing device to allow the dumplings to reach the right amount of doneness. If you have a modern timer, feel free to just time it.

That was my suspision, thanks.

I read (somewhere) that it was, as you said. a crude timing device. No clock or watch, the cold to boil 3X did the job. Also I read (somewhere) that this method kept the dumplings from a fierce boil, thereby keeping the dumplings intact.

this process is called "shocking"

I thought the idea was that shocking made the dumpling skin more elastic ?

like noodles they use this method to give it a more elastic mouth feel.

anyone can confirm this?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

you're right. i did a comparison to see if there was any difference, and there was, albeit insignificant to me, but significant to the purists out there. people should do what suits them best. things like that are more important to those in the old country than the ones who have been overseas for a generation.

this process is called "shocking"

I thought the idea was that shocking made the dumpling skin more elastic ?

like noodles they use this method to give it a more elastic mouth feel.

anyone can confirm this?

There isn't enough water to make a difference, your talking about a 5 degree variance in temps, tops.

PS: I am a guy.

The same technique is used in cooking Japanese noodles such as soba. It keeps the pan from boiling over.

Yes, my mother apply this technique on her noodle as well. I think she is using that for timing as jo-mel mentioned.

Leave the gun, take the canoli